Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Here, need a profile review

megamorph
Ace Contributor
Christian B Member Since: Dec 27, 2015
1 of 11

I really need your help, pls help me rate my profile so i could make it more better.

pls. rate my profile:

-Profile Picture

-Overview

-Rate

-Portfolios

-Upwork tests

-Others

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

I'd remove anything that says 'below average' when it comes to your tests. Photo looks pretty good. Portfolio is good. Your English needs a tiny bit of polishing, but it's refreshing to see that your self assesment of your English actually matches your standard of English. It's not uncommon to see a portfolio that says "I is wanting to be doing the good works with you're" and then it says English: Fluent.  

But anyway, overview looks pretty good. I always think it's a good idea to connect the dost for potential clients though. So rather than just a list of things that you have experience in, maybe flesh it out a bit to tell clients what you can offer them and that they should get in touch with you if... 

So rather than 'well experienced in materials estimate', you could maybe go for... 'looking to get an estimate for your project? Need an idea of what your build will cost prior to commencement? No problem! I have considerable experience in material estimates, and would be happy to work with you to nail down the budget for your project etc etc.'

So rather than a commercial that says "this is a drink", you're saying... "Thirsty? Tired? You've come to the right place! This refreshing drink will restore you to a state of optimal liquid impregnation, to banish thirst once and for all. Your soul will be nourished, your body will be revitalised, and your very being will flourish like never before. Just imagine it. Imagine the cold liquid sliding down your throat and filling every single nerve ending with pure, unadulterated pleasure. Buy me. Buy me now. You will never regret it, as long as you will live. But if you do not buy me... you will weep uncontrollably like a small child for the remainder of your miserable existence. You have been warned. Now go out there and buy me. Spread the word."

That's just me though, others might not agree.  

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)

View solution in original post

d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
3 of 11

@Scott E wrote:

So rather than a commercial that says "this is a drink", you're saying... "Thirsty? Tired? You've come to the right place! This refreshing drink will restore you to a state of optimal liquid impregnation, to banish thirst once and for all. Your soul will be nourished, your body will be revitalised, and your very being will flourish like never before. Just imagine it. Imagine the cold liquid sliding down your throat and filling every single nerve ending with pure, unadulterated pleasure. Buy me. Buy me now. You will never regret it, as long as you will live. But if you do not buy me... you will weep uncontrollably like a small child for the remainder of your miserable existence. You have been warned. Now go out there and buy me. Spread the word."

That's just me though, others might not agree.  

LOL you sure have a way with words, Scott!

megamorph
Ace Contributor
4 of 11

This is super helpful!! i got the point when you said "this is a drink",  "Thirsty? Tired?" its really about selling your service Like advertising you services rather than displaying them...  this is sooo enlighting i have never though of it this way.. thank you soo much sir scott.

megamorph
Ace Contributor
5 of 11

I have change my overview many times and i'm having a hard time putting them together in a paragraph. I'm not very good at words and so is my vocabulary =(

farhadpir
Farhad P Member Since: Jan 14, 2016
6 of 11

Hi all Guru and seniors,

I'm also newbie here, can you pls have a look my profile, valuable suggestions are always welcome to create a better profile ..

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 11

Farhad,
I do not believe that your profile is set up for success.

I counted the different skills and technologies you claim to have expertise in. I counted 25, and that's grouping ALL the Wordpress skills together as one skill.

You should not have 25.

You should have 1.

Maybe 2 at the most

When you are starting out as a newbie contractor on Upwork, you should keep in mind that you have zero jobs, zero hours, zero feedback.

Why should a client hire you when your profile looks like hundreds of thousands of other contractors? (It does, by the way.)

You should focus on one skill area and craft your profile to convincingly convey the idea that you are a genuine expert in that ONE skill.

I think you're kind of close to doing that, as you have a certain focus on Wordpress...

But you need to get rid of all the other junk. No client wants to hire somebody who claims to be an expert in 25 different things. They need an expert in one thing. Maybe you're not really claiming to be an "expert" in 25 different things, but to a busy client who looks at your profile quickly, that's what it looks like.

As you gain some experience on Upwork, you may choose to add some additional skills. But you might find you make more money by keeping your profile more focused on one thing, even one sub-specialization within Wordpress development, for instance.

That way you will stand out.

Right now your profile does not stand out.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 11

Farhad, the most important thing to remember about a profile overview is that it must be original and not copy pasted from several identical overviews on the internet. Not only is this dishonest, but you will find it hard to get a job, if a lot of you all bid for the same job with identical overviews and identical portfolios. What is more, although it is difficult to tell who the originator was, in your case, the freelancers with 'your' profile do not seem to have done particularly well.

I would suggest going back to the drawing board and creating a completely new profile, written by you in your own words, with your own, honest experience. If your portfolio really is yours then so much the better, if not, create your own.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 11

Farhad, thank you for being our plagiarist of the day. Nothing like stealing your overview and posting on the forum.

These people really like to steal from Australians.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 11

But it's a vicious circle, I think a few Ozzies stole from elsewhere - whatever - nobody seems to have had much success with the "profile"! Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS