cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New two-step verification - bug or feature?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
1 of 17

Apparently, I have "enabled extra layers of security" as in having activated two-step verification (go to 'Settings'->'Password & Security').

As requested, I entered my phone number, got sent the "unique code" and was expecting to be prompted to enter said code when logging in. But that doesn't happen. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 18.31.15.png

What am I missing?

ETA: PLEASE, no 'clear cache & cookies' replies. Thanks.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 17

I've flagged your post, Ela. Hopefully a mod will be along soon. As to what you're missing ... probably the fact that nothing seems to work on this site anymore.

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
3 of 17

Hi Ela,

I'll check this with our team and get back to you once I have more information. We appreciate your patience while we look into this.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 17

Ela K wrote:

ETA: PLEASE, no 'clear cache & cookies' replies. Thanks.

DwJP1w7WkAAulxC

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
BEST ANSWER
5 of 17

This issue has existed since the feature was created. I was on a thread about this last year that I am too lazy dig up now. The reality is that the process doesn't work. You get the initial but never any follow-up no matter how many different browsers or locations you are in. They have never had an answer for this and frankly should disable this option as it's misleading. When you can properly handle 2-factor, then enable it. Given the nature of what this is, and it's inexcusable that this has been broken since inception with no apparent attempt to fix. 

Update: I shamed myself into finding it. 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Please-give-us-2-Factor-authentication-option/m-p/526959

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 17

I confirm that 2FA doesn't work on Upwork. It's a joke that beautifully demonstrates the level of trust one may reasonably put into Upwork's digital infrastructure.

Which is a problem since Upwork is a 100% digital business...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
7 of 17

Hi Ela and others,

Two-step verification is working as expected. 2FA is currently set up for high-risk logins. Users will be prompted to enter a code when logging in only if we determine it to be a risky log-in. Several parameters, not just logging in from a new device, are considered when determining if it's risky.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Taylor C Member Since: Aug 23, 2018
8 of 17

It would be great to be able to use an app like Authy instead of phone number for people who change sims frequently.

Ramesh C Member Since: Apr 20, 2019
9 of 17

Hi,

I have completed both verification, but this message is being shown on my profile. Can you please help me ?

"Make your account more secure by taking a minute to enable two-step verification. Enabling two-step verification increases security for your account and the personal information you store with Upwork."

Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
10 of 17

Hi Ramesh,

We checked this for you and you have successfully activated 2 step verification process already. Could you please click on the little X next to the message? That should remove the message and you won't be seeing it again.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS