🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » No Invites. No Hires. What's Wrong?
Page options
jpabloyn
Community Member

No Invites. No Hires. What's Wrong?

I've been on Upwork for about two years now, and lately I haven't been getting any invites, nor have I been hired.

It's quite ironic, since I used to get invites almost daily when I was just starting out. Today I'm a Top Rated freelancer with a 99% JSS score, a much better profile than two years ago and not a single negative review, yet I'm not able to get interviewed/hired. It happened all of a sudden, from one day to the other I stopped receiving invites and getting hired.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

8 REPLIES 8
leeannmerrill
Community Member

When did it start?  Same thing happened to be starting about two weeks ago.  Is this somehow connected to coronavirus freakout?

Is this somehow connected to coronavirus freakout?

Not at all.  I received 2 invitations yesterday.  Both were asking for skills not in my wheelhouse.  

robin_hyman
Community Member

Juan Pablo Y wrote:

I've been on Upwork for about two years now, and lately I haven't been getting any invites, nor have I been hired.

It's quite ironic, since I used to get invites almost daily when I was just starting out. Today I'm a Top Rated freelancer with a 99% JSS score, a much better profile than two years ago and not a single negative review, yet I'm not able to get interviewed/hired. It happened all of a sudden, from one day to the other I stopped receiving invites and getting hired.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I've also been on the platform for about 2 years.  I stopped relying on invitations a year ago.  They are usually not aligned with what I do.  Instead, apply to jobs.  Be picky about how you spend your connects.  Spend time crafting a proposal that stands out among the competition.  Keep trying.  

Currently I have 2 ongoing projects and recently I've been contacted by previous clients.  It couldn't hurt to reach out to clients you've worked with and check in to see 1) how they are doing and 2) if they have any work for you since you have some availability next week.  Just don't sound desperate.  

Good luck!

Yeah, but it's weird, my profile has been getting exactly zero views for about two months now. There must be something wrong...

kbadeau
Community Member

When I search for Spanish translation, you don't come up in the first 15 pages, so I gave up. Even searching Spanish Translation Juan you were on the 3rd page. Upwork rotates who comes up on top in search so maybe you're just in a lull because of that. I was getting not much for all of January and February, then last week my views spiked by 55% and I now have more invitations than I can respond to.

hgreenvid
Community Member

Wow this is funny, I just made a very similar post to this. At first when I was replying to jobs I felt like each application got a response, and in the last 3 weeks not a single reply. I don't have any advice or insight, but I've definitely been having the same issue lately.

Haley G wrote:

Wow this is funny, I just made a very similar post to this. 

People make similar posts to this EVERY SINGLE DAY. Freelancing is tough and I'm pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of people on this website don't experience a steady, reliable stream of work (especially if they're new). You'll have ups and downs - it's normal.

Christine A wrote:

Haley G wrote:

Wow this is funny, I just made a very similar post to this. 

People make similar posts to this EVERY SINGLE DAY. Freelancing is tough and I'm pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of people on this website don't experience a steady, reliable stream of work (especially if they're new). You'll have ups and downs - it's normal.

It's interesting to note how many people think freelancing is an easy, sure way to make a steady living. I wonder why they wonder what the problem is. I think some of it is Upwork's deceptive advertising.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members