🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » No work on contract and JSS
Page options
prachi163
Community Member

No work on contract and JSS

Hi,

So, I was hired on a job in September. It was an hourly contract. But the client has had less work for a while now and I was never assigned any work. And now, due to the holiday season, I cannot expect any work till January.

This has started affecting my JSS and it has come down from 98 to 94. 

The client is busy, but his assistant told me that they can only assign me the work in Jan.

Since I have not been able to speak to the client directly, I don't know how to propose an alternative solution such as a $1 bonus payment so that at least the contract stops negatively impacting my JSS.

Any advice is appreciated.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

94% is still a great JSS and we are coming up to Christmas and then it's January already so it's not the end of the world and arguably the best time to have one's JSS at a slightly lower percentage. It's temporary.

I would hazard a guess the client would not mind the 10 minutes, he had you on retainer for 3 months now... I am sure you have spent ten minutes communicating with them since then?

If you don't want to inform (NOT "ask") that you will be billing 10 minutes of time for time spent so far, then you'll just have to wait until the work starts.

Or, if you are top rated, you could use your perk, but that would be silly when the situation will resolve itself anyway in the near future.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Prachi T wrote:

So, I was hired on a job in September. It was an hourly contract. But the client has had less work for a while now and I was never assigned any work. And now, due to the holiday season, I cannot expect any work till January.

This has started affecting my JSS and it has come down from 98 to 94. 

Have you never earned anything under that contract? You should never ever accept a contract until you can complete the first milestone or log at least 10 minutes of time.

It can be fixed permanently by logging 10 minutes of time, as long as that comes to more than $1

Thank You, Petra.

Yes, it was a mistake.

I can log 10 minutes and it'll be more than $1. But I would prefer to let the client know what I am doing and why. And the client is inaccessible at the moment. I can only go through the assistant. I am not sure they understand how important this is for me.

94% is still a great JSS and we are coming up to Christmas and then it's January already so it's not the end of the world and arguably the best time to have one's JSS at a slightly lower percentage. It's temporary.

I would hazard a guess the client would not mind the 10 minutes, he had you on retainer for 3 months now... I am sure you have spent ten minutes communicating with them since then?

If you don't want to inform (NOT "ask") that you will be billing 10 minutes of time for time spent so far, then you'll just have to wait until the work starts.

Or, if you are top rated, you could use your perk, but that would be silly when the situation will resolve itself anyway in the near future.

Thank you, Petra.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members