🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: No one replied to my 42 proposals, there ...
Page options
shereefaboasy
Community Member

No one replied to my 42 proposals, there is no one message within 60 days

I am a new freelance medical writer here on upwork, but I have been working as a freelance medical writer for more than 3,5 years on Fiverr..

I got only one job here, after that no one invites me, even replied to my 42 proposals.

It can be strange, disappointing thing since it had been 60 days with no one order or even one message.I explained my experience on my profile page.I put a professional photo, I uploaded many works. I used a specialized profile also, I keep sending proposals  and my gig field is required.

The results are no orders.

I wanna know how can I resolve that!!!

Is that normal about the freelance field-generally?

I swear that my proposals are perfect.

I gave up this job honestly..

69 REPLIES 69
martina_plaschka
Community Member

You claim your English is native level, but that is clearly not the case. Your overview is convoluted and rambling, nothing that tells me you will write an engaging, captivating article. 

You have huge competition from native English speakers. Clean up your profile, it is boring and not engaging. I expect a writer's overview to dazzle me with their words. You are falling short.

Even your forum posts should be a testament to your flawless English and perfect writing skills. 

I wanna know how can I resolve that!!! Really? Come on, you can do better. 

PradeepH

Hi Shereef,

Thanks for reaching out! I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Visit our Resource Center and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

Can you re_check my profile and tell me which part exactly is not good!😅

Just for your information, On fiverr, I got 24 excellent feedbacks! So?

Shereef A wrote:

Can you re_check my profile and tell me which part exactly is not good!😅

Just for your information, On fiverr, I got 24 excellent feedbacks! So?

If you have had success on another platform, why not focus your attention there? I am going to assume that it is because using Upwork would offer some kind of benefit in terms of clients or fees. But, you must understand that if Upwork offers more opportunity to freelancers in comparison to other platforms, it will also attract more competitive freelancers. 
A freelancer's ability to land gigs is not dependent solely on their skills but on their skills relative to the other freelancers who are competing for the same gigs. 

2a05aa63
Community Member

The grammar.

If you check the portfolio  with the use of ( Grammarly) you won't find any mistakes 😊😊

Shereef A wrote:

If you check the portfolio  with the use of ( Grammarly) you won't find any mistakes 😊😊

I did. Even in this post there are two. Think of me as your client. I point out mistakes to you, you deny them. That is not a winning strategy. 

Okay 

My profile views are only one 

Only one person viewed my profile 😅

Shereef A wrote:

Okay 

Obviously not, because we all managed to read it. Those statistics aren't reliable. 

Shereef A wrote:

Okay 

FYI, the My Stats page only shows how often clients viewed your profile after finding your profile through freelancer search, so it doesn't prove only 1 person has ever viewed your profile.
Just so you know I looked at it, the last sentence of your overview should be rewritten so it looks something like this (I've capitalized the differences):
Don't hesitate to ask me to write FOR you, just contact me and LEAVE the hard work TO me

Grammarly might not find anything wrong with the original, but it's incorrect in terms of the meaning of the sentence.

Shereef A wrote:

Okay 

Views only count when they come from a search. Everybody here didn't search your profile, just clicked on it from your post.

Okay 

You know, many people work on Upwork as a medical writer whose language is not perfect and I may surpass them. They gained thousands of dollars here.

I think it is just bad luck.

If my language wasn't good, many clients on Fiverr would not hire me to write for them and they wouldn't appreciate my work specifically they are Americans and British people 🙂

Am I right!

I appreciate your talk and your opinion, but I just put my thoughts in written words...

Shereef A wrote:

Okay 

You know, many people work on Upwork as a medical writer whose language is not perfect and I may surpass them. They gained thousands of dollars here.

I think it is just bad luck.

If my language wasn't good, many clients on Fiverr would not hire me to write for them and they wouldn't appreciate my work specifically they are Americans and British people 🙂

Am I right!

I appreciate your talk and your opinion, but I just put my thoughts in written words...

You came here and asked why no one was hiring you. Your profile says you are native/bilingual in English. You are not. You think you are, but native English speakers and writers are explaining to you that you are overestimating your skills. This is very likely the reason you are not getting hired. I am also a client, and I can tell you that your English writing competency is not good. It may have passed for you just fine on Fiverr, but this is not Fiverr. It is unlikely you are going to find work here writing in English. 

If you think it's just bad luck then why come here and ask? 

As to others who have earned money as medical writers, considering that you cannot properly assess your own skills, why do you think you are an appropriate judge of someone's? There is a big difference between English not being perfect and being broken. Yours is conversational at best. You think it is equal to native. 

I suggest you rethink what services you are offering because I do not think you will get hired as a medical writer in English. 

Just for your information, I delivered three medical articles in English to a client here on upwork , he appreciated that and got his satisfaction.😊

Just wish me good luck .

Are you talking about the $50 job? Yes, certainly you can find work if you compete by offering the very lowest prices. 

Again, you've recently sent 42 proposals and aren't finding work. You asked why. Yes, anyone can find a client who's willing to pay cheap for work of questionable quality. 

Do you want to keep arguing or do you want to land more work? If you are already so great, then why are you even here asking us why you aren't getting work? 

Shereef A wrote:

Just for your information, I delivered three medical articles in English to a client here on upwork , he appreciated that and got his satisfaction.😊

The client's English isn't any better than yours, so they likely have no way of knowing and considering what they pay, they couldn't ask for much anyway.

Why there is no positive comment encouraging me!😅😅

Shereef A wrote:

Why there is no positive comment encouraging me!😅😅

Because you are on the wrong path.

Upwork is fiercely competitive, especially when it comes to the writing category. Your English simply isn't good enough for any native audience without extensive editing.

There actually *ARE* clients who will pay for non-native subject-matter experts to write about niche topics and then pay for a native editor to fix the English.

That would be the kind of clients you may want to attract if you have skills or expert-level knowledge that can't easily be found in the vast pool of native English-speaking freelancers on Upwork.

Otherwise, writing in your native language may be an option.

What really isn't an option is claiming skills you demonstrably don't have. It doesn't get you hired and even if it did, sooner or later it leads to trouble.

What were you looking for? Actual reasons as to why no one is hiring you or just well wishes? Because you framed as the former while clearly you are seeking the latter...

Shereef A wrote:

Just wish me good luck .

Okay - good luck.

This is from your profile:

"

I am a family medicine doctor who graduated from one of the most important universities in my country ;(Mansoura Faculty Of Medicine). According to my clinical practice I have been in hospitals for 6 years now. I had been a trainee in different subspecialties for more than 4 years. I have been working as a freelance medical writer for more than 3,5 years. I wrote many articles before to different medical companies including ( hair care products companies, and skin care products companies) , and different clients on Fiverr with following seo manner. I had been a partner with some medical companies for a while as a medical writer. My medical articles got great appreciation from the medical experts in Manchester Program.

"

Okay, so forgetting that this is all about you and not at all about the problem you solve for the client, the red text is all problematic due to awkward phrasing and incorrect idioms. Is it exactly grammatically inaccurate? No, and Grammarly won't pick up on that. But it doesn't make it an A grade in English class either. 

Here's an example re-write:

Prior to my career as a freelance medical writer, I was a family medicine doctor, and I graduated from Mansoura Faculty Of Medicine, one of the most prestigious medical schools in my area. I practiced medicine for more than 6 years, and additionally trained in 4 different subspecialities. For the last 3.5 years, I have focused on medical writing with SEO. I have written on topics ranging from hair care products to skin care. 

It's still not great profile text because it's just all about you, but can you see the difference at all? If you can't, then you really shouldn't be offering writing services. Perhaps you can work as a medical reviewer to fact check instead. 

There's grammar used for typing, like use only one space not "  ". Use only one dot not '..'. Always use a space after a dot. 

One space rather than two spaces after a period is not a question of grammar, but style. It is not grammatically incorrect. The APA style guide held out for the double space until about 2018 or 2019. 

I haven't looked at the OP's profile, but I suspect the two periods is probably a typo, and the same would go for  a double space between words, or no space between periods. 

Shereef A wrote:

Try to think about this logically. If it were possible for everyone to use Grammarly and have their writing turn out perfectly, why would anyone ever need to hire a writer or an editor, or a translator or a proofreader? They wouldn't need to; they would just use Grammarly themselves. Grammarly (and other apps like it) is merely a tool and won't help you to write in perfect English - not even close!

Besides, if you are relying on Grammarly you will not have the nuances of a native speaker. If you wish to present yourself as such you should not rely on Grammarly. Grammarly can help pick out an error or two (when I am typing too fast for example) but it will not magically transform your work into native language quality. 

Okay

I don't depend on (Grammarly)

How can you judge that my language isn't native?

I doubt that you saw my previous works.

Just some pieces of sentences of my portfolio which I see it is perfect !

I am pretty confident that I can speak and write in English natively.

Shereef A wrote:

Okay

I don't depend on (Grammarly)

But you clearly have been. You've been telling us it's correct because Grammarly says so, despite it being incorrect.

Shereef A wrote:

By reading what you wrote.

Shereef A wrote:

Okay

Just some pieces of sentences of my portfolio which I see it is perfect !

It is not perfect. It is far from perfect, it is actually quite bad.

Shereef A wrote:

You can't.

You've had numerous native speakers explain that your writing is not good enough. I'm a native speaker AND a writer. I also hire writers ocassionaly and I would not get past your profile before archiving your proposal.

I see you've made some changes since yesterday. It's still poor. What on earth is 'intangibles' supposed to mean in this context? I think I can see what you're trying to say but it doesn't work. It's as though you've trusted a direct translation without understanding the syntax or context. It makes no sense and if you think it does make sense then you're not qualified to call yourself a native.

It looks like something that's been run through Google translate.

Do yourself a favour and listen to peope who know what they're talking about. Focus on something you are good at. Maybe try looking at medical research jobs instead of medical writing jobs? You might be great at that.

The fact that you write:

"I doubt that you saw my previous works."

Instead of "I doubt you saw my previous WORK"

And "Just some pieces of sentences of my portfolio which I see it is perfect"

"Just some snippets (or bits) of sentences from my portfolio " and let's not even finish the rest of the sentence...

Mate, you are nowhere near native proficiency **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Also, this isn't Facebook. There is no timeline. You asked people for their opinion, you just don't like what people's opinion is. 

Shereef A wrote:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Someone who doesn't have great English skills doesn't know their English is poor, because they'd have to know great English to understand the difference.

Shereef A wrote:

It's very, very obvious. Even "fluent" would be pushing it.

You know what!

I will get back soon telling you that I wrote many articles in English to many native speakers on Upwork and I will show you their feedbacks just to know that I can write perfectly.

Just a note; There is a big difference between my writing here within a conversation and my writings that are related to the work  

I don't care about the grammar mistakes here within the conversation or even the talk if it seems written natively or nope

THE MEDICAL RESEARCHES ARE DIFFERENT 

MY MEDICAL ARTICLES ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

I believe it is just bad luck 

I believe that God makes a test to see my patience no more I think.

May I have currently only ONE CONNECT!

Can you tell me why 24 people who speak NATIVELY ( FROM AMERICA AND ENGLAND) dealt with me and appreciated my work?

Just think why?

As it deserves that they pay money for it to get it

ALL THE RESPECT TALK I APPRECIATE IT, the time you consumed to reply to me, I appreciate it.

But may other people talk offensively. I cannot appear that honestly 

This has nothing to do with conversation or writing - your grasp of the English language just isn't fluent. There is nothing wrong with that. I am sure there are people interested in the services you provide. However, at the rate you are going you will not find anyone.

The best bet would be to take a moment, re-evaluate your profile and come back refreshed.

So you are making mistakes on purpose in your posts here? Why?

Shereef A wrote:

Can you tell me why 24 people who speak NATIVELY ( FROM AMERICA AND ENGLAND) dealt with me and appreciated my work?

Just think why?

Who knows and who cares? I thought your post was about upwork not a different platform? Your experience here seems to be different, which was the reason for your post, right?

In any case, I'll take you up on your offer to prove yourself. Come back here when you have won and finished 5 more jobs, have received feedback, and let's talk then. BTW no fake jobs, getting your pals to hire you will get you suspended. 

if you think it is only bad luck then wait for luck to fall on you, why are you coming to ask advice if you are sure you are right

Shereef, I think you did not expect the type of response that you initially received on your post, and you have become a little defensive. It's fine, I can understand that.

I think you might have misunderstood what 'native' level English is. I am sure English is not your first language. (Your mother toungue is not English, right?)

Your English is not bad, and you can express what you want with good words. But someone whose mother tongue is English, born in English-speaking countries like US, UK, Australia, etc. (who have native-level English) is at a completely different level. So, I think you should take what others are saying from their perspective. Yes, some people have a seemingly harsh or very straight-forward way of saying it. Hence you got offended.

For e.g. my mother tongue is Urdu. I grew up speaking that language and I can say I have native level Urdu.  Now in my country there are many different regional languages spoken., and not everyone is a native-urdu speaker. Some people are pure urdu-speaking. But since Urdu is the national language almost everyone speaks it to some level, as they learn it hearing it being spoken around them everywhere. Some non-native Urdu speakers get so good that they can have a full conversation and say what they want to.

However, someone like myself, can immediately tell if someone is not a native speaker, based on what words are being used, how they use it, small grammatical mistakes, and so forth. Another point is that, no matter how broken the Urdu is, a native speaker can sill understand whats being said. And, even if some non-native urdu-speaker speaks at 50% level, we say he has very good Urdu.

BUT, would we be okay with that person working in a position that requires native-level of the language? I think not.

Similarly, I feel this is what the native English speakers are trying convey here.

(I understand that your previous work with some native English people went well. And, you might even get work on Upwork too. But, it is definitely more competitive here)

I think you did not expect this, and thought you would get some other advice. But you opened yourself up to people critisizing when you posted here. Some experienced people here are more polite. Some sound rude, and impolite, but still want to help.

My sincere advice, just ignore the things that you think are disrespectful and rude. As some have suggested, there are grammatical mistakes in your profile. See if you can get some help there and try to fix those small mistakes. And keep trying. Best of luck!

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Your overview is better, but still not proper English.

My job here is to make your exploitation high-quality content that will satisfy you and exceed your expectations. My supreme primacy is your satisfaction.

I don't think you know the meaning of exploitation and primacy. The two examples in your portfolio have too many mistakes and are not well written. I would take them out. Maybe offer writing in your native language, but stay away from English. If you have better success on a different platform, why not stay there?

exploitation means investment 

primacy means priority 

So where are (the many mistakes!!) if you check my (paragraphs) with the use of (Grammarly), you will not find any mistakes!

I appreciate your reply anyway.

Shereef A wrote:

exploitation means investment 

Not really, but... "My job here is to make your investment high-quality content" still doesn't make sense.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths