🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Newish to Upwork and would love to get a prof...
Page options
speironnet
Community Member

Newish to Upwork and would love to get a profile review

Hi guys I'm newish to upwork(I've had an account for about a year but only recently started actively looking for jobs). I ended up picking up a few clients in February out of nowhere, but since then I've been hard pressed to get even an interview. I think I might just be going about this wrong, so I'd love some input on my profile and my cover letter. I cant tell if it's too wordy or maybe too formal? In all honesty I'm just a collgege student paying tuition and I don't have enough real-world experience in this area.

My typical cover letter usually looks simialr to this:

"

Good afternoon [Client's Name],

I'm Simone Peironnet. I have 5 years of classical art and graphic design experience so I can provide you with totally unique and original designs. From children's books to icons to infographics, I'm well versed in communication with a target audience. Besides my qualifications, I'm just passionate about design. I often do local work pro bono for nonprofits just for the sake of designing something new and exciting. I love a challenge. I'm well versed in pretty much every Adobe product, including Photoshop and Illustrator.

I hugely enjoy working with packaging design because of the endless possibilities it presents due to its versatility, and to this day most of my favourite past projects have been packaging-based. It's one of the most interesting areas of design because it allows for one of the highest level of user engagement possible in marketing, and usually generates a higher amount of brand loyalty the stronger the branding is for that packaging. I also have 3 years of experience working on the printing end of graphic design, which allows me to format templates correctly and quickly in order to have the most efficient job possible.

I will work my hardest to fit your specifications while also pushing the boundaries of the design. My website is attached to this cover letter to show samples of some of the work I've done over the last 2 years.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Simone P.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Thank you guys so much, I know this was long!

4 REPLIES 4
digiphics
Community Member

Simone,

First and foremost, stop using "I" statements and your proposal talks all about you and not the project and how you are going to make this client happy. You don not discuss your process, what they will receive in the end and how you are going to make their live easy. I can, I am, I'm the best never works. A client wants to read how you're going to fix their world by creating a stellar logo, kick butt infogaphics, PPT presentations that will rock. Treat the proposal as a 10 second elevator speech, if you don't catch their attention fast and make them read a book, they will look elsewhere. Each proposal should be unique to the clients project. Are you providing samples of your work with the proposals? Clients want to see relative work to their project and they don't like having to go to the web a click another link.

Good Luck, I hope some of what I said helps you some. Much Success

This is really helpful thank you! I think I'm having a hard time understanding how to show off qualifications without it sounding like a an "I'm the best" kind of statement, do you think you could give me an example?

Simone, I disagree with the suggestion to avoid “I statements”. However, the sample cover letter you provided is too long and too general in my opinion. You’re a graphics professional so the most effective way to pitch your services would be by way of your portfolio, where clients can judge your skills and style. So give your website link early in the proposal, right after a quick recap of your experience and expertise.

Simone, based on the buyer's RFP

1. Get your portfolio out there as John mentioned

2. Ask questions based on w/ the RFP says - get buyer unconsciously telling you what he/she really needs

3. Now list your specific qualifications... and here "I" or "mine" is fine.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members