cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wonder search results for freelancers are dodgy

Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
1 of 17

I'm getting ready to inform my Elance clients of my Upwork URL.

I know clients will be shown existing Elance freelancers URL's at their end but I'd like to send them it too so they don't have to waste time finding it.

So... I 'Viewed my profile' and saw that it was the Upwork.com address followed by a long string of jumbled characters comprised numbers and letters including a question mark. I thought to myself - 'surely that's not the link to my profile - there isn't even a user name in it.'

Contacted support to ask them what my profile URL was...

Lo and behold - The string of characters IS my profile URL.

I'm speechless. I just can't believe rhere's no user name in the URL. Crazy.

The Elance URL is simply https://www.elance.com/s/chris_mac_artworker/

Edited: As with Elance -  my Guru.com and Freelancer.com profiles have my user name and if I google it they come up straight away in the search results. Not the case if I google my user name for Upwork.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 17

The string of characters has nothing to do with the effectiveness of their internal search.

Just give your customer the link. They click it and that's all they need.

Community Guru
3 of 17

@Jennifer M wrote:

The string of characters has nothing to do with the effectiveness of their internal search.

Just give your customer the link. They click it and that's all they need.

I know the jumbled characters are all they need but don't you think it's an absurd way to be represented? The absurdity is shown when I try a google search. (I've just edited my post to reflect that when compared to Guru.com and Freelancer.com google searches).

It just 'feels' like another un-intuitive Upwork process.

EDITED: All my other profile pages eg. LinkedIn and my Music profiles such as Bandcamp have my user name in the URL. The Upwork URL is so abstract and meaningless.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 17

Strangely this reminds me of the complete uproar on the forums a few years ago when it was hailed a total security breach when someone revealed that the user ID of any user could be found in the code of the page...

Why? Because when you have someone's user ID you "just" need their password and you can log into their account.

Plus there are some seriously weird usernames about, let me tell you that...

Community Guru
5 of 17

@Petra R wrote:

Strangely this reminds me of the complete uproar on the forums a few years ago when it was hailed a total security breach when someone revealed that the user ID of any user could be found in the code of the page...

Why? Because when you have someone's user ID you "just" need their password and you can log into their account.

Plus there are some seriously weird usernames about, let me tell you that...

Hi Petra,

I suppose that's true of all internet names isn't it? If you've got someones email address then all you need is the password to go into their account. Elance has a security word as well as the password. There's another 'issue' - Upwork should have a security word as well as the password.

Upwork keeps on impressing that it is as good as Elance and encourages Elancers to make the move but I see very little proof of it.

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
6 of 17

@Chris M wrote:

Hi Petra,

I suppose that's true of all internet names isn't it? If you've got someones email address then all you need is the password to go into their account. Elance has a security word as well as the password. There's another 'issue' - Upwork should have a security word as well as the password.

Upwork keeps on impressing that it is as good as Elance and encourages Elancers to make the move but I see very little proof of it.

Chris, Upwork DOES have a security word.  See this screenshot:

security-question.jpg

Community Guru
7 of 17

Hi Pandora,

Thanks for the info about the security question.

As far as I can recall I rarely get asked the security question though. Certainly doesn't come up when I log in - even if I reset my browser.

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
8 of 17

@Chris M wrote:

Hi Pandora,

Thanks for the info about the security question.

As far as I can recall I rarely get asked the security question though. Certainly doesn't come up when I log in - even if I reset my browser.

Your welcome. Sorry, I was concerned you did not know how to set it. I've been asked the question here and there over the years. Of course, I typically log in when my business day starts, and log out later in the evenings.

It's also dependent on what your trying to do. Sometimes when I want to move money away from Upwork I get asked it, but most of the time I'm not doing anything that would require me to be asked the question.

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
9 of 17

Not sure if this will create a new uproar then, but I've seen the usernames of most people here. And I didn't need anything else than a mobile phone.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
10 of 17

There are several ways one can see usernames on here, wihin just a few cicks of the profile. (although it seems to vary from day to day or week to week). it seems that as one security leak is closed another one opens.

Why uproar?? I'd suggest more weary resignation at this stage...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS