Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Even a Proposal Review?!!?

Ace Contributor
Maria Criselda E Member Since: Sep 25, 2015
41 of 45

Not sure if trolling but anyway..

Julian, stop arguing with everyone. This whole thread is unbelievable. Don't ask for advice if you aren't capable of accepting real talk. You can't figure out what the difference is between you and the other freelancers who get hired over you? Take a look at how you talk to the people on this thread, then take a look at your profile and then take a look at the number of times you've been hired. If you aren't going to use any of the good advise you asked for and, stop asking questions. Go troll some other forum.

@Julian B wrote:

A lot of people seem to think that seeing an abbreviation is a problem, then they also say the clients arent reading through everything, which begs the question: why not abbreviate if they arent even taking time to read full sentences...

It's true many clients don't read everything. So, when they do read something, make sure it isn't slang, jargon or abbreviations- those make you look lazy, unprofessional and untrustworthy. Is that so hard to deduce?

If you love the way you've done your profile so much, keep it that way and good luck to ya.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
42 of 45

Julian,

Your overview looks much better now. It still needs a little work, but it is much more convincing. You need to put a picture of yourself back into the frame.

As an example, Maliki's picture is perfect. If I were a client, I would hire that smiley face along with the talent in a heartbeat. So why not get a good pic of yourself up there too?

Community Leader
Carlton D Member Since: Aug 5, 2015
43 of 45

SNL? Robot LOL

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CROM, MAKE ME STRONGER!
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
44 of 45

This thread is now the pic saga. What will he go with? Stay tuned to find out.

I hope he has a professional looking shirt to appease the Preston.

Tamara S Member Since: Oct 9, 2015
45 of 45

As a white person, I can't speak on the matter of discrimination. It's highly possible that people (even unconsciously) discriminate just by looking at a photo, but since this website requires a photo (any photo - but real one is better than some cartoon) make sure it's either you in front of a light background (like for passport photos but with a smile!!), or a casual photo with less noisy background. In your photo, half of your face is cut off because of the shape of the thumbnail, you basically look like you're photo-bombing the photo of your computer and the background is noisy (especially the glare from the screen). Make sure your face is the main focus of the photo.

I'm not a photographer nor resume professional, so I wouldn't know if there's a magic recipe for profile and career photos. I guess I should just shut up and be lucky I'm white and therefore less likely to be discriminated against? :/

Anyway, onto the main issue - getting a job!

I'm definitely not an experienced Elancer/UpWorker, but that's mostly because soon after I started getting jobs here, I got a long term full time job.

As someone who was once new to this website, I can give you some tips that all of a sudden changed the game for me.

• One of the most important things on here is to have some feedback. Of course, since you're new, you don't have any. So, in order to get some, as much as it pains you, offer to work for free: bid on a fixed job (or 2 or 3, but not on an ongoing one!!) and choose an EASY one (since you're working for free!). Bid the lowest the website will allow (I don't think it will let you offer '0' because the website has to take a fee). In the proposal, explain that you're willing to do the job for free in order to gain some experience on this website. After the first feedback, more (paid) jobs started coming in!

• Second thing (in my opinion), is the profile. You obviously have experience and education. Put it FIRST. Then below that, put what you can offer. You're writing what you can offer in a job proposal, anyway!

• And lastly, competativeness. As you have probably noticed, there are people from all over the world on this site, and in some countries dollar is worth a lot more than it is in America. Therefore, people will bid really low prices and many clients would like to save some money. You can gauge amount to bid in order to have competative price by looking at the country of the bidders. If most bids are some people from countries with lower standard (where dollar is worth more) you will either have to lower your price drastically or pass. You can tell if the client is willing to match your price or will choose one of the low-bidders, by looking at the budget. (Entry level, Intermediate, Expert). Those who list Intermediate and Expert are willing to pay more and you don't have to 'underbid'.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS