🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » No answers to proposals and invites even thou...
Page options
alplo
Community Member

No answers to proposals and invites even though I have 100% job success

Hi, fellow upworkers! I worked on upwork last summer and autumn, then I got a full-time job as an editor and translator and quit upwork for a while. 

This month I returned to the platform again. I started submitting to proposals and spent it all in 2 weeks as each proposal required from 4 to 6 connects with the new policy. 

Have no answers and invites. I write personal cover letters, no spam, and copying, have 100% job success — and nothing. Looked at profiles of people who got jobs I submitted to, and many of them are newbies. 

I wonder what is the problem. Can you please check my profile and comment on it? Maybe I have to make a specialized profile though I don't see a need in it since I have the same field in general profile.  

https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~01fd024d1e5b6cb33e/

Thanks! 

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Welcome to the new Upwork.

You'll need to be very selective in how you spend connects from now on. Since this is a system just being rolled out, there is no way to know how well it will work. Jobs are going to be tougher to get unless you adjust your freelancing business structure to survive the changes as they happen.

Everyone is in the same boat right now.

Thanks for the answer! Do you think a specialized profile can help anything? 

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

It's too soon to tell. I've been experimenting but have seen no value to it yet.

There's no metric for it, so who knows?
emily_reactant
Community Member

All I can suggest is that you try varying the types of jobs you apply for and how you write your proposals to see what works best for you.

One thing I noticed when I was trying to build up my client list was that I got better response to proposals I wrote in the internet browser (not the app) on my phone. I tried to desconstruct what it was about these proposals that got better results, and figured out that I was using much Hi"shorter lines and smaller paragraphs on my phone because it was usually when I was out, and also it looked like a lot more words in the mobile browser.

I'm not saying this will work in your case exactly, but you should try experimenting with writing style, length of proposal, different greetings, etc. - maybe even try using your mobile if you find it changes your writing style. After all, you'v got nothing to lose.

Another thing I find useful when I need to find work fast is to filter my search results by adding "(urgent OR immediate) to the end of my searches. You won't get as many results, but they will all be people who are eager to get going on their project ASAP, so it may well get you up and running again. Once you have some more recent projects listed on your profile it will be much easier to get work, in part because you will have worked out what works well for you.

As far as your profile goes you seem to be in a very small niche. You may find that many of the jobs in your niche are in fact for the same clients, ones who have already (for whatever reason) decided not to hire you. Maybe you should branch out to include more areas, or set up some sub-profiles targeting different types of clients, e.g. business clients, academics, or whatever.

You might find that there are jobs that require a lot of translation or a bi-lingual freelancer that aren't advertised under the headings you're searching under. It very much depends on what the client thinks it should be listed under, and as we all know that isn't nescessarily always the most obvious tags or headings.

kristine_madden
Community Member

I quit using Upwork temporarily last year while i was pregnant and in the process of moving, I started back up in May and was getting hardly anything. Then I created two specialized profiles and now I am get one or two invitations to interview per day. It definitely seemed to have helped once I gave in and made the specialized profiles. In the past week my stats went up dramatically (+40% from the previous week)

Thanks! Do you know how to make a specialized profile as main?
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members