Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No UK VAT number

gdmcsl
Gary M Member Since: Apr 28, 2018
21 of 28

yes what I'm asking is very simple:

Has anybody from UK (not France, Poland, etc) managed to get their payments from UpWork WITHOUT SUPPLYING A VAT NUMBER?

gdmcsl
22 of 28

Has anybody from UK (not France etc) managed to get their payments from UpWork WITHOUT SUPPLYING A VAT NUMBER?

P.S. I HAVE read the rest of the thread as well as the site's 'help' and the OP from UK does state "Upwork will not allow me to collect payment unless I provide a VAT number."

kfarnell
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
23 of 28

I am not VAT registered and so have never supplied a VAT number. And I regularly withdraw payments, as my profile shows.

gdmcsl
24 of 28

and you're working from UK, thank you Kim

izy72
Ilze Z Member Since: Jun 29, 2018
25 of 28

Hi Gary, I have the same issue than you. I work from the UK and I can not withdraw money from Upwork. Is there any person, who can help with this question - how to withdraw Upwork earnings if you work from the UK and you do not have and you don`t need the VAT number? Thank you.

Quick update regarding my comment - I've done it! It works without VAT number. Just need to fill all sections out, like your business name (i added my full name), check the box "non-USA person", check the box where asked that you never gonna be work from the USA, etc and click "Save". For VAT section, just click "No VAT number" and save. And that's it, it works. My money is on the way to my account, yippee. Hope this helps. Have a great time.

egmguevara
Ernest Genesis G Member Since: May 13, 2019
26 of 28

Hi, are you being charged VAT aside from the Upwork fee? Because apparently, aside from the 20% Upwork fee, there's an amount indicated for VAT. All along I thought that if you're a UK freelancer without VAT number, VAT will be automatically added to your 20% Upwork service fee. 

Clarifications on this one?

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
27 of 28

Ernest Genesis G wrote:

Hi, are you being charged VAT aside from the Upwork fee? Because apparently, aside from the 20% Upwork fee, there's an amount indicated for VAT. All along I thought that if you're a UK freelancer without VAT number, VAT will be automatically added to your 20% Upwork service fee. 

You seem to be confusing charging VAT to your clients (which you do not have to do in the UK if your income is below the threshold) with the VAT that Upwork charges you on its service fees. If you have a VAT number, you can get exemptions from paying VAT charges on goods and services for your business; however, you need to charge VAT to your clients. If you do NOT have a VAT number, then you DO need to pay VAT on goods and services (such as the Upwork fee). Either way (VAT registered or not), you can still get paid on Upwork. 

If your income is below the threshold, IMO you're better off not registering for VAT - it's a pain in the ass having to fill out all the forms all the time, and of course your clients will be happier if you're not charging them an additional 20% every time you invoice them. 

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
28 of 28

Ernest Genesis G wrote:

If you look under Reports > Transaction History, you should see a "VAT" item for each "Service Fees" item, assuming that you're not VAT-registered. Does that answer your question?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS