🐈 Community
muhmasood

No more work on UPWORK/ODESK

There are no more jobs on odesk/upwork.

The connect system just increased the fake and 

Unresponsive clients all around .
they invites for jobs but never replies . 

very very sad at all . 😞

"One thing I know, that I know nothing. This is the source of my wisdom"
79 REPLIES 79
reajkhan

I do entirely agree with Mr. M. 

No more invites no more responses to my applications for at least last one month. 

What a pity!

Riaz

Downwork was a nice and well fit name after odesk.

Same here!

motyduke

I agree 100% . before the new system i had a rate of 35 % of reply to my applications . Now it is zero ! And all the jobs offers are scam , many many more invite to interview for jobs i have no skils .

What happened ? Something changed we dont know ? Because i cannot understand that the system of connects can alter all the system so heavily ???

It's not much better on the hiring side. Lots of applicants who do not qualify for the job I posted. It's being posted for the second time because the freelancer I did hire flaked out on me. 

What is the main purpose for showing the Job posted (1 min ago ) .... before the new system we normally can see the job posted only after 5 to 6 min later .After the job fully managed.

So its just cheating and upwork wants that the freelancers waste their connects on the jobs where the clients will invite people in next few mins and the freelancers cant see the invited people in the time from (1 min till 5 min).

So the system wants to earn more and more now.

i dont really understand what you mean !

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I think he is stating that jobs are shown in the job feed before all the applicants who have been invited are posted.

I know I've see a job on my job feed and started to apply only to find out when I hit the apply button that I've been invited to the job.

I guess there's a time delay between the job posting and the listing of the applicants who have been invited.

David G wrote:

I think he is stating that jobs are shown in the job feed before all the applicants who have been invited are posted.

I know I've see a job on my job feed and started to apply only to find out when I hit the apply button that I've been invited to the job.

I guess there's a time delay between the job posting and the listing of the applicants who have been invited.

yes ..

I wants to know what is the main purpose of this delay in the job postings????

Yes, I have noticed that when I post jobs upwork shows me their "Recommended Freelancers" and hide almost all the others. However, the recommended ones are not qualified at all and do not meet my requested criteria, while the hidden ones do. I'm startung to think that the recommended freelancers are just recommended because they purchased the premium plan and are being catered to, because its completely insensable. Even the cover letters of these recommended freelancers are horrible, 1-2 sentences. I think this method of "hiding" freelancers is what is making qualified freelancers not obtain jobs. 

palitorc

Same here, last month was a waste of time and connects. I'm only working with clients I already have. "My stats" are going down and down, what really happened? Should I upgrade to paid membership to get a job?

its not guaranteed that if you upgrade your plan then you will get a new job. Upgrading the plan just increase ur Connects only 10 connects . Mean you can only apply to 5 more jobs.

Its the end of second month now and they have not such jobs where i can see that ( 1-5 connects needs to apply )
and still just 2 connects for each job . Its totally failed system.

Even paid membership will not help. Trust me, I tried!

No clients, no work, no money!

"Odesk"- UpWork please fix your CMS because you'll become like Interten Explorer (unused)!

I am having similar issues and I have the paid for plan! When I transfered from elance, I was doing excellent. Then for some reason in the past 2 weeks I am getting no responses to the bids I put in and the ones who do answer never do get back to me and also don't seem to pick anyone. My job success rate is 99% with all good reviews. I have had several people ask for free work samples too. Obviously it isn't me since I was doing very well and suddenly - nothing. Not getting any responses happened to me right after I had a bug with my profile. My profile showed and not complete when it was, and I lost my top rated badge. It was since restored but right after I get no client replies. 

The very low budget jobs are increasingly getting worse all the time. 

Got exactly the same issues, but the first thing I did I changed several things on my profile. I suggest you to do the same. I just saw your profile and it doesn't say much about how good, distinctive and unique you are. 

