🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » No interviews, no invitations, no viewed by c...
Page options
lucianabass
Community Member

No interviews, no invitations, no viewed by clients

Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure whether writing this post was a good idea or not. First of all, I had a look through the forum and posts, and I saw quite a few presenting the same problem. Many of the answers mention algorithm tendencies or changes in the profiles Upwork shows. They say that it boosts some profiles and not others based on the different regions, etc. There's a lot of information, and it can be overwhelming. The thing for me (as mentioned in the title) is that even though I send proposals, I get no responses whatsoever. There's a new tool implemented by Upwork that tells you if the client has viewed your proposal, and out of 15 proposals, only 2 got viewed, but none has written back. I have received no invitations in the last few months (maybe 6 months), and my stats show super low Profile Views, sometimes 0, sometimes 1 or 2, and very rarely a number above that. I am Top Rated with a 100% JSS. I wonder why no one even bothers to open and read my proposals. It's so frustrating. I would hugely appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Luciana

16 REPLIES 16
mdbutnayem
Community Member

Hi Luciana,

It can be frustrating to send proposals and not receive any responses or invitations on Upwork. Here are some tips that may help you improve your chances of getting hired:

1. Optimize your profile: Make sure your profile is complete and showcases your skills, experience, and portfolio. Use keywords that clients may be searching for and make sure your profile is well-written and professional.

2. Apply to relevant jobs: Apply only to jobs that match your skills and experience. Avoid applying to jobs that you're not qualified for, as it will waste your time and the client's time.

3. Write personalized proposals: Take the time to read the job description carefully and write a personalized proposal that addresses the client's specific needs. Be specific and showcase your value proposition to the client.

4. Build your portfolio: Build a portfolio of your work and showcase it on your profile. This will help clients see what you're capable of and may increase your chances of getting hired.

5. Stay active: Stay active on Upwork by bidding on projects regularly and updating your profile and portfolio as needed. The more active you are, the more likely you are to be seen by clients.

6. Consider taking relevant skill tests: Upwork offers various skill tests that you can take to demonstrate your proficiency in your field. Completing relevant skill tests will make you stand out to potential clients and increase your chances of getting hired.

7. Seek feedback: Seek feedback from clients on completed projects. Positive feedback can help you build a strong reputation on Upwork and increase your chances of getting hired in the future.

Remember, it can take time to build your reputation and start getting hired regularly on Upwork. Be patient, and persistent, and keep improving your skills and profile. Good luck!

Thanks,
Nayem

MD N wrote: Consider taking relevant skill tests: Upwork offers various skill tests that you can take to demonstrate your proficiency in your field. Completing relevant skill tests will make you stand out to potential clients and increase your chances of getting hired.

Upwork removed their skill tests several years ago. Did you use ChatGPT to make this post?

So annoying reading this. Especially for long-standing freelancers, we know how it works. It's Upwork ruining our businesses through algorithms.

Oh and bidding on projects? Yup so you have to pay Upwork for connects so you end up losing money. No other platform does this to their long-standing freelancers.

lucianabass
Community Member

Yes, I've been around here for a while now. I am not a beginner anymore. I have read and thought about all these things already. Still, very tough.
Thanks for your answer.

mrittika_mondal
Community Member

It is surprising but true, even I have not received invitations for the past few months. But I am still trying giving my best effort to make my proposal stand out. 

emmac6248
Community Member

Me too and I used to get 30+ a month. 

nabiyaemaan
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure whether writing this post was a good idea or not. First of all, I had a look through the forum and posts, and I saw quite a few presenting the same problem. Many of the answers mention algorithm tendencies or changes in the profiles Upwork shows. They say that it boosts some profiles and not others based on the different regions, etc. There's a lot of information, and it can be overwhelming. The thing for me (as mentioned in the title) is that even though I send proposals, I get no responses whatsoever. There's a new tool implemented by Upwork that tells you if the client has viewed your proposal, and out of 15 proposals, only 2 got viewed, but none has written back. I have received no invitations in the last few months (maybe 6 months), and my stats show super low Profile Views, sometimes 0, sometimes 1 or 2, and very rarely a number above that. I wonder why no one even bothers to open and read my proposals. It's so frustrating. I would hugely appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Nabiya

OK, are you the same person as the OP? Why are you plagiarizing the OP's post?

This is just becoming a jungle, Jeanne.

These are the same individuals who boost their proposals up to 80 connects, shading other proposals such as Luciana's. 

Do REAL professionals boost their proposals up to 80 connects?

Imagine this.
UW pre algorithm-extravaganza. Pre boosting-thing. Pre a lot of things. When you could still say "early bird catches the worm".

You submit a proposal but you're not one of the first one to do so, therefore let's say your proposal is at number 15. Or even 20. If the client is really interested in finding the perfect match for their project, they might have a look at your proposal, even though is quite down the list. You might get the chance to get an interview, land the job. Or they might find a good freelancer before they get to see you waiving your hand. Fair enough. I used to thing of it as a "fair competition".

What about now? What's left after there are maybe 15 or 20 boosted proposal (not with a couple of connects....I've just seen a whooping 80 connects boosted 1st place), coming from questionable professionals?
As I client, if I had to open 20 proposal only to discover there's nothing worthy in it other than the amout of money spent to boost it, I'd be more prone to open few more "real" proposals and hire someone who looks good to me. I wouldn't be waisting time vetting more freelancers, as I did before UP turned into what is is now. 

As freelancers, we don't know what the client receives. The little "50+" is meaningless. I have talked to real clients who receive hundreds, literally hundreds of proposals. So again, we have Upwork purposely distorting the figure so more suckers, ahem, I mean freelancers, will throw those connects. Clients do receive hundreds of total garbage proposals from people who have done nothing to freelance, be on Upwork, or even have a photo of themselves.  Clients and freelancers alike hate the boosting system, but to be fair, some freelancers like it. When the limits on connects was obliterated, the situation became worse. The real problem is the clients who receive 300 proposals and the boosted and top 20 are wretched. They hate it, are disgusted, angry, and frustrated, and they leave the platform, with their money, never to return.

emmac6248
Community Member

I am sorry to say that this is part of the algorithm too. I'm the same. Your proposals go to the bottom of the pile of 50 plus proposals and you likely pay for your connects so you're good for money making too. There's no point in sending proposals. Clients always favour invited freelancers so it's a vicious circle. You don't get invites, the clients invite others, you send a proposal but the client doesn't even read it because he or she only wants invited freelancers.

053e01db
Community Member

It is true, But I am still trying to give my best effort to make my proposal stand out.

c41247ed
Community Member

Invitations and good stats problem is so genuine

developerabhi
Community Member

Hey everyone, I am facing a similar issue with my profile. Despite having a top-rated profile, earning $70k, and having fewer hours, I am not getting enough replies and conversions lately. Although I am receiving views, my potential clients are not responding, even though I write excellent proposals. Previously, I used to get good replies and conversions, but now I am not sure what's wrong. I have fixed my intro, added a good portfolio, and decreased my rates. Could you please take a look at my profile and let me know what's wrong with it?
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~019a4cb69785eab473?viewMode=1

Please feedback and suggest as I am very much worried

Nothing you've done is wrong. Read all the posts, it's mainly an algorithm problem 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members