cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The problem with receiving notifications about new messages

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
21 of 46

Hi Helmy,

One of our customer support agents will reach out to assist you further. Feel free to post any questions you may have on the ticket so the agent can assist you directly. Thank you!

-Joanne
Untitled
Dmitriy Z Member Since: Jun 4, 2018
22 of 46

Hello to all.
I have difficulty getting notifications about new messages.
I do not receive any notifications. There are no notifications in the application for PС, not on the mobile device, not on the e-mail, even when visiting the site, I do not see a green counter of unread messages above the "messages" link. I can see new messages only when I go to the page with messages.
The strangest thing is that this does not work for just one client. I am sure that I received notifications from other clients yesterday and today.
Is it possible? It can be fixed?

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
23 of 46

Hi Dmitriy,

One of our customer support agents will reach out to assist you further. Thank you!

-Joanne
Untitled
Lee M Member Since: Jun 30, 2014
24 of 46

I am also experiencing this issue and posted a reply to a different post that didn't have any replies from December 2018. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having the problem but it is disturbing. However, while searching for other posts, I did come across an intelligent post that suggested we not rely on the notification technology offered by Upwork, even though we do pay substantial (IMO) fees. We should take the resposibility to check on the Upwork site regularly to make sure we are not missing important messages from our clients.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
25 of 46

Hi Lee, 

I checked your previous tickets about this case, and I can see that the team has shared that the reason why you didn't receive an email notification for the messages you received was because you already read and opened your messages through the Upwork Message Center. You may read more about it in this ticket

On your Notification Settings, you will see that it's noted that you will only receive emails for unread activity. Just the same, I will go ahead and follow up your new, open ticket with the Customer Support Team so that they can assist you further.

-Avery
Untitled
26 of 46

Thank you for your reply, Avery. As you could probably also see, this issue has been a recurring one for me. If I had already seen the message, I wouldn't be concerned about getting an email notification, so I'm not sure how that is a resolution to the ticket. I always have a tab open to Upwork, either Messages or Reports, sometimes both. I understand there is a setting to only send notifications if I'm not online or not active, I'm not sure how that works, other than to take it literally. In that case, I'd never receive an email because I'm always signed on. However, I should still see a little number on my Messages tab or if I go to the Reports screen, correct?

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
27 of 46

Hi Lee,

Yes that is correct, if your messages tab is not opened a little number will appear and indicate that you have new messages. If your tab is opened the number won't be showed next to the Messages field. Thank you.

Untitled
28 of 46

Do you mean the little number will appear next to the word 'Messages' when I'm looking at my report overview, for example? This must be a new 'feature' because it used to show a little number on my tab with the open Messages screen.

Yan E Member Since: Nov 19, 2018
29 of 46

Hello everybody. I've experienced the same issues you discussing here. There was no notifications either from current client, or from a new chat. i've missed interview because of it, and every message started by my client after a break..there were no notifications on mobile, desktop or green sticker on the web. Support guy says to me that i've read messages thats why no notifications appear. But i've tested it all week long to check if it maybe was my mistake. So what i propose is to get rid of desktop app, and use it only when needed. cause for me it works today, i've asked my client to do test messaging and we succeed, i have been notified via ios app, Thats maybe not comfy for someone but at least you are notified when you got urgent task. I'll keep testing but i guess it'll work for me. Have a good one all

30 of 46

It is very unfortunate that this notification has changed somehow. It was very helpful to get an email and/or notice that there was a number next to 'Messages' on my Google Chrome tab or even next to the word 'Messages' when I was looking at 'Reports' or 'My Jobs'.

I got an email notification that someone added a post to this thread...

Now it seems we must click on Messages to actually go to that page to see if we have messages - very unfortunate, as I said earlier. If anyone knows of a better way or something I may be doing wrong, please let me know. Thanks!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS