cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: No client history in direct offers

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
1 of 40

When you receive a direct offer from a client, means without being invited to send a proposal, you see nothing about the client. You cannot see their feedback, location, hires, amount spent, etc.

You just see the offer that you can accept (and the contract starts), decline, or discuss. But you have no way to assess the client. At least this was my recent experience.

Why is that? Can it be fixed?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 40

I guess I've never gotten a direct offer from a new client - I would not like to receive an offer where I couldn't do a little vetting. I would assume the best option to choose would be "discuss".

I doubt UW will fix it ... but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 40

Hi Rene,

Our team is working on adding client details to direct job offers. I see you took appropriate steps and messaged your client before accepting the offer. To access the client's details, please contact Customer Support and our team will share all the relevant information they can about this client.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
4 of 40

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Rene,

Our team is working on adding client details to direct job offers. I see you took appropriate steps and messaged your client before accepting the offer. To access the client's details, please contact Customer Support and our team will share all the relevant information they can about this client.

I am glad this is in the works; when I received a direct offer some time ago I immediately suspected the client to be a scammer... I also emailed him and he told me all I needed to know. He was baffled that there was no way for me to check out who he was.

Just out of curiosity - what qualifies as relevant information in this context? I am asking because CS seems very reluctant (or refuses) to share details about clients we have already worked with, even though some of us need that information for tax reasons.

5 of 40

I have received some direct job offers with no information in the past and always rejected them because I did not trust the client.

6 of 40

@Ela K wrote:

I am glad this is in the works; when I received a direct offer some time ago I immediately suspected the client to be a scammer... I also emailed him and he told me all I needed to know. He was baffled that there was no way for me to check out who he was.

Just out of curiosity - what qualifies as relevant information in this context? I am asking because CS seems very reluctant (or refuses) to share details about clients we have already worked with, even though some of us need that information for tax reasons.

I asked CS for the addresses of two clients I needed for the tax authorities. They refused and refered to the client's privacy. After insisting they got in touch with those two clients and left it to the clients if they wanted to provide their details to me or not. One of them did the other one not.

Highlighted
7 of 40

Hi Ela,

Our team can provide client details otherwise visible on a job post page and in case this is not the client's first posting, a link to their previous job post.

Hi Margarete,

I can confirm we don't share share clients' address details for privacy reasons. 

8 of 40

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Ela,

Our team can provide client details otherwise visible on a job post page and in case this is not the client's first posting, a link to their previous job post.

Hi Margarete,

I can confirm we don't share share clients' address details for privacy reasons. 

Yes, I know this but it is not acceptable for freelancers from most countries. I understand that clients like this one in my job feed from France who is looking for a freelancer from an Eastern European country to check the prices for his pistol (so that he can sell it) has a privacy concern. And of course he is not using his real name. Privacy means that patient documents are not publicly shown on Upwork. It does not mean financial streams can be conceiled and that clients can do a shady business anonymously .

Indirectly, you have admitted that Upwork does not plan to hand over the invoices to the freelancers, because then they would see the names/fake names of the clients. 

9 of 40

@Margarete M wrote:

Indirectly, you have admitted that Upwork does not plan to hand over the invoices to the freelancers, because then they would see the names/fake names of the clients. 

Hi Margarate,

It may appear so but that wasn't my intention, since my reply is referring to clients from direct offers Rene and Ela posted about. I can only reiterate that our team is working on a solution to overcome the inconvenience freelancers from the EU are experiencing.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 40

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Margarete,

What about this?

• Information about Clients and Agencies Shared with Freelancers: If you have entered into a service contract with another user, we may provide him/her with your name, address, or tax ID or VAT number in order to complete the transaction or to facilitate the resolution of a claim or dispute. The user receiving your information is not allowed to use it for purposes unrelated to the transaction, such as to contact you for marketing purposes, unless you have expressly consented to it.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS