๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป ๐Ÿค” Non-Upwork Client Testimonials
Page options
hidemi-takagi
Community Member

๐Ÿค” Non-Upwork Client Testimonials

This topic is meant to be sent to other freelancers but if anyone from Upwork has an opinion - I would love to hear it.

I received a top-rated freelancer status about 3 years ago and managed to keep it for the past few years since and today I received Upwork "Strengthen your profile with non-Upwork client testimonials" mail which I assume quite a lot of freelancers gets now as the feature rolls out and you can see this option in your profile.

I have mixed feelings about it and wanted to hear what other freelancers think about this feature.

On the good side, I totally agree that it is a cool feature to have on your profile as I work very hard to help my clients get Google feedbacks to their businesses and I know the value of such feedbacks but the difference here is that I have to "ask" one of my clients to create a feedback via email invitation (which of course, I can soften the issue with a chat with the client prior to that mail to let them know about it) but I do feel a bit strange to "ask" clients to do such a thing from one important issue which is my client privacy since I have no ideas what do Upwork will request from my client to "verify" -- since the mail states "The testimonial will display on your profile once itโ€™s verified by Upwork."

Besides the fact that it might be a bit troublesome to a client to write a feedback -- but that might not be too hard to do, I am worried that Upwork process of "verification" of that feedback might invade my client privacy or maybe they will be requested to "prove" something which will also might invade their personal or business privacy.

Does anyone know in detail what kind of information Upwork will require from a non-upwork client for the verification process and what kind of "hoops" the client has to go through in terms of back and forth communication with Upwork verification team?  

I deal with my clients always with care about their feelings and pay a lot of attention to make sure their privacy is well kept, and I never before asked a client for  "assistance" to help me in my career - therefore, before I do any move such as request them to enroll in some verification process, I want to make sure it will not be "painful" or even bothersome in any way and most of all, will not invade their privacy (personal or business).  

Any thoughts about this or did anyone went through the process and know what did their client has to go through to get that testimonial process complete?

lastly - I am wondering if anyone knows if this is now a "mandatory" requirement to keep a top-rated status or it is just an extra feature and a top-rated status is relying solely on Upwork clients feedbacks?

335 REPLIES 335

Hi Klareen,

Thank you for patiently waiting. Due to the status of the Upwork account associated with this email address, the request cannot be resent at this time.

~Andrea
Upwork
uzochukwu_lee
Community Member

The client I requested a testimonial from said he never got a message from Upwork.

Should I send another request while this is still pending?

Hi Uzochukwu,

Could you please request your client to check their spam/junk folder? 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I did,, and he said he'd checked. I made sure to ask before posting here

Hello Joanne Marie,

Could you provide me with assistance? I already asked him to check before posting here.

Hi Uzochukwu,

We're looking into this and will update you as soon as we have more information.

Thank you for your patience,

~Andrea
Upwork

Thank you๐Ÿ™

Thank you Andrea.

Hi Uzochukwu,

It looks like you have more than one pending request at the moment. Could you please confirm which one you're referring to so we could check on this further? Feel free to send me a PM with the client's details.

~Andrea
Upwork

He just confirmed he got it some minutes ago. I requested a testimonial
from another past clent today. Thanks for the assist.
kanak04
Community Member

Dear Upwork Support Team,

My past client has written a testimonial for my work, but it is not displaying in my profile. The client already confirmed that he has sent it. Please let me know why my client's testimonial which is from outside Upwork network not displaying in my profile.

Regards,

Kanak

Hi Kanak,

I checked and it looks like the testimonial is currently pending. You can check the status here. Please allow our team to review and update you with the status. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
3ae36845
Community Member

can I request a testimonial from someone who doesn't have linkedIn ?

petra_r
Community Member

Pablo M wrote:

can I request a testimonial from someone who doesn't have linkedIn ?

No

shawnaaronyoung
Community Member

I worked on a clients story outside of UpWork and I was excited to see I could request testimonials from people outside the website. I filled in the information and double-checked it but he hasn't receieved teh request. I saw that others have had this issue but no solution was mentioned. 

Hi Shawn,

I'm sorry about that. Could you please have your client check their spam or junk folder? 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths