🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Non responsive Job Posts
Page options
andyfree3
Community Member

Non responsive Job Posts

I am surprised how many clients post jobs and make no decisions and the job apprarently remains unfilled for days and weeks.  I have sent proposals to numberous job postings and they sit idle with no action.  What can be done about that?  

9 REPLIES 9
nixonenun
Community Member

Hi Andrew, I've sent over 50+ proposals in data entry, email marketing and administrative outsourcing. I've gotten no response too.

Are you a new freelancer on the platform?

This is why Upwork provides the client’s hiring rate and open jobs as part of the full job description. So if the rate is low or there are a large number of open jobs, don’t waste a proposal.

NIXON E wrote:
Hi Andrew, I've sent over 50+ proposals in data entry, email marketing and administrative outsourcing. I've gotten no response too.

Are you a new freelancer on the platform?

Nixon, you're offering a marketing service, but you're not marketing yourself effectively at all. Why would a client hire you in a marketing capacity when you do nothing to sell yourself (in fact, it's not at all clear from your profile what services you are offering or skills you have)?

You've also said here that you're applying to data entry jobs, but your profile rate is $57/hour. Most data entry jobs on this platform pay well below minimum wage, so the client will assume either that you are too expensive or that you are just desperate for work and won't stick with them once you get better-paying work (and they'll presumably be right).

Rewrite your profile to show clients what you have to offer them, and then narrow your bidding to your area of expertise.

versailles
Community Member

Andrew A wrote:

I am surprised how many clients post jobs and make no decisions

Andrew, there are few possible reasons for this:

- it often happens that a client posts a job for let's say an hourly contract and then, after discussing the project with a freelancer they decide to go with a fixed rate contract. Or the other way around. In this case some clients create a direct invite or a direct offer, they hire the freelancer they just and abandon their initial job posting.

- many clients use more than one online platform. If they hire on one they rarely bother to close the postings on the others. 

Also another thing. This is how much you value yourself:

Capture d’écran 2019-05-17 à 17.37.21.jpg

I would not hire you. I would think you're not a pro. competition on Upwork is extreme, you cannot compete on price. No way. There are bozos who are, literally, ready to work for free. You need to compete on quality and value, not on the price only.

And finally, remove all your direct contact information from all your portfolio content and do it now, before Upwork kicks you from the platform for terms of service violation. You need to read the said terms of service if you haven't already. It's boring, but it contains valuable information.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Andrew A wrote:

I am surprised how many clients post jobs and make no decisions

Andrew, there are few possible reasons for this:

- it happens often that a client posts a job for let's say an hourly contract and then, after discussing the project with a freelancer they decide to go with a fixed rate contract. Or the other way around. In this case some clients create a direct invite or a direct offer, they hire the freelancer they just and abandon their initial job posting.

- many clients use more than one online platform. If they hire on one they rarely bother to close the postings on the others. 

And finally, remove all your direct contact information from all your portfolio content and do it now, before Upwork kicks you from the platform for terms of service violation. You need to read the said terms of service if you haven't already. It's boring, but it contains valuable information.

Yes, that brings us to the OTHER reason that it may look like a client has been unresponsive - because a freelancer went against the TOS and posted personal contact information in his profile, so the client contacted him directly and hired him off the platform.

lysis10
Community Member

Consider yourself lucky. I wish some of these losers wouldn't contact me, but they do thinking I'll fall for their stupid "I have soooo much work for you" nonsense with their scrub broke-butt basement dwelling.

Jennifer M wrote:

Consider yourself lucky. I wish some of these losers wouldn't contact me, but they do thinking I'll fall for their stupid "I have soooo much work for you" nonsense with their scrub broke-butt basement dwelling.

When someone tries to sell me on accepting a lower rate because they'll have a lot of work, I always tell them that's totally out of the question--that I might occasionally consider a lower rate for a small one-off if I'm interested in it and have time, but I certainly wouldn't lock myself into a lower rate for a large volume of work.

2f5ff562
Community Member

Ok Jennifer, i thought you were being a little mean on my thread, now i see you are a tough person! XD which is ok! everyone has a unique personality.

2f5ff562
Community Member

Unfortunately that is the way it is around here, you have to tweak your profile, portfolio, messages, cover letters, everything to get to a point where you are interesting to clients, and yes at first we all sent millions of proposals before landing an interview, i dont have much much time here, but i´ve seen a couple of things from experience, from help here on the forums from the gurus, and from Upwork help documents, there´s a lot in here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us and a lot of other assistance pages they have. 

But don´t give up!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members