babs70111

New to this site with a question...

Video producer and editor....

So, I'm new to this site and am seeing (in my opinion) highly out of whack bids for what is a ton of work. 

Example: A client posted an example of a video that he/she wants shot for their company. Upon watching the video and examining the shots, this production will involve camera sliders, camera crane, car mount, camera stabilizers (Ronin or the like) and drone with multiple shooting locations, two camera angles of the same shots, so 2 camera operators & lighting for evening fill shots...pretty much a 10-hour day not including travel. Then there’s the edit with an animated intro logo, callouts, outro, royalty free production grade music, color grading, light leaks, etc.

This is EASILY a $1,500 production at the very low end, yet the budget is $30??? THIRTY DOLLARS?????

$30 bucks wouldn’t even cover my fuel costs, yet people are bidding on it? There’s ZEEEERRROOOO money to be made here.

Is anyone actually making substantial cash here or is it just beer money...like one beer?

This site is looking like a glorified Craig’s List that you have to pay for. 

Any input would be appreciated.

Best!

6 REPLIES 6
yitwail

@Chris B wrote:

Is anyone actually making substantial cash here or is it just beer money...like one beer?

Some people are, though not by bidding on jobs like the one you described. For instance, look at the profiles of the 3 Top Kudoed members, Preston, Jennifer, and Petra. All have 6 figure total earnings.

There are some strategies—here on the forum and out on the Googles—for profile optimization, targeted bidding, and attracting invitations that might help you win contracts good enough for whole-six-pack money.

kat303

The budget may be $30 but the client will pick a freelancer willing to do it for $5 (or somewhat less then $30)

And they will get a freelancer who will do this.

Using a smart phone,

• for camera sliders - they will just move forward or backward while hold their smartphone.
  • for camera crane - they will tie their phone to a long slick. (the higher they need to go, the longer the stick)
  • for car mount -  they will hold their phone outside of the car window while driving
  • for camera stabilizers - they will refrain from drinking coffee or any caffeine products before the shoot.
  • for 2 camera angles of the same shot. - they will take the shoot again but stand in a different place
  • for a drone for multiple shooting locations, they will tie a parachute onto the phone and throw it up in the air in different locations. (hopefully the parachute will function correctly and the phone will not be damaged if it drops to the ground and the freelancer is unable to catch it )
  • and for lighting - they will use a flashlight.
  • Finally, for editing - they will use one of those free editing programs on the web, that's advertised for children 3 and up.

So, what's the problem with that job posting?

Absolutely hysterical reply Kathy!!!!!!!! 

bukyyy

That's how it's done. Best advice. DO NOT BID. Cheap client who is more likely than not to give you bad feedback.

I don't drink, so no need for beer money on my end.

Yes, you can earn decent cash on Upwork.

But...

A. You're new.

B. Is there a demand for your skills as a remote freelancer on Upwork?

C. It's not "quick and easy" cash - it takes some work (and I'm understating here).

D. There are decent clients, but it takes some digging - and if you accept contracts from not so decent clients, they can negatively affect MANY aspects of your Upwork freelancing experience (but, that can be said in any "work" position).

E. Part of finding good clients is ignoring the cheapo clients, including putting emotions aside by not becoming miffed or frustrated by the lowballers. 

Good luck!