cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-responsive client - what to do?

eilean
Active

I accepted an offer from a client 10 days ago so we have an open contract. I have sent him multiple messages but he has never responded. I haven't charged him for any work. At this point, I'd like to just close the contract and move on. Is that possible? And if I do that will it negatively affect my review score? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "What would you suggest I do to minimize the damage and move forward?"

If you genuinely are not able to complete the task that you were hired to do, then it would be wrong to use the "Submit Work / Request Payment" button.

So the only thing you can do to minimize the damage is to wait. See if the client contacts you and asks you about the status of the project, at which time you can ask him to provide you with what you need.

If you have some way of completing the task, even if you do not have 100% certaintity about some details, then I suggest you do so, and submit the work using the official button. That button provides the client the opportunity to request changes.

If you just wait, then you will not need to close the contract with zero pay. The open contract is currently not hurting you in any way.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
tlbp
Community Guru

Do you have an hourly or fixed contract? I would not rush to close it. Others will weigh in on the potential effect on your JSS. 

Thanks for the quick response. It's a fixed-price project. Would appreciate what others think as well. 

re: "I accepted an offer from a client 10 days ago so we have an open contract. I have sent him multiple messages but he has never responded. I haven't charged him for any work. At this point, I'd like to just close the contract and move on. Is that possible? And if I do that will it negatively affect my review score?"

Yes, if you close a contract without having earned any money, then it will be a zero-pay contract. These affect your Job Success Score negatively.

You should not have accepted this fixed-price contract until you had all the information and files necessary to complete the contract. When I have a fixed-price contract, it DOES NOT MATTER if the client is responsive or not. I am able to complete the contract and get paid even if I never hear from the client.

You made a mistake. This is your mistake, and not your client's fault. But don't worry! You can recover from this. You can learn from your mistake and not do the same thing again.

Yup, I definitely made a mistake. I'm new to Upwork, so still learning. Going forward, will definitely make sure I have all the information and materials I need before accepting an offer. 

What would you suggest I do to minimize the damage and move forward? 

re: "What would you suggest I do to minimize the damage and move forward?"

If you genuinely are not able to complete the task that you were hired to do, then it would be wrong to use the "Submit Work / Request Payment" button.

So the only thing you can do to minimize the damage is to wait. See if the client contacts you and asks you about the status of the project, at which time you can ask him to provide you with what you need.

If you have some way of completing the task, even if you do not have 100% certaintity about some details, then I suggest you do so, and submit the work using the official button. That button provides the client the opportunity to request changes.

If you just wait, then you will not need to close the contract with zero pay. The open contract is currently not hurting you in any way.

Thanks. I've used the information I have to deliver as good a product as I can to the client. I requested payment for the milestone in Upwork and attached my work as supporting documentation. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS