Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Job Invites since stats came out

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
11 of 29

Hi Suzanne,

In addition to having more visibility into your specific account, they can also help get a better sense of the impact the issue is having in the marketplace (number of users affected). That's tougher for us to assess as not all users come to the Community (darn) to post about issues they're experiencing.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natalia G Member Since: Jun 8, 2008
12 of 29

Thanks Suzanne,

But it's just since these Stats came out that I am not even getting a chance....

Started outsourcing my skills elsewere, just in case, sorry oDesk!

Still going strong on oDesk but I spend hours everyday applying for jobs (only super-relevant jobs) and nothing. They just give the jobs to inexperienced freelancers with many MANY errors in their resume..just because they have only done 1-6 jobs and haven't had the chance to get bad stats...which I don't understand... For me 78% is bad as I have completed successfully 68 out of 70 contracts, with excellent reviews...

Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Maria C Member Since: Feb 3, 2015
13 of 29
It's been exactly a week since I received the last invitation, about the same time that my Stats were rolled out. Coincidence? I don't know, my Job Success is 93% and even though I know is not perfect, is not bad either. Of course, I am always aiming to 100%, but must I assume that i am not receiving invitations or getting hired because I am not on the top?

Working in oDesk is like going back to school, isn't it? With all the grades and scores. Don't get me wrong, I feel perfectly comfy with this system, I used to be one of those straight A's nerdy type of person, and I don't mind receiving a fair calification, especially when it comes with a feedback that helps me to improve my skills, but I really would love to know what is going on with the invitations. Is my name not showing in the freelancer search?

Having said that, I must also say that I appreciate the effort oDesk is making to improve the site to guarantee a better experience for both, clients and freelancers. Also, a big thank you to the forum's regular users, I have learnt a lot reading you, as a newbie and trying to make it here, the tips you provide are priceless.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
14 of 29

Hi Maria,

In order to help you with this, our team would need to take a look at your specific case. Please check in with Support so they can assist you further.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Chetan C Member Since: Feb 11, 2016
15 of 29

It's not happening with only person. There are so many freelancers who are delivering a top notch quality work, having a strong profile with above 90% job sucess score, amazing portfolio but still not getting invitations. 

It has become hard to get projects on Upwork with system of 60 connects which use 2 connects per bid it means 30 bids only a month. 

Like me, almost every freelancer has become frustrated and now looking for other options because they need to have alternative also. 

Upwork should consider this problem and understand it is causing them loss too. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
16 of 29

Well as mysteriously as my job invites stopped coming in I got one this morning albeit it was nothing to do with what I do, I received one. 

Thanks mods for your recommendation to speak to support but I avoid speaking to support like the plague. It takes them days to answer a question and generally when answered it has nothing to do with my problem. 

Seems funny I say something here and all of a sudden I got an invite though this morning.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Chetan C Member Since: Feb 11, 2016
17 of 29

Suzzane, I agree with you. 

Upwork support systems is really nightmare to deal with. 

You have to wait 24 hours and more to resolve your small issues. 

It's very shocking that for a platform with such a huge user base there is no chat system available. 

I too avoid talking to Upwork customer support system. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
18 of 29

Maybe its due to the fact that Elancers are now replicating their profiles on oDesk

So I believe there are thousands of new Elancers on the platform.

Some of those Elancer's have amazing profiles with many jobs completed.

So there is going to be more competition on all jobs and less invites to go around.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
19 of 29

Garnor says

Thanks for the report Suzanne. The introduction of My Stats shouldn't have an impact on your Job Invites. If you want to check in with our Customer Support team, they can take a look to see if there are any identifiable issues there.

Suzanne N says

Garnor?

What can customer support check that you guys don't know? I would be happy to send in a support ticket, but really don't want to overtax the poor support team already ...

Garnor says

Hi Suzanne,

In addition to having more visibility into your specific account, they can also help get a better sense of the impact the issue is having in the marketplace (number of users affected). That's tougher for us to assess as not all users come to the Community (darn) to post about issues they're experiencing.

Garnor,

With all due respect, but it is about time for oDesk to appoint someone from oDesk's development team to interact with the Community. We are telling you straight out that there is an issue with the invites. Whether it is because of the Stats, the mad robots or the shuffling of profiles, it's not our job to keep contacting the reps. daily. They are swamped already.  

In my case, the invitations came to a screeching halt on February 28. It is exactly 14 days ago. Do you know when the last time was when I had a decent (perfect fit job) stream of invitations? Last year, and they were gradually replaced by invitations to jobs that have absolutely nothing do to with my work (as you may recall from our previous discussion). Has anything changed since I contacted oDesk for help? No, in fact, things got worse for me. So why should I waste my time and contact CS again? 

Ever since oDesk started experimenting with the website and its features, things have gone from bad to worse. Just take a look at all the complaints in this forum and put them all in a timeline - it should make perfect sense.  

You can't run a business on autopilot using poorly designed features and low-cost labor. Fix things that are not working and stop promoting quantity instead of quality. And please think things through before you decide to introduce a new feature. oDesk has become the house of Riddler lately pulling our legs with its mysterious gimmicks and riddles. We don't know what to expect around the corner or what oDesk might turn against us in the future. There is no transparency whatsoever and we have to figure things out on our own. Why? We pay you 10% of our earnings and expect your service to be working daily. 

There is a plethora of reasons why our work is being affected by oDesk and why so many top performing freelancers have abandoned this place. I have hopes for the new platform and I appreciate any step in the right direction, but two years of suffering until then is too much. Please listen to your users and stop playing around with metrics and features that cause nothing but frustration and bad reputation to oDesk.

I received an email the other day about the new Top Rated program and that I am one of the highest-performing freelancers on oDesk. Well, thank you for stating the obvious but being successful in my job should not be rewarded with premium or personalized support. No offense, but I am not here to chit-chat with your CS reps.; I am here to work. What am I supposed to do with a Top Rated badge on my profile when clients can't find me and I get no invitations? 

Don't bother replying me Garnor because there is really nothing you can do or say that will make things better. Empty words and promises mean nothing to me.

Extremely disappointed...

Highlighted
Mary Grace L Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
20 of 29
It's really becoming a habit frequenting this forum nowadays. I actually THOUGHT there was something wrong with my account since I've only received 2 invites in weeks. I even asked CS about this.

After a torturous month of being under review, I was so glad that that's over. And now, nothing. It's as if I'm just wasting my effort on writing up applications. To think that I've had a good start this year too.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS