Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No, I will not work for free!!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Diana S Member Since: Jan 27, 2015
1 of 5

I am so sick of dealing with clients who just want free sample after free sample! (I'm in voice work.)
I have a great demo and tons of videos on my portfolio... and they still want free samples "just to make sure you are THE voice!"

How many times does one have to say, "I don't provide custom samples for free" before somebody gets it? Why do people keep replying trying to wheedle me into it after I say no?
I offer short ones for a measly fee of $5 - which basically gives me nothing for my time except perhaps a little dignity - but come on! 

Guh. I feel like in the last few months, all the clients I have been dealing with are just total crap. Was't this whole overhaul supposed to make the system better for freelancers to?

On the plus side, after a month of being basically absent from Upwork, I have jumped like 10 % points and am now apparently Top Rated... gotta love those good good mechanics.

Rant over. Sorry guys..

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 5

Great that you are top rated!

According to the the ToS and the mods, it is strictly against the rules for a client to ask for free samples. However, no such ruling appears to have been applied to the freelancers. So there appears to be a very grey area here.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Khadezatul K Member Since: May 1, 2015
3 of 5

great news

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mr M Member Since: Apr 27, 2013
4 of 5

Haha , I am happy that ur JS is increased  Smiley Tongue 

"One thing I know, that I know nothing. This is the source of my wisdom"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 5

Stick to your guns.

How does it benefit you to give free samples to clients who are simply using Upwork to get work for free and have no intention of paying people for work?

It doesn't benefit you or anybody else. So you're on the right track.

A good client doesn't ask for free work. Not here, and not anywhere else. No matter what the rules of the particular platform stipulate.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS