🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: No hire, but job is closed , didnt get my...
Page options
bushra_a
Community Member

No hire, but job is closed , didnt get my connect back!

Yesterday I applied for a job. Now I was checking the update and discovered that the client didn't hire any freelancer, last seen the job 11 hours ago and the proposal range was  15-20. Now the job is closed and archived but I didn't get my connects back. What actually happened there? I am really confused.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bushra, 

It looks like the Connects you used for the job has been refunded back to your account. You may check your Connects History page (Settings > Membership & Connects > Connects History) for more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

53 REPLIES 53
joynul33
Community Member

Hi Bushra,

If the job was closed then you do not back the connections. you will get back the connection if it's far canceled without rent by both the purchaser or Upwork.

Thanks!

Joynul

The client didn't hire anyone!  Isn't it unfair?   What a wastage of valuable connects for new freelancers like me!

It's no longer only for you. It's a totally unethical system for all freelancers, I believe. Upwork know the best system for their users. 

Joynul

I have same issue here

Hi Arpon,

We return Connects only when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bushra, 

It looks like the Connects you used for the job has been refunded back to your account. You may check your Connects History page (Settings > Membership & Connects > Connects History) for more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork
bushra_a
Community Member

Do I have to check it manually every time it happens? Please note, I didn't receive any notification that the connect was restored. Thank you.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

This will be up to you, Bushra. If you think it's worth your time to check your Connects History, then it would best to check it every now and then. 

I also looked into this and can confirm that an email was sent to you with the subject "A job you submitted a proposal to was closed" on 16-February. Kindly check your email's spam or inbox folder for more information.

~ Avery
Upwork
bushra_a
Community Member

Thank you very much for your cooperation. Now the issue is clear to me  🙂

dd63c576
Community Member

Ma'am, The same happens to me, I have attached a SS of some of my 16 proposals closed with no connects returns but one. 

Hi Saddam,

I checked your account and it looks like the team has already escalated your concern to the appropriate team for further check. They have also reached out to you directly via a support ticket and you can check it here

~ Joanne
Upwork
523f0720
Community Member

Hi! I have received several emails indicated that the job(s) I have submitted proposal to have been closed. I checked the job posting and not one of those jobs hired anyone. I have been waiting for my connects today be returned but nothing has been returned.

Could you kindly help fix this issue for me?

Thank you!
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Selah,

Connects are only returned if a job is canceled either by our team in case it’s in violation of Upwork TOS or by the client if they don’t want to proceed with it. While some clients take time to hire on their jobs and often come back to review candidates weeks after they posted a job, postings with no activity for more than 30 days are automatically closed. You can find more information here.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Bushra A wrote:

Do I have to check it manually every time it happens? Please note, I didn't receive any notification that the connect was restored. Thank you.

I never check. It is simply not worth my while.

If the connects are returned - fine.

If not, the closed job didn't qualify for the connects to be returned.

I also never look at jobs I applied to again. I apply and forget all about it unless and until a client gets back to me. 

Hi Avery, I have the same issue.  A job was closed due to another freelancer being hired but I have not received back my connects.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Chinh,

We return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. You can find more information here.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
12f7af29
Community Member

I faced the same problem. The client didn't hire anyone and my connects are wasted.

more than 50 connects are wasted and ho hire and job closed.......and i also did not get my connect's back......you can check my archived tab it will shows there

Hi Mohammad,

Please keep in mind that connects are not refunded for expired jobs. We return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service.

If you have any additional questions let me know. Feel free to reach out to me via PM with an example job as well if you would like me to check any details. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Please check that some of the clients do that what actually i am telling to you ....they closed the job without hired anyone.

Hi Mohammad,

Feel free to reach out to me via PM (click on my name) with a few job examples so that I can check the details and advise you accordingly. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

these are few....you can check in my accounts archived

They expired through inactivity. You don't get connects back in that case.

Thank you for the follow up Mohammad,

The job post you`ve shared has expired and that is the reason why they were closed. Please refer to my instructions in my previous post about when connects are refunded. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
rafsun_ug
Community Member

I usually don't check connects history but I check my "connects number" in the feed every day...many times. And I don't think you return the connects back in 99% case for a closed job without hiring. As an example, this job was closed today without hiring anyone! 

I should get 4 connects back. But I got nothing!

In the last 90 days, there were many jobs closed without hiring anyone. But I got my connects back only from 6 of them. 

Hi Rafsun,

I would like to clarify that the job you`re referring to was not closed by the client but it has expired. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Ok, please tell me that if Awaiting milestones is showing any project.....so we cannot get qny project is that correct......please clarify the statement.

Hi Mohammad,

Could you please share more details so that I can advise you accordingly? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
e553b858
Community Member

i am new on upwork. i have used all my 20 connects. kindly tell when connects will be renew. i dont want to buy new connects

petra_r
Community Member

Best Out Of B wrote:

i am new on upwork. i have used all my 20 connects.

They won't

Best Out Of B wrote:

i dont want to buy new connects

Then you will continue not to have any connects.

Hello, I received connects on job closure fot 2 jobs. But now one job is closed by client without any hires showing. So I should get my connects back but I didn't get for this job. The job link is https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~01ff667f7c1e421416. Can someone check this out, or I'll have to raise the issue  some where else.

Thank You.

Hi Nabeel,

Thank you for your question. Looks like the job post you're referring to is still open, hence why you have not received your connects back. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Thanks, for your response. But the proposal for the job is archived and the status is closed for the job. You can see the file attached.

8c2938fc
Community Member

I have the same problem, my connect have not returned after 2 weeks. Smiley Sad

petra_r
Community Member

Pouria S wrote:

my connect have not returned after 2 weeks.

They won't return. If you need more connects, you have to buy them.

amad345
Community Member

I also applied for jobs and two of them were closed/canceled but I didn't get any connects back.

When client did not hire me or and job closed or expire, then my connect should be return, but i did not get my connect back. Please action asap for this.

Thanks & Regards

Manmohan A wrote:

When client did not hire me or and job closed or expire, then my connect should be return

This isn't true. Connects are only returned if a client proactively closes the job post or Upwork takes it down for a violation of the terms of service.

When a job post expires or the client hires someone else, you do NOT get the connects back.

Manmohan A wrote:

Please action asap for this

There is nothing to "action". It is functioning a designed.

jesus-zoe
Community Member

Hello, I had the same issue. This makes me scared of buying connects or applying for a job on Upwork. It's totally discouraging. Thank you, merry Christmas and a happy new year.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths