epetipit

Newbie questions

Hi Upwork Community! 

I'm now more than a month working as a freelancer. I'm still considered as a newbie, if I'm not mistaken, right?

So as a newbie I have some sort of questions that I believe some of you can relate with as you have been once a newbie like me. With your experiences, I'm quite sure you can shed some light on my fluttering thoughts and curiosities. Below are some of the questions I have as for this moment.

1. Can I use an unverified Paypal account to withdraw my earnings without Paypal holding my money? Also, do you have any idea whether Paypal account requires minimum received amount of money for me to be able to use my money (e.g. to shop online)?

2. I wish to hear advice from you also whether it would be great if I look now for other jobs despite having an existing contract of 6 h a day 'til Sept. 2, 2016. I'm still hoping though that my contract would be extended.

3. Regarding rate increase, would it be okay that if before I request for a rate increase, I can ask first my client what criteria can be considered to grant my request?

4. Would my earnings be still available despite my contract ends?

5. Lastly, have you ever experienced asking your clients whether you can ask them personal questions? If yes, would it be okay to know if it goes pretty well?

I'd love to hear from you. Thank you in advance. 

12 REPLIES 12

@Eunice P wrote:

Hi Upwork Community! 

I'm now more than a month working as a freelancer. I'm still considered as a newbie, if I'm not mistaken, right?

So as a newbie I have some sort of questions that I believe some of you can relate with as you have been once a newbie like me. With your experiences, I'm quite sure you can shed some light on my fluttering thoughts and curiosities. Below are some of the questions I have as for this moment.

1. Can I use an unverified Paypal account to withdraw my earnings without Paypal holding my money? Also, do you have any idea whether Paypal account requires minimum received amount of money for me to be able to use my money (e.g. to shop online)?

2. I wish to hear advice from you also whether it would be great if I look now for other jobs despite having an existing contract of 6 h a day 'til Sept. 2, 2016. I'm still hoping though that my contract would be extended.

3. Regarding rate increase, would it be okay that if before I request for a rate increase, I can ask first my client what criteria can be considered to grant my request?

4. Would my earnings be still available despite my contract ends?

5. Lastly, have you ever experienced asking your clients whether you can ask them personal questions? If yes, would it be okay to know if it goes pretty well?

I'd love to hear from you. Thank you in advance. 

1.  An unverified payment method spells disaster and will fail reflect your sense of responsibility as a business owner.
2.  To reach destinaton B, one must first go to location A, I guess (at least in this scenario).
3.  I haven't experienced asking about this yet.  My clients volunteered to raise my hourly rate. lol
4.  What do you mean by that?
5. Are you looking for a future spouse?

Ouch! It hurts to read your reply, but I respect your opinion, anyways. Indeed, people have different perspectives in life. Oh regarding the last question, I asked about that because I have read an article saying that freelancers and clients can be friends, and by the way, regarding the spouse? Why should I dare to, not all clients are men, right? I value professionalism and I have priorities. Anyways, thank you for taking time reading and responding.  More powers! 🙂

@Eunice P wrote:

I respect your opinion. Indeed, people have different perspectives in life. But thank you for taking time reading and responding. More powers! 🙂

Did I offend you in any way, Eunice?

To be honest, a little bit.  Sorry, I'm a little fragile.

What number are you referring to, Eunice? I apologize.  I can clarify my intent (behind those comments and questions) if you wish.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Eunice,

Here are some answers:

1. Your PayPal doesn't have to be verified if you are adding it as a withdrawal method. Verification is required for clients when they add it as a payment method.

2. As a freelancer you can work on more than one job at the same time so you can certainly start bidding on jobs. Make sure however that you only take on as much work as you are able to complete.

3. I encourage you to search this Community for more threads about raising your rates. It's discussed quite often. Here is a good thread about it.

4. If a contract is hourly, the client will be billed and the funds will be released to you according to the billing cycle regardless of the contract being closed or not.

5. It may depend on your and client's communication style. In Any case, make sure you always stay professional when communicating with a client.

~ Valeria
Upwork
vdubeau

As far as #5 personal questions that really all depends on the client and the situation. I have a non Upwork client that I have been working with for over two years. It's a company run by two brothers. We often go off on tangents and talk about general personal things. Sometimes we just BS about other things.

It is something that you have to be able to sense that it is OK to do which is not alwasy easy to do.

The best answer would be "NO" do not ask personal questions. If you feel you must test the waters stick to general things and always start with offering something from your end first.

Example: "It's really hot here today. What's the weather like where you are"?

Silly example but these types of things can give you a feel if the client just wants to be all business or is willing to engage in idle chit-chat.

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai

Funny the two women talking; I could suggest that is inadequate to speak to the client personal things, is very unprofessional, in the first time is the client that can emerge for want to make friends, is he that decides first and after the worker. Do not try ask silly things to the client, in the labouring world is the paramount always that choose for, but in the labouring world there is very few opportunities for make friends, dont try make all the world person friend: you have no time. 

The primary psychological caution I would state regarding asking clients personal questions on Upwork (or any business platform) is...

The human tendency to think, "Ok, we're friends now, right? Can you do this for free?"

Others may have valid, differing experiences. And in-person communications tend to be different than distance/over the Internet business relationships. 

Personally, even with freelancers I hire, I keep it on a professional level (I'm wordy and have to curb my tendency to go off topic with freelancers as we've got that "you're a freelancer, I'm a freelancer" tribal vibe going at times). 

Some freelancers work, or have worked, with clients for such a long time that the definitive boundary between "friends/acquaintances" and "you pay me for my work as agreed" is well established. 

Best Wishes,

K.C.

cupidmedia

Eunice, you've received good advice from Valeria and others. I'm only going to respond to your #5, with a question of my own - *what kind* of personal questions? If you are wanting to make your relationship a bit more friendly, Vince's advice about talking about the weather is a good place to start. If you're wanting to ask things like if your client is single or something, then you definitely shouldn't do that.

My freelancers all have different levels of familiarity with me, ranging from strictly business, through general "how's the weather" or "did you enjoy the Olympics", to discussions of personal issues that may affect their performance (e.g. a new baby in the family). I definitely suggest you err on the side of "strictly business" here though and judge from how your client speaks to you. Being more formal and less personal will almost never cause you problems, but going the other way could very easily do so.

vdubeau

I agree with Jennifer. I'm sure we all realize that are many different types of personalities. I've been in IT for many years. Fifteen of those as a consultant taking contracts in corporations that could be a little as a few months to several years. I found that the consultants who kept things strictly business a lot of times would be viewed as arrogant or aloof by the employees (same issues could sometimes be said of employees Smiley Happy).

I would be friendly even with the IT director: 

Me: "Morning John, how was your weekend?"

John: "Good, how was yours?"

Me: "Pretty good?"

After a few months that would most likely turn into:

Me: "Morning John, how was your weekend?"

John: "Great, the wife and I had a nice weekend getaway."

Me: "That's great! Where did you go?"

Again this all sounds silly but I think building a good relationship with clients is important. It doesn't always have to be "real personal" but should be personable.

I even had one IT director where we stayed friends long after the contract was over.

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai

Hi there Ms. Juvy Ann, Valeria, Kat and Jennifer, the same with Mr. Vince and Carlos. Hearing and learning from your insights and experiences is priceless for me. I have learned something new today. I think I should always keep those pieces of advice as I run my freelancing career. 

I didn't mean to ask too personal questions with my client. Maybe it was just in my use of words that some of you have misinterpreted me. I guess I have made my own share of mistake. Thanks once again. More Powers to all of us!