For example, the first thing you mention is that your work is 100% original. The fact that you're law-abiding doesn't make up a competitive advantage. Same goes for that "English-speaking" part which comes next. Unless you engage in writing, language skills aren't essential. Of course it means you ill be easier to communicate with, but majority of your competitors on marketplace possess at least conversational English skills. Show that you're different.

The rest of your profile is your experience. That's the wrong way! Maybe it sounds odd, but just recently I've learned the same thing. The fact that you did great things in the past doesn't look like a guarantee to most clients. Clients only wish freelancers to demonstrate what they can do for them. Instead of thoriugh descriptions of your working experience, give clients an outlook on your approach to work, I just renewed my profile but haven't bid since. 

Over everything else I sstrongly agree, it seems that there's currently some kind of demand ebb. It's not just because me (and you) get no response, there are other clear signs of low demand as well. First is an increased number of proposals per posting, and the second one is increase in the stake of freelancers without Upwork work track - saying that there's more and more people to whom the "first chance" isn't being distributed. 

This may be due to many things: economic cycle, period of year, holidays, changes in technology and outsourcing trends, though it may have been that Upwork repelled at least a part of new clients with outages which were quite frequent until March. Upwork is now mainly stable, but once trust is crushed it usually requires time to rebuild.

rolbeerat

i completely agree to this, i posted yesterday titled "Sad Truth! Upwork New System affected a lot us"

for the year 2015, month January-March i earned like  600-800 dollars per month.

as they implemented connect system, i started having problem getting hired, and only earned $100 for each month April and May 😞

John  there are thousands of people like me and u. who are effected by this system and we all needs to be united and to do peacefull strike in here , in this community .

Difficult to strike over an absence of work! How will they know you're striking?

ago_g

At least freelancers are not the only ones losing because of these things. Doesn't this all amount to less money gained by Upwork? Honestly, if the freelancers are making less, as seen in so many posts, that 10% fee they gain takes a drop too. And with the very decorative job posts (that's about all they are lately), the losses continue.

I wonder how long it takes to realize that when the freelancers lose, so does upwork?

That's what we freelancers saying from the start if we didnt earn odesk will not earn as well.They should have to make some calculations what they earn before the system changed and what they are earning now.hope they will come to know the reason why?

dahmaniidir

I agree with Mr.M : since we have to use Connects System, I noticed that there are not a lot of job on Upwork. Anyway, most of time, the clients never reply. I have been working with Odesk/Upwork for more than 3 years, Since few weeks, I  noticed that most of time,  jobs offered come from new clients.    

There are several threads here about lack of / less available jobs on Upwork, so I decided to add some statistics to the discussions.

Generally speaking, since I have been here total open jobs have fluctuated between 77,000 and 81,000 within and among months. Currently it is at 71,400. This 71,400 represents open jobs and is significantly less than total jobs posted each month. Rough estimate puts total jobs posted per month at 107,100 give or take a few thousand. Graphs below show that at 100% job conversion (all posts hire 1 person) each freelancer has a 1 in 2 shot of getting a job, all things being equal. @ 30% conversion, a 1 in 6.4 chance. This assumes proportional number of job posts per number of freelancers per category - which is a reasonable assumption. Therefore even at 30% + lower number of job posts, if all freelancers were equal you should land a job for ever 6 applications. Now freelancers that are above average have their probabilities increased drastically. Also I have not factored that many posts hire multiple applicants. Search broke after 500 pages (literally), so April & May have to be combined.

Where does the fault lie? Does the stats lie? Interested in responses.

Open image in new tab to see details properly.

Picture1.jpg

---- easy like Sunday morning ----

I would like to see Upwork respond to this data! Please its important to us.....

yes me too....i really would like that some people of upwork answer to these problems 

And why all jobs are 2 connects ??? it seemed that it coulbe from 1 to 5 ....more flexible way

- and why the rate of reply by is so low . i dont tal about the rate of success to get a job but only the rate of reply...

- and yes , if we have less and less job , we will not get paid plans and the revenues of upwork will become very low....if someone of upwork can explain me the way of their thinking 

- i have 3 customers since long time who had send new job opportunities since the new system : they said to me that they have ths same number of candidates but with a very low level of quality and couldnt hire someone !!!

@Ian David John E wrote:

I would like to see Upwork respond to this data! Please its important to us.....

I am sure they will just take a look on these hundreds of posts in this cummunity  , what freelancers are talking about new system.

Upwork !!! As you said these new features will increase the jobs for every freelancer but dear oh my dear...... i am sure its not increasing its decreasing more than normal.Come on upwork show us the statistics of last two months .... if you are shy of being turning to the old system , dont be shy we will protect you 😄

@Setu M wrote:

@Currently it is at 71,400. This 71,400 represents open jobs and is significantly less than total jobs posted each month. Rough estimate puts total jobs posted per month at 107,100 give or take a few thousand. Graphs below show that at 100% job conversion (all posts hire 1 person) each freelancer has a 1 in 2 shot of getting a job, all things being equal. @ 30% conversion, a 1 in 6.4 chance. This assumes proportional number of job posts per number of freelancers per category - which is a reasonable assumption. Therefore even at 30% + lower number of job posts, if all freelancers were equal you should land a job for ever 6 applications. Now freelancers that are above average have their probabilities increased drastically. Also I have not factored that many posts hire multiple applicants. Search broke after 500 pages (literally), so April & May have to be combined.

Where does the fault lie? Does the stats lie? Interested in responses.

Setu, I really appreciate your scientific approach, but I do not believe that the base stats are accurate which is why I would be careful trying to derive any conclusions from it. 

You also wrote: This assumes proportional number of job posts per number of freelancers per category - which is a reasonable assumption.

I do not believe this to be a reasonable assumption. When I look at the different categories, I see far fewer sales or finance related jobs than data entry or logo ones, just to name two examples.

The stats also ignore that not all jobs are of equal value. Having a realistic chance of winning every sixth $5 value job does not sound too promising to me.

The stats I would be interested in seeing is number of filled jobs by category by contract value for the last 24 months. I believe it would look like this:

chart

Hi Krisztina, it is always good to hear your retort. 

Krisztina U wrote:

When I look at the different categories, I see far fewer sales or finance related jobs than data entry or logo ones, just to name two examples.

My statement was  "proportional number of job posts per number of freelancers per category" Data entry for example has an overwhelmingly larger number of freelancers than any other category.

The stats also ignore that not all jobs are of equal value. Having a realistic chance of winning every sixth $5 value job does not sound too promising to me.

That is true, except that there are 1000x more $5 jobs available, so it would not be 1 per month. But I concede the point, I was actually responding to the many post of no available jobs - people going 8+ weeks without landing a contract.

The stats I would be interested in seeing is number of filled jobs by category by contract value for the last 24 months.

I too would be happy if I could get that data. In the mean time I have started collecting said data but you'll have to settle for 24hrs or maybe 48hrs, unless I'm being paid by Upwork 🙂

I know there are problems, but I don't think it is the number of jobs posted or number of conversions (for now).

@Setu M wrote:

Hi Krisztina, it is always good to hear your retort. 

@Krisztina U wrote:

When I look at the different categories, I see far fewer sales or finance related jobs than data entry or logo ones, just to name two examples.

My statement was  "proportional number of job posts per number of freelancers per category" Data entry for example has an overwhelmingly larger number of freelancers than any other category.

That is true, except that there are 1000x more $5 jobs available, so it would not be 1 per month. But I concede the point, I was actually responding to the many post of no available jobs - people going 8+ weeks without landing a contract.

The stats I would be interested in seeing is number of filled jobs by category by contract value for the last 24 months.

I too would be happy if I could get that data. In the mean time I have started collecting said data but you'll have to settle for 24hrs or maybe 48hrs, unless I'm being paid by Upwork 🙂

I know there are problems, but I don't think it is the number of jobs posted or number of conversions (for now).

Hi Setu -- I over read the "proportionally" part, but I still don't believe it's true. While I do agree that there are significantly more data entry folks than say folks who can build complex financial models, it's also a bit of a chicken and egg problem. I've researched my niche quite extensively a while back, and was surprised by just how many seemingly high skilled profiles there were, of course most of them are inactive. Why? I suspect because the jobs just aren't there. 

I've also noticed how much harder it became to fill a job over the last year or so. While hiring was never exactly easy on oDesk, and one had to sift through a lot of spam, there were at least some qualified freelancers on each job I posted. Now? Not so much. I have had to close or repost several jobs or straight up fill them elsewhere, so from my perspective, the connects did not help. They did not drastically reduce the number of applicants for me, nor did they increase the quality of applications. It's quite the opposite, I have noticed a massive spike in fraudsters. Of course, I am just a small time (tiny) client who's view doesn't really matter, but I do think that much bigger clients find it similarly challenging to search for freelancers or rely on oDesk's recommendations that are sometimes a hit but often a miss. This, combined with the many many bugs and poor CS, does eventually lead to fewer jobs posted. I notice it in my group as well. We're not outsourcing nearly as much work as we could because it's too time consuming. I would be really interested in seeing the data. You'd think that a company like oDesk would pride itself with and use it as a marketing tool, but they don't. Hmm?

I agree with you Mr M!

I too feel the same and I am getting very few interview invitations compared to pre Upwork ( that means Odesk ) . Odesk was very better, upwork has made me sit and apply for many job postings without getting any replies from the prospective clients. I wonder if my application is filtered even before it reaches the person who posted the job!!!

I am worried.

Is anyone hearing???!

Bobish

muhmasood

Bobish !!! For one moment i think they are seeing and will bring some good changes . But then i think if they are seeing and watching this community then till now they needs to change and move back to the old system for the benefit of freelancers but no no never never at all .

Upwork you are failed in the new system just accept this.

I had created a ticket for this and just now mentioned this discussion in that ticket. As follows

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hope this may have some impact atleast.

arens

Me too have a big problem with unresponsive clients.

lyambarreau

I can't really comment because I've only used 4 Connects this month. The 4 Connects I did use both landed me interviews (probably because I was the only applicant). I've been invited for quite a few jobs and the clients seeking skills relevant to my own all responded. 

My experience seems to have been on the opposite side of the coin. 

I decided to refine the graph to illustrate my point more clearly. There is never a 1:1 opportunity in any job market in the world. As is right now, even if only 3/10 jobs posted actually hire one freelancer (a conservative estimate), there is a 1:4.5 chance that you should land at least 1 job each month. This is based on 145,736 freelancers being active in the last month.

I have no doubt that the odds are actually higher, and should even be better for top rated freelancers and experienced freelancers in their respective fields. The statistics cannot lie, therefore start by making sure you land one of those 4.5 jobs available to you each month, and then adjust accordingly from there. You CAN do it.

Picture2.jpg

I'm not going to get worked up about it. I knew it was going to be an uphill struggle having to work my way up from lowly beginnings to my former status of feeling quite uppity about my pulling power. I'll just have to up my pitch quality, get set up properly for work, not get upset about the low response ratio and...uhm...up the ante (!) where possible -- and work will follow. Smiley Wink

What an uplifting post Alexandra 🙂

Thanks, Julie!

Except that upping the ante in the sense of raising my fee expectations maybe won't lead to more contracts. (I fear rather the opposite. But we'll see. Nomen est omen, and expensive must be better, right?)

re: "Except that upping the ante in the sense of raising my fee expectations maybe won't lead to more contracts. I fear rather the opposite. But we'll see."

Alexandra,

What I am about to point out really depends on the particular job category and it depends on who you are as a contractor and what your profile is like.

For some people, raising your hourly rate may lead to more contracts.

I receive many invitations that are spot-on appropriate for the type of work I do. BEFORE I more than doubled my posted hourly rate I RARELY received invitations. Now that my hourly rate is much higher, I receive far more invitations.

I believe some clients are doing searches base on rate and are filtering to look for only the most expensive contractors in this job category, and that's how they're finding me.

Upcoming Events
Oct 27
Nov 29