communication with my clients.
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
32 of 46

Vitaliy K wrote:
My solution is not to rely on Upwork's messaging system. After several
times of missing important messages, I finally switched to other means of
communication with my clients.

I've learned my lesson as well. In the past year, I've missed several messages and invites by clients because Upwork didn't deliver email notifications. Customer support was very unhelpful in each case, so from now on I'll just give my email address to all my clients.

Unfortunately this won't help for brand new clients who send me invites and messages. I don't know what we pay 20% for if even basic site functions don't work.

Susan G Member Since: Feb 26, 2019
33 of 46

Hello. I have not been receiving message notifications from a current client for the last week or so. It just so happens that I check for jobs a few times a day and it's at that point that I see there's a message. I was receiving notifications from him before that, and I have not changed any of my settings.

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
34 of 46

Hi Susan,

I've shared your report with our support team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly to advise you further regarding your notifications concern.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
35 of 46

Is anything being done about this. I had an invitation to which I replied and the client answered two hours ago on Upwork. I had no notification, and I have only just seen it. 

Upwork, we pay for this, we pay for that - we are paying for a service, and when it works it's good. But it is still a service and we are your clients. Our clients are your bread and butter, so it would be great if you could iron out the glitches in client/freelancer communication.  

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
36 of 46

Hi Nichola,

I'm looking into your account and it looks like, generally, notifications about unread messages are being sent to your email. Email notification is not sent if a message is registered as "read," and that's what had happened in most cases discussed on this thread. A message would register as "read," when Messages are open in a browser tab on in the desktop app. Did you by chance have Upwork.com open in your browser or had Messages open in the desktop app?

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
37 of 46

Hi Valeria, 

I have to say I'm not sure. It is perfectly possible. However, I didn't even have the little red highlighted "one" (or whatever number of messages) but I had no indication that this client had replied until I happened to go to my message room.

In the event, it wasn't that serious, because I had to refuse the client anyway, but it is a little concerning, if one doesn't even get an indication of a client replying. It has never happened to me before.   

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
38 of 46

I understand, Nichola. Yes, the indicator in the Messages tab on the site works the same way as the email notifications - if a message is read, the indicator wouldn't show. 

If this happens again, could you please let me know and, if possible, note if Upwork.com is open anywhere on your computer?

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
39 of 46

Valeria, 

The first message was read of course, because I answered the invitation. The second message I didn't see because there was no indication. I have always had some kind of indication usually both - email and indicator - whether I have had the window open or not. 

I only saw the second message because I opened the message page to check on an old client.

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
40 of 46

I've also not been getting notification of messages during the last week or so. I receive emails for project invites and other matters, but I haven't been notified of several messages. Upwork has not been open on my computer when the messages have come through so this is not the issue. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS