cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-resident alien living in the US, can I still do freelance work?

Zeinab A Member Since: Feb 27, 2015
1 of 5

I'm currently a non-resident alien with a F-1 visa living and working in the US. I've heard people say I couldn't do freelance work in the US because I'm not a citizen and taxes and etc. Is there any rules about this on oDesk? 

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
2 of 5

It is not up to oDesk. It is up to the conditions of your visa. You don't have to be a US citizen to work in the US; you have to have a visa that legally allows you to work.  If you are legally working in the US already, then you should already be paying US taxes.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 5

I agree with Marcia.

ODesk does not determine if and how you pay taxes.

ODesk does not determine if you are allowed to work in general. ODesk only decides if you are allowed to work on oDesk.

I strongly believe that oDesk should not be asked to act as any kind of government regulator.

Joyce K Member Since: Aug 12, 2015
4 of 5

Hi,

I have a similar question, my U.S F1 visa expired (OPT) couple weeks ago and now I'm in my grace period staying in the US, I'm planing to go back to my country in a month to get a new J1 visa and come back to the US.

I'm wondering can I get a job here as a freelancer at the moment till I get back to the US? If I use paypal and bank account outside the country, would that be ok? 

Thanks!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 5

Hi Joyce,

You need to make sure that your visa type gives you permission to work. F1 and J1 are student visas and may not allow it. I would recommend talking to a legal advisor about it.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS