cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non virtual job postings

noltepatty
Ace Contributor

Recently I have been seeing an increasing number of work posts that are in fact local jobs, not virtual.  I applied to 2 since nothing indicated it was employment in a specific city.  Didn't know until the client sent me a message.

Why are these showing up now more frequently?  Why isn't Upwork doing more to ensure new clients understand this is not an employment board?

Thank you.

Patty Nolte

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

Patty is right, over the last weeks I have seen several jobs where clients have looked for employees or alternatively a freelancer/employee who works in their office - in German and English language. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
yitwail
Community Guru

Patty N, I may be mistaken but as far as I know Upwork regulations don't exclude local jobs. For instance, videographers may need to shoot footage at the client's location.

This widget could not be displayed.

Patty is right, over the last weeks I have seen several jobs where clients have looked for employees or alternatively a freelancer/employee who works in their office - in German and English language. 

I just got another client who contacted me and was interested but wanted me to work out of her office.  And I am seeing a lot of "personal assistant" postings and many appear to be local.

My point is that postings that end up to be local jobs are not identified as such.   How hard would it be to ask that question on the form, virtual or local??

Videographers in local communities have many options to post their services and I am unhappy that you think this isn't a problem with Upstart.  

If Upwork is not dedicated to virtual workers, who is?  No other source has such a range of tasks and categories.  

I can see how a videographer would need to work "on location" and would be paid through UpWork.  However, I'm concerned that posting for VA's etc. that are wanted to work "in-house" could actually fall under the ToS issue with Circumvention.  Surely those clients are not going to want to pay through UpWork and are, in reality, using UpWork incorrectly.

While I realize that "some" clients will remain honest, the opportunity to simply go around the system through those postings is quite obvious.  I'd be flagging those postings for review.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~

Kathryn,

Thank you for understanding issue.  

On the 3 jobs I sent proposals and was contacted,   I do believe the personal assistant clients may not understood what a virual job meant.  

I don't know what a new client sees when they come into Upstart but I would love to see maybe more information about what a virtual job entails.

The client who contacted me today offered a very goodfixed price.  Was beyond disappointed that she really liked me but It was a local job.

I am disabled and must work out of my home.  So this is site is a real lifeline for me. It is hard enough to get jobs without dealing with local job solicitations.  

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Patty and others,

On site jobs aren't in violation of Upwork ToS and are allowed as long as payments are made through Upwork.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria,

I am having the same issue.  It is difficult as a freelancer to know whether the job is local or virtual.  Can Upwork make that a question for the clients? Maybe they can check a box?

Thanks,

Andrea

Thank you for this feedback, Andrea. I'll be sure to share it with our team. 

Currently, clients can create preferences for freelancers from specific countries. This would be a preference and would not exclude freelancers located in other countries from applying unless they make the job post US-OnlyThere may be various reasons why a client may use that option. Their projects may require localized knowledge, the possibility of on-site coordination, specific compliance needs or other factors that make working with someone within their country a preferable way for them.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Bojan,

Thank you for your response! With regard to the country preferences, that makes sense. 

What I'm referring to is specifically whether the client prefers a local freelancer that they can meet in person to complete the job, or can the job be done virtually.  This makes a very big difference as to whether a freelancer is going to apply for that posting or not (and will potentially be wasting connects if the job requirements are local and the freelancer can only work virtually). 

Kindly,

Andrea

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS