🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Next steps with a project
Page options
kdvgraphics
Community Member

Next steps with a project

I have someone that is interested in working with me now. They have approved me, but I need to know does everything go through Upwork, or do I use their system to submit work and get paid?

This would be my first time working with Upwork.

11 REPLIES 11
wlyonsatl
Community Member

The client has sent you a contract through the Upwork system?

Is the payment arrangement hourly or fixed price?

No we did a meeting through google hangouts and he emailed me their onboarding letter.  Is this normal?

The payment is hourly.

Kevin V wrote:

No we did a meeting through google hangouts and he emailed me their onboarding letter.  Is this normal?

The payment is hourly.

You're being scammed.

Walk away and if any check arrives, rip it up. One of the oldest and dumbest scams on the Internet.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I need to know does everything go through Upwork, or do I use their system to submit work and get paid?"

Payment must go through Upwork only.

Everything else: that is between you and your client.

You may submit work through Upwork, but you don't need to.

If it is a fixed-price contract, you should always use the "Submit Work / Request Payment" button, even if you don't send them any actual files using that button.

If it is an hourly contract, then you should definitely use the Upwork desktop time-tracker tool. But you don't need to submit any files through Upwork.

Ok yes, I have a client telling me that they will be paying me directly through their system.  They are from the Netherlands.  I wanted to confirm that the money should be coming from Upwork and not the client directly.  

How do you vet the businesses that sign up on Upwork.  I want to make sure this is not a scam.  

re: "No we did a meeting through google hangouts and he emailed me their onboarding letter. Is this normal?"

Not normal.

This is a scam.

re: "They are from the Netherlands."

Ha ha.

No, they're really not.

Stop communicating with these people. They're just trying to steal money from your bank account. When freelancers follow their instructions, they typically lose $2000 to $3000.

tlbp
Community Member

It is probably a scam. Even if not a scam, it violates the TOS and will get you banned from Upwork. Sorry. If you visit the New to Upwork section of the forums, you can learn more about how to spot scammers. 

kdvgraphics
Community Member

Oh wow.  Thanks for letting me know.  I felt that this was not right.  An interview through text messages on google hangout.  I figured they would at least do some time of video conference or something.  Ok yes, I need to get familiar with some of these scams out there so that I do not mess up my account.  Thank you all for your help.  I will end communication with him and let him know that I will have to decline his acceptance.  

Kevin V wrote:

Oh wow.  Thanks for letting me know.  I felt that this was not right.  An interview through text messages on google hangout.  I figured they would at least do some time of video conference or something.  Ok yes, I need to get familiar with some of these scams out there so that I do not mess up my account.  Thank you all for your help.  I will end communication with him and let him know that I will have to decline his acceptance.  

There is nothing to decline here, you have not received an offer. Once you identify a scammer, don't spend another second of your life on these people. 

I assume you are located in the US, which makes you a prime target of the good ol' check cashing scam. Next time you will know right away. 

Yes I am in the US.  I will be sure to look out for these from now on.  My fear is that they did get my name and my signature.  No other information was sent to them after I suspected that it was a scam.  

re: "My fear is that they did get my name and my signature. No other information was sent to them after I suspected that it was a scam."

Don't worry.

They didn't get what they were after. They're done with you.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members