🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Not Getting paid
Page options
dedicj
Community Member

Not Getting paid

Hi I was working for a guy in the summer. It was a web work with fixed price. I was new to upwork back then and I sent him the finished product to chat in the interview phase, so he didn't pay me and now he's unresponsive. What can I do
Hope to hear from you soon.
Juraj
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
talhar30
Community Member

In that case, Even upwork wont be able to help you because you have already completed the job. Sadly there are many similar cases and this is something that has also happened with me. Anyways mistakes are made and you have to learn from it, make sure not to do the same mistake again. Wish you a good luck! 

Talha Riaz

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
talhar30
Community Member

In that case, Even upwork wont be able to help you because you have already completed the job. Sadly there are many similar cases and this is something that has also happened with me. Anyways mistakes are made and you have to learn from it, make sure not to do the same mistake again. Wish you a good luck! 

Talha Riaz
vintart
Community Member

That is the opposite of a solution.

petra_r
Community Member

Andrija V wrote:

That is the opposite of a solution.

It's reality. No contract = No way to get paid. The end.

alluad-elmer
Community Member

Juraj,

If it's fixed price make sure your client have a funded in escrow,  if your already submit make your you click the payment request, in if your client is unresponsive wait until 14 days. It's automatically you were paid. in