cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: No earnings accumulating?

bcsirrah
Bernadette H Member Since: Apr 25, 2016
1 of 11

Hey there. I'm new to Upwork and was having trouble finding answers to this problem on the general help page. I've been working with my first client for about a month on a fixed price job and am having trouble understanding the payment schedule. It seems that I'm supposed to see earnings accumlating once the client releases "milestones." However, no milestones were ever set up for this job; I simply post the article via attachments on the messages board per the client's request. My current balance is showing 0. 00.My account is set up to not let anything be withdrawn until at least 100 has accumlated, but again, no balance is even showing up. Not sure where I'm supposed to go from here with obtaining payment. Was just wondering if anyone had any tips. Thanks! Smiley Happy

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 11

If escrow has not been funded you need to stop immediately and there's a good chance you have just worked all month for nothing.  Never start work until the escrow is funded. Check your "my jobs" tab and see if the escrow has been funded.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
bcsirrah
3 of 11

okay, so I have done as you all advised (thank you so much) and when I went to my jobs, it says I have no active jobs. Does that mean the escrow isn't funded? Agan, I haven't been here long and aren't sure how to navigate the site. I'm going to contact the client and ask about releasing a milestone. before I do anymore work for them. Thanks so much again for preventing me from going any furhte

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
4 of 11

I'm sorry, but as Vlad explained, you don't even have an active contract.  There is no milestone to release.  If your client doesn't officially hire you and fund the milestone, you will have to take it as a very important lesson.  Please look at Vlad's post to you and read all the links before taking more work.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 11

Hi Bernadette,

Yes, Escrow is not funded because there isn't an active contract for it. Please refer to the resources I've shared and ask your client to send you an offer with a funded Milestone for the agreed amount. Once you accept their offer, the job will show up on your My Jobs page. Once that happens, you should submit the files through the dedicated message room, go to the contract details page and click the green Submit Work/Request Release button.

Please read the Help Articles I've shared in order to resolve this problem and continue to successfully use your Upwork account. 

Untitled
bcsirrah
6 of 11

Thank you so much Vladimir. The client apologized and submitted a contract today. I followed your instructions and I've officially been hired and can now see the job on the "my jobs" page. Smiley Happy

But because my official hire date is today, though, there's no balance for the work done previously. Is this work "lost" or should I speak further to the client about getting paid for it? I'm assuming the balance is going to accumulate from jobs done from today on, but I would like to know how to handle the ones done previously. I didn't want to start badgering the client unncessarily if he's done all he can on his end...

Sorry to clutter up this forum. I'm very grateful for all the replies I've been receiving. You've all been very helpful.

kulkarni_ashish
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
7 of 11

Good that the client has been fair. If the contract is a fixed price one, make sure that the milestones are funded.

You should definitely ask for your pay for the work you have already done.

I am assuming your contract is hourly, so you should add manual time (through the team app) for the hours already worked after speaking with your client. Manual time is not guaranteed under Upwork protection though. 

If the contract is fixed price, you could either ask the client to release a part of the milestone; or you both could mutually agree to club it with the payment for future work.

kulkarni_ashish
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
8 of 11

@Bernadette H wrote:

Hey there. I'm new to Upwork and was having trouble finding answers to this problem on the general help page. I've been working with my first client for about a month on a fixed price job and am having trouble understanding the payment schedule. It seems that I'm supposed to see earnings accumlating once the client releases "milestones." However, no milestones were ever set up for this job; I simply post the article via attachments on the messages board per the client's request. My current balance is showing 0. 00.My account is set up to not let anything be withdrawn until at least 100 has accumlated, but again, no balance is even showing up. Not sure where I'm supposed to go from here with obtaining payment. Was just wondering if anyone had any tips. Thanks! Smiley Happy

Aaargh. Why do you do this? Why? why? why? Sorry, no payment for you. 

Ask him to set up a contract for  the work you have already done and ask him to release the milestone. If he stops replying, you will know you were scammed. This is more your fault that you were taken advantage of.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 11

Eh... Don't take it too hard.

Lots of newbies make this kind of mistake.

You probably won't get paid for any of his work, but you'll learn and won't make the same mistake again.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 11

Hi Bernadette,

Unfortunately, you're not yet hired for this job. 

If you go to Find Work > Job Applications you will be able to check whether any of your applications were accepted. Applications you see in the "Active Candidacies" section have been accepted and the client would like to discuss the job further or have an interview with you, but that doesn't mean the job is awarded to you.

Don't start working without an active contract, which would show in your "My Jobs" tab. You can find more details here.

Stop working and ask your client to award you the job, so they will be able to process the payment for the work you have already delivered, and fund new Milestones for future tasks. If your client needs assistance in doing this, ask them to contact Customer Support and our team will guide them through the process.

If you client doesn't respond, please take screenshots of your communication and share them with Customer Support.

Before submitting any new proposals, I strongly advise you to read the Help articles from the Getting Started as a Freelancer section and our "A Freelancer's Guide to Upwork". Please also check our educational videos and best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS