Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Approval for Profile!

yasirazeem77
Yasir A Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
1 of 8

Greetings everyone!

I brought a friend on upwork, she completed the profile, her profile gives 100% bar. Still she is unable to get her profile approved.

She has added relevant skills, experiences and portfolio but still there is no change.

The sad part is that when she posted in the community to resolve the issue, she got banned from here due to God knows what reason!

Worst thing is, when its sent for review... An instant response comes back that your profile stiill isn't approved. How can that be the case? As it should at least take some time for the review process.

Need a good answer for this from Top Solution Authors.

Thanks in Advance.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 8

There are many areas of Upwork that are way oversaturated and they are not letting new people in.  Areas like Data Entry for one. 

The reason she was probably taken from the community is because until they get their profile approved it is better that they don't post here.  This is part because a lot of the posters would have fake profiles, overviews, portfolios.  Not saying this was your friend's case, but I figure they take them out also if there is no room for their profile here at the time.  

The best advice to people has been to go out get more education and more experience and try again in six months to a year. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 8

If they let the rejects post, this forum would be flooded with them. She should try again in 6 months or so if she has some experience. If she has none, then she should get some and come back maybe in a year or two.

yasirazeem77
Yasir A Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
4 of 8

This is really bizzare thing to know that one should go out and gain some more experience/education...

Well about her education, she is a University graduate, an engineer. And well if experience matters that much, why did my profile got approved 8 months back? I also had no experience what so ever.

This is not the right way to do by Upwork.

She was in for Content Writing. I know data entry field is already flooded with people. But she also added her Chemical Engineering skills which also was not acceptable to the upwork.

Are there so many Chemical Engineers providing services here??

I guess not!!

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 8

@Yasir A wrote:

This is really bizzare thing to know that one should go out and gain some more experience/education...

Well about her education, she is a University graduate, an engineer. And well if experience matters that much, why did my profile got approved 8 months back? I also had no experience what so ever.

She was in for Content Writing. I know data entry field is already flooded with people. But she also added her Chemical Engineering skills which also was not acceptable to the upwork.

I guess not!!

No, it's not bizarre and it's exactly what they need to do to distinguish themselves as leaders. Too many low rent noobs were mucking up the system.

You need experience to be effective here. They are going for enterprise customers, so they need people who know how to handle the work.

Chemical engineering is not a skill that is useful here.  If she wants to do content writing, she needs to build a portfolio and come back in 6 months or a year.

yowiedesign
Community Guru
Craig A Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
6 of 8

@Yasir A wrote:

I guess not!!

So, 8 months ago you had no experience, and yet on your profile you claim to have 2 years of experience?

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
7 of 8

Yasir, just to echo Katrina and Jennifer, there have been many posts about potential Upwork freelancers who don't get their profiles approved (usually because their work category is saturated) asking about what they can do. The best advice has already been given (Katrina mentions it) - get real-world experience and try again later. But definitely not in a short amout of time. If your friend continues to submit her profile in rapid succession she's going to keep getting the same response. Some say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result. It's very unlikely that between when your friend first submitted her profile and now that either enough freelancers left the platform or enough new jobs were created to balance out the ratio. The review process doesn't need to take long when a freelancer is submitting for review in a category that's saturated. 

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
8 of 8

Yasir, having Content Writing as a skill as well as Chemical Engineering makes it seem as if the freelancer is not an expert in either field. Even if she is great at both, they are different enough that she should choose. Successful freelancers on Upwork specialize in their field. Just because I can bake an amazing cake doesn't mean I list baking as a skill that would benefit clients on my Upwork profile. I'm sure that content writing seemed like a good way to get into the platform, but there are many professional content writers here on the site already who are doing that work. You may have had your profile accepted just before the bubble burst, so to speak, and your category became saturated. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS