🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Non-upwork client contracts
Page options
jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Non-upwork client contracts

I noticed there was a notification that now Upwork has hourly contracts for "non-upwork" clients.  While that sounds nice, what happens when a freelancer uses this feature and initiates a contract with a "non-upwork" client? 

Does the freelancer now need to pay a conversion fee to do any future business with the "non-upwork"client?  If I were to use this feature, am I now barred from engaging and invoicing the client for future work?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Jeremiah,

Thank you for your questions. I would like to add that after you and your client agree to create a contract and set a weekly rate and time limit, we’ll estimate the weekly total and require your client to deposit that amount into Upwork’s secure escrow account.  Once your client funds the deposit, we will notify you and you can confidently begin work knowing your payment is secure. Please note that payment protection does not cover work additional hours beyond the set weekly limit or expenses. 

As a freelancer, you’ll pay a processing fee of 3.4% of the total contract amount but you won’t pay any freelancer service fees to Upwork. Your client won’t have to create an Upwork account or pay any additional fees, keeping the experience easy to use for them. You can find more information in this help article

For additional help on how to create and manage your direct contracts feel free to check this help article

Let us know if you have further questions.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Jeremiah B wrote:

If I were to use this feature, am I now barred from engaging and invoicing the client for future work? 

No, because you didn't "meet" the client on Upwork.

You mean "direct contracts" by the way.

NikolaS

Hi Jeremiah,

Thank you for your questions. I would like to add that after you and your client agree to create a contract and set a weekly rate and time limit, we’ll estimate the weekly total and require your client to deposit that amount into Upwork’s secure escrow account.  Once your client funds the deposit, we will notify you and you can confidently begin work knowing your payment is secure. Please note that payment protection does not cover work additional hours beyond the set weekly limit or expenses. 

As a freelancer, you’ll pay a processing fee of 3.4% of the total contract amount but you won’t pay any freelancer service fees to Upwork. Your client won’t have to create an Upwork account or pay any additional fees, keeping the experience easy to use for them. You can find more information in this help article

For additional help on how to create and manage your direct contracts feel free to check this help article

Let us know if you have further questions.

~ Nikola
Upwork

So basically I can use Upwork as a contract and escrow facilitator.  Got it, thanks!

alexandernovikov
Community Member

No, of course that doesn't "lock you in" with that client. You haven't found him on Upwork so you are not obliged to work with him through Upwork, it's an option. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members