miki989

No response from client

Hi, I'm new at upwork. About a week ago, i applied for a job and the client contacted me soon. She asked me to complete a task so she can see if a can do the job. I completed the job succesfully and she sent a proposal for me. After 2-3 hours i got notification saying the proposal was declined with a reason ("I am hiring another freelancer"). Then i contacted the client and said that i have already completed a part of the job. She asked me to continue my work, bacause she will tell the hired freelancer to do another job. I completed the job the next day and send the file to the cleint. She said the job is done great and asked me if i can complete another file within 12 hours. I said i can do it. I completed the other file within 9 hours and sent the file to her. But i didn't get any response from her. She practically dissapeared. So, what can i do about this? Do i have any options since  dont have a contract. I keep my massages with the client. Thanks in advance. Best regards

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r

@Mile I wrote:
So, what can i do about this?
Do i have any options since  dont have a contract.

You can report the client, but because you worked without a contract there is nothing much that can be done to get you paid. At best it can get the client warned or banned so other naive newbies don't give away their time and work for free.

NEVER EVER LIFT A FINGER WITHOUT A CONTRACT!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
petra_r

@Mile I wrote:
So, what can i do about this?
Do i have any options since  dont have a contract.

You can report the client, but because you worked without a contract there is nothing much that can be done to get you paid. At best it can get the client warned or banned so other naive newbies don't give away their time and work for free.

NEVER EVER LIFT A FINGER WITHOUT A CONTRACT!

Thank you for your response. I'll report this asap.

You also need to change your profile picture - it must be a photo of yourself, not a logo etc....

@Mile I wrote:

Thank you for your response. I'll report this asap.

tj1972

Hi Mile,

Did your client formally send a contract to you?  Based on what you wrote the answer in NO.

In other words - she/he got free work from you. I'm so sorry about.

From now on NEVER, EVER DO ANY JOB IF YOU DON'T HAVE CONTRACT!

There are lots of topics in here about this as well as Upwork has whole section in the Help.

Thanks

P.S. And report the client ASAP!

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mile,

Thanks for reporting the client. Please follow the advice other users shared regarding making sure you have an active contracts before doing any work.

Before submitting any new proposals, I strongly advise you to read the Help articles from the Getting Started as a Freelancer section, this list of safety tips and our Freelancer Guide. Please also check our educational videos and best practice advice shared by other users:

Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

Untitled
thinkerx

I experienced something vaguely similar weeks back.

I sent my proposal to a client who stated that they had multiple "trial" projects on ground and were interested in starting a mutually beneficial agreement with a number of freelancers. I received a reply minutes later asking me to create a homepage mock-up for the revamp of one of their client's website. After extracting content like texts and images from the website, I created a responsive version which I sent back to the client expecting a review. The client hasn't been online ever since!

It's unethical that some clients would take advantage of new freelancers' eagerness to get that first gig on upwork!

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Christianah,

I've found and shared the client's details with our team. Please check the resources I've shared above and make sure not to start working until you have an active contract on Upwork.

Untitled
g_holstein

These cases reported here - especially the OP´s case - really look like premeditated fraud to me. I think this should be punished somehow. I think these client´s accounts should get a newbie-warning-badge. Something in bright red reading: "Warning! Freelancers new to Upwork please proceed with caution and read the following help topics first". ....  

@Gerald H wrote:

These cases reported here - especially the OP´s case - really look like premeditated fraud to me. I think this should be punished somehow. I think these client´s accounts should get a newbie-warning-badge. Something in bright red reading: "Warning! Freelancers new to Upwork please proceed with caution and read the following help topics first". ....  

If Upwork COULD do that, it would be awesome. Because of the nature of these scammer accounts, it's not possible.

At this point, I think maybe forcing all newbies into the Forums would be a good idea, because at least then they COULD be forced to read certain materials. Not sure, though if this suggestion would solve ALL of the possible scams newbies are currently falling for.

I supspect that 70% of the newbie freelancers who fall into scams don't get reported in the forums. While a certain percentage of those freelancers probably get into the swing of things eventually, who knows how much money is lost along the way.

I still maintain that all new freelancers should have to pass a test on the terms of service, payment, etc. before they can bid on jobs.

@Mary W wrote:

I still maintain that all new freelancers should have to pass a test on the terms of service, payment, etc. before they can bid on jobs.

There is a test of some sort, which covers some ToS things. It obviously is not effective in cases like this. Which is why I am waiting, with BATED breath, for the new forum areas.

The current test is not mandatory.  I remember on ODesk there was a test and until you passed, your number of available bids was limited.