cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New video editor on Upwork looking for profile and proposal feedback

Ray R Member Since: Feb 4, 2019
1 of 5

Hello everyone.

I used to work in Upwork 1-2 years ago as a content writer, however, I found my passion for video editing. So far, I have about nine 5-star ratings that I have received after completing writing jobs.

Now I would like to tackle video editing jobs. Since I never got paid for my work and I was mostly doing it as a hobby, I thought it would be great to start a new professional path. Sadly, after filtering entry-level jobs and proposing to clients that look for someone who can do the basic video editing for their videos, I yet was not able to even land a single reply after proposing for the past two weeks.

I am looking for help regarding my freelancer profile and my proposals, so I hope someone can help.

Here is my profile description:

https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~01f102890d0e9fa1ac/

And here is the proposal I usually send (I do customize it depending on the job, but this is the general template):

"Hey (name)!

The work that you are looking to get help with seems the right fit for me and my experience. Would you like to share the video you’re looking to get help with as I’d like to have a peek, so I can share better insights?

Would you still consider me as a candidate even if it is my first job on Upwork as a video editor? I am looking to get projects in order to collect new experiences and to receive a good/excellent rating for my Upwork profile for a lower budget while maintaining the quality.

You can check out my Upwork profile to see more detailed info about my experience, my background and my reviews. Let me know if there’s something you don’t see that you’re wondering about. As aforementioned, I am a new fish in the sea regarding video editing but I did my homework and I believe that I will be able to do the job well!

I would be happy to jump on a free 10-minute call to hear about the project in greater detail, answer any questions you might have and help you to decide if I’m the right fit for this project.

I’ll be online working for the next few hours if you want to chat today, so I am very looking forward to speaking to you!

Have a lovely rest of the day!

Best regards,

Ray"

Am I doing something wrong or do I just simply need to be more patient? My profile already got banned once due to the following: A freelancer’s account will be suspended if we notice they have submitted proposals for many jobs on our site, but have won very few contracts or had very few earnings.

It worries me that it happens again, hence I am here hoping to get some help.

Thank you!

Ray

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 5

Ray R wrote:

Am I doing something wrong

The whole point of a proposal / cover letter / profile is to tell clients how hiring you will benefit them and gets their job done.

Yours do the opposite. They tell the client why not to hire and how hiring you would benefit you, not them.

You are also breathtakingly cheap.

Decent clients will dismiss you based purely on that cheap price, leaving you with the bargain-basement chancers who tend to have the highest demands and are as mean to work with as they are with paying.

Either you can do what you are selling well, in which case you must charge accordingly, or you can't do what you are selling well, in which case it is too expensive at any price and you should go away and come back when you know what you are doing.

Selling something you CAN do well at race-to-the-bottom prices is not only profile suicide, it also trains clients to get something for (next to) nothing and hence harms everyone.

3 of 5

Hi Petra,

This is truly an eye-opener, I was not aware that clients think that way and how badly it actually hurts my profile.

There are two more things that are somehow contradicting, but perhaps I am wrong:

If a client sets a budget for i.e. 15$ for a short video to edit, is looking for an entry-level video editor and I propose a higher rate/ start charging more for it, then I will also not land the job as he is perhaps on a budget. What is your opinion on this? Especially how am I able to charge more when I am not reputable?

And my low rate is due to receiving jobs, getting 4/5 star ratings while still delivering qualitative video editing. I do not plan to do it that way forever, but perhaps just for the start? In your opinion, it is not a good approach?

Sorry if you explained it to me already, but I still struggle understanding it completely.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
4 of 5

Ray R wrote:

And my low rate is due to receiving jobs, getting 4/5 star ratings while still delivering qualitative video editing. I do not plan to do it that way forever, but perhaps just for the start? In your opinion, it is not a good approach?

No. It is a commom misconception, and admittedly one I also fell for when I first started 8 years ago.

You already have some feedback. OK, so it is for writing and 2+ years ago but you are not starting with an empty profile.

Up your profile rate for crying out loud! $ 4 an hour? Are you nuts? OK, so you upped it a bit. Not enough though.

Your overview is not helping you to win video editing work. You have no real portfolio. Your youtube channel does not showcase video-editing skills, it showcases vlogging. The linked website is down. Unprofessional.

Go back to the drawing board and produce some videos which showcase your editing skills rather than force a client to watch you walk into a restaurant and read a menu.

Clients don't have time to watch you choose your dinner.

They want to see, in a minute or less, if you have the skills they need or not.

Clients typically get 20 - 50 or more proposals.

They read, on average, maybe half those.

They will NOT, typically, want to go surfing and sit through long videos.

5 of 5

Petra, I will follow your advice and will work on my profile as discussed. I truly am thankful for your help and your straight-up honesty, that is exactly what I needed.

Thank you again for your time and providing feedback, you rock!

All the best,

Ray

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS