🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: No replies to my proposals since the end ...
Page options
igor_raev
Community Member

No replies to my proposals since the end of March. A bug?

Hello,

I think there is a bug with my Upwork account. Ether my proposals are not being sent or they are not counted by the statistics.

Anyway, I haven't won a single job since the end of March, although I am constantly sending my proposals to different clients, sometimes it is 3 proposals a day. But I only get jobs from the clients I already have or invites only.

I assume something is wrong with my account or with the system itself.

Please find enclosed the screenshots that made me think I might be right about the bugs. I am a plus member so I can see the bids for the jobs. There are 2 screenshots with a job I submitted a proposal to, but my bid was not counted in the bid range.

Is it only me having the problem?

What can I do to make it work again?

Thanks,
Igor

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Igor R wrote:

I understand the issue with low bids. But here is something -  I used to win 2 jobs out of 2 proposals I sent before the end of March (whish's is 100% rate)

Are you sure about that? I've been freelancing for 20 years and I don't think I've ever had higher than a 15-20% success rate at the best of times.

A lot more people have joined Upwork since the pandemic began, so you're going to have to improve in every way if you want to compete. You could start by working on your profile overview, which is very weak in my opinion. Take out "hello" and don't say that you're an "all-rounder" (find a niche in which you can be an expert), and definitely don't say that you've only got two years of experience. Then the rest of your overview is just a list of things that you know how to do (which thousands of other people also know how to do). Spend a few hours working on that, then go over your portfolio and only include your strongest work.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Your bid is only included in the range if the client does not archive (which you would never know) or outright decline you. 

By the way, bidding $ 12 when the range is $ 15 to $ 75 means you would get archived for lowballing a lot, The client that approach would attract are NOT the clients you'd want to work with...

Petra has offered some good advice about lowballing.

As a client I have hired many freelancers on Upwork to work remotely, and I have hired many people lcoally via CraigsList.

One thing I do to save time is delete the proposals from lowballers without looking at them. If I am hiring somebody to work on my Upwork project, or hiring somebody locally to work on my house, I am not going to waste my time with people who are clearly not going to provide me with the quality that I need.

Thank you, Preston.

So staying in the middle of a bid range should in theory provide me with the interviews (taking into consideration I have a neat portfolio and a good cover letter for the job), right?

Could you please have a look at my account and let me know if there is something that might look scaring off for my potential clients?

Thanks for your answer. I think there were less than 5 proposals when I applied for that particular job, so I am not sure there was even a bid range for the job at that time. 

I understand the issue with low bids. But here is something -  I used to win 2 jobs out of 2 proposals I sent before the end of March (whish's is 100% rate), or at least  I got a lot of interviews, but now it is none out of 60+ proposals I sent. So I am trying different approaches and different bids, high and low,  but still with zero results whatsoever.

Igor R wrote:

I understand the issue with low bids. But here is something -  I used to win 2 jobs out of 2 proposals I sent before the end of March (whish's is 100% rate)

Are you sure about that? I've been freelancing for 20 years and I don't think I've ever had higher than a 15-20% success rate at the best of times.

A lot more people have joined Upwork since the pandemic began, so you're going to have to improve in every way if you want to compete. You could start by working on your profile overview, which is very weak in my opinion. Take out "hello" and don't say that you're an "all-rounder" (find a niche in which you can be an expert), and definitely don't say that you've only got two years of experience. Then the rest of your overview is just a list of things that you know how to do (which thousands of other people also know how to do). Spend a few hours working on that, then go over your portfolio and only include your strongest work.

I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork.

When I hire freelancers, one of the things I look for is to see if they are an "all-arounder" or a "jack-of-all-trades," and those (along with low-ballers) are the first people I exclude from consideration.

Thank you, Christine, for helping me to look at it from a different perspective. I'll make the changes

antur
Community Member

I seem your advice is good. I come back after 5 years and i will continue for long time with Upwork. I dont get any project for complete. Please give me a good idea for my success in Upwork. Thanks

If you got two jobs out of two proposals that is insane hire rate (cosmic luck).
I send 100 proposals a month and get from 3 to 10 jobs. 10 new jobs is very rare for me. Go figure 😁

Your rough numbers show that you get an acceptance rate of 3%-10%.  Is this what the rest of the Upwork community is seeing?  I currently have 87 proposals and 24 active proposals.  I haven't run the exact numbers as I don't see how we have any analytics on Upwork, but thinking back I might be running around a 4%-5% acceptance or less.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths