cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more feedback stars?

Highlighted
Evgeny M Member Since: Jan 5, 2007
1 of 10

I had small fixed price job recently. Client refused to pay for the completed phase and I closed the contract. I remember that previously when closing contract I was able to leave feedback (from 1 to 5 stars). But yesterday there were no stars, system asked me if I would recommend that buyer to other freelancers and there were radio buttons from 1 to 10.

Is it by design? No more stars now?

One more thing, client's overall rating didn't change after I chose 1. Is it OK? I thought for the fixed price amount agreed is taken into consideration when calculating rating, at least this is the way it was previously.

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 10

If no money changed hands, then you can't leave public feedback for the client and the client can't leave feedback for you.

The "would you recommend this client" feature is private feedback. I know oDesk has taken this private feedback into account when deciding to flag a freelancer's profile.

I'm not sure if they do anything with clients. They claim they are going to start looking at client profiles as well but I haven't read any posts from clients complaining that their accounts have been suspended (I've read a lot from freelancers). Maybe clients just don't complain.

I would report the client to support for non-payment. This will help ensure there's a record of the client's behaviour and hopefully will lead to action being taken against the client. If you don't report, then nothing will ever change (actually things might not change anyway, but I'd still report it).

3 of 10

Thank you for your answer.

What is the point of reporting client? He did everything according to the oDesk rules. I knew that client is allowed not to pay at all.

But previously the only thing a developer could do is to leave a feedback and previously it was counted even if nothing was payed, because for the client "amount agreed" was used and for the freelancer "money paid" was used for calculating feedback score.

I didn't know that oDesk changed this rule. Ok, I'm glad I didn't complete whole job as client insisted. Fixed price - never again.

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
4 of 10

A client can't just decide not to pay without consequences. Even though oDesk can't force him to pay, it will create a record so that if the client shows a pattern of not paying freelancers, he can be kicked off the site.

Also, support may contact the client and ask why he didn't pay you. Just because oDesk states that it's up to the client if he wants to pay or not, the client did enter into an agreement with you to pay you for your work. The client should have a good reason for deciding not to pay you.

I don't know if this will work for you but since the client has not paid, you still own whatever work you did for him or her. I'm not sure what you did for the client but if it's a program of some sort, it it still yours and the client can't use it (although it might be hard to stop him)

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
5 of 10

You got it right David, thanks for responding. Public Feedback can only be left after money has changed hands. 

Additionally, regarding the activities we're undertaking towards low-performing clients. We've already initiated an email campaign advising poor performers of the reviews (similar to the warning emails some freelancers have received as of late). Following that, if no improvements are made, we will be taking action on these client accounts including suspending/expiring of accounts where warranted. This is one of the programs we've kicked off so far and we'll be expanding this to improve quality across the board.

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
6 of 10

Thanks so much for that update on what the site is doing to bad clients Garnor. Highly appreciated Smiley Happy

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
7 of 10

Let's put Garnor ahead of the pack for Kudos on in Community! I was going to stop visiting oDesk all together because all of my work is off-oDesk lately (Work obtained without any affiliation to oDesk). Maybe things on oDesk will turn around for the best; like it was back in the "golden years" on oDesk. Why do did I like oDesk? Because they do did the bulk of my record keeping!

Edited 01/08/2015 RT/lwm

Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
8 of 10

Hi I do not want to advice on this as these complaints are getting really popular on this community. I am in a mood to revolt today. Evgeny I see that you are a web developer. I suggest you an idea for a website. A place where odesk freelancers who are not paid by their clients can join and upload the unpaid work(that is contactually their property) and provide it as open source. This way they may even end up finding new clients that will think twice before not paying.

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
9 of 10

Kudos EM! Seeing "Member Since: 01-05-2007" I had to see the profile...over 36,000 TOTAL HOURS WORKED with a 5.00 rating!!!! That is by far the best I have ever seen since I joined oDesk.

10 of 10

Thank you, Ronald.

I feel like I am an alive dinosaur )

Actually I joined oDesk in 2004, previously I was in another affiliate and I when in 2007 I decided to leave it, oDesk allowed me to do that only if I abandon my old account. So I lost several thousands hours, these were the policies those days.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS