cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Even a Proposal Review?!!?

Ace Contributor
Dimitar O Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
11 of 45

No, you don't have tha same looking picture.. And I believe nobody will judge you for the color of your skin - here is too international and there are freelancers and clients from all over the world. Black, white, latino, asian - really doesn't matter.

On your photo your face is half visible - just put a normal picture, where the client can see your face. I noticed you're starting the new sentence with small letters - thats just not serious and thats something the clients are looking at. Improve your profile - you have very good suggestions here and don't "shout" in your profile with these (!!!).

Cheers,

Dimitar

Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
12 of 45

I don't know where you see exclamation marks in his profile-he changed his overview completely four, five days ago. As well as his photo. 

Cheers

Ace Contributor
Dimitar O Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
13 of 45

Yep, Natasha, my mistake. My info is old and i haven't finished my coffee Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
14 of 45

Julian, they hire me and I 'm a gray outline:-))

With that said, it was very hard to get hired when I was new and had no history here.  It is hard now as well to expand the business to new clients (this year I worked mostly with my old clients due to all the technical challenges and changes, but that is a different story.)

You definitely need more items in your portfolio and more tests.

There are many people out there- it doesn't necessarily mean that something is wrong with your profile. It is just harder when you are starting out and many people came from Elance this year as well. Many, many people...

So I mean, I would work on adding more tests and more portfolio items if I were you.

I personally do not care about photo when hiring someone, and many other clients don't.You are not hired to be a model or actor and smile sheepishly,  but because you have certain skills.  Yours and anyone else's look is irrelevant.

Community Guru
Steve B Member Since: Jul 1, 2015
15 of 45

Looks to me like you're getting a lot of great advice but you are rejecting most of it.

My two cents: the photo is important.  Some established freelancers can surely get away without one, but a good photo can help a lot with a freelancer working to get traction. Myself included!  In fact this has reminded me to photoshop my own profile to remove the partial background. 

Looking at your photo, at first I thought you were possibly a hunchback, like the hunchback of Notre Dame. Then I thought, maybe he's setting in an odd-shaped high back chair, is he Dr. No or something? What's up with resting on his hand, is he a wise guy? The hatched background is distracting too - is he at an Asian-themed restaurant with the room dividers??

My best guess from the photo would be that you couldn't be bothered to use a decent profile shot. Then I get into your profile and it has all the weaknesses that have been pointed out, and I'm clicking away. 

Just trying to be helpful here. 

Krystalina S Member Since: Oct 8, 2015
16 of 45

I agree with Aaron H., and most definitely, have a professional head shot photo. Porfessional photos will do a great job with backgrounds and skin tones. I had a professional photo done. At first I thought, no way, I hate light blue in the background, but it brought out my skin tone and nice hair. I love the photo, I used it as my author photo!

Ace Contributor
Paula S Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
17 of 45

There are a LOT of providers on Upwork. I have a complete profile, an extensive portfolio and extensive experience in my field and I have been disappointed in the experience here so far. (I am recenlty migrated from Elance where I had a reasonable amount of success). While I think everyone can and should strive to improve their profiles there are a lot of variables that go into every request and proposal so IMHO to automaticaly blame it on a photo or any ONE thing makes no sense.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 45

re: "you and i have the same pose and expression in our pics."

I'm actively trying to decrease the number of offers I get because I get too many and I'm too busy with work on Upwork. You are trying to get your first job in Upwork.

Whether or not the facial expression in your previous photo is analogous to mine is debatable, but also beside the point. The purpose of my profile and photo is not the same as your purpose.

My photo should NOT be used as an example for a new Upwork contractor. My photo has a very calculated intent. It is not what I would use if I was a newbie contractor looking for my first job.

Ace Contributor
Lars S Member Since: Jul 19, 2015
19 of 45

I have exactly the same experience. Right now, I applied for a job that examine the historical place in Europe, especially things related to WW2. I set a price for the job, and spent a good while on the propose. However, 10 min after I had sent it, another freelancer was taken. This field is I, relatively expert on. I have read about it since I was little. As well as each of the places, he would have information about. I have been there.  It does not seem that the client will have quality of the work.

I tend to use time on proposel, and believes that it is important to write good proposal. But what provokes me is that there are many who does not consume any time on proposel. 1 min after the ad is on Upwork then has allready 10 freelancers applied the same position. Seemed that Upwork'd done nothing to weed out those who do not take jobs seriously, and only seeking ramdom.

This is certainly out of the subject, but I searched for a translation job the other day. Norwegian English. Then it was even a number of applicants who did not come from Norway, and have no knowledge of the Norwegian language. I do not think they have anything on Upwork to do.

Had been lovely with a feature on Upwork where clients are forced to take those skilled in the job, instead of freelancers who is cheapest.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
20 of 45

@Lars S wrote:
1) Right now, I applied for a job that examine the historical place in Europe, especially things related to WW2. I set a price for the job, and spent a good while on the propose. However, 10 min after I had sent it, another freelancer was taken. This field is I, relatively expert on. I have read about it since I was little. As well as each of the places, he would have information about. I have been there.  It does not seem that the client will have quality of the work.

2) This is certainly out of the subject, but I searched for a translation job the other day. Norwegian English. Then it was even a number of applicants who did not come from Norway, and have no knowledge of the Norwegian language.

1) Lars, was this a project to write about that historical place in English?

2) Lars, with all due respect, and much affection, your English is nowhere near up to translating from Norwegian into English. It is probably sufficient to translate most straightforward texts from English to Norwegian, but absolutely not the other way round.

A translator must be near native (and ideally native or native-equivalent) in the TARGET language, not the source language. Obviously both is ideal, but the level of the target language is the basis of any translation project.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS