cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-responsive client and JS Score

agenes
Alice G Member Since: Jun 7, 2009
1 of 14

I have a client who has stopped responding to my messages after they hired me. I haven’t done any work for them yet. They set a milestone in place, but didn’t send over the details about work. I know from past experience that my JS score will drop if I close the contract myself. Is there any way to close the contract without my score being affected? I had a quick chat with an Upwork agent, who basically told me that my JS score will drop if I close the contract myself and that the client can provide feedback even though there was no work actually involved. 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 14

The client may leave a feedback only if money was exchanged. If you close one job, you won't see any noticeable effect on JSS. I have closed a couple of jobs by myself, never impacted my JSS.

If there is a pattern of jobs being closed without feedback, your JSS will eventually be impacted, however.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
agenes
3 of 14

I thought so, but I just had a conversation with an Upwork agent who explicitly told me the client CAN leave feedback even if money didn't exchange hands. It's really confusing not to mention not fair if that would be the case.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 14

Hi Alice,

I am sorry you have had troubles communicating with the client. You can still give the client some time to respond to you with instructions, maybe they haven't been able to get back to you for some reason.

A couple of things I would like to note:

- If you (freelancer) end a fixed-price contract with money in Escrow, the funded amount is automatically refunded to the client.

- If no money exchanged hands or the full amount is refunded, public feedback will not show on the freelancer's and the client's profiles. Private feedback can still be left and it will be included in the Job Success Score.

~ Valeria
Upwork
agenes
5 of 14

Thank you for your reply, Valeria. You can obviously see how that's not fair as freelancers have no way of knowing which client really wants the work and which will change their mind after the contract starts. I don't accept offers from clients without feedback anymore, but that only gets me so far. About 1 in 3 of my clients disappears into thin air after the job is complete and I have to chase them to close the job and leave feedback, something that I loathe to do. Living in constant anxiety about being penalized for something out of your control is not funny. I know that the "no feedback score impacts JS" has been overly discussed, but when the majority thinks it's faulty, maybe something should be done about that.

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
6 of 14

Alice,

The reason I started posting in the forum was very similar to yours.

A job, where no money was exchanged and that never got off the ground before I ended it.

It affected me very badly, and even though it was as unfair then as it is now - nothing has changed within the past year. It seems, Upwork is OK with this client-freelancer imbalance. It must pay to hold on to it.

I hope it works out for you.

P.S. I do SO miss Krisztina U.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 14

I close jobs all the time all by myself because JSS don't scare me. Sometimes, I close like 5 at a time and just yell at the monitor "com at me br0" and then I laugh and laugh and laugh.

agenes
8 of 14

All I can say is that I wish I could be like you Smiley Happy

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 14

@Alice G wrote:

All I can say is that I wish I could be like you Smiley Happy

There are drawbacks in being Jen.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 14

If I don't earn at least 1 hater on the internet every day, I'm doing something wrong.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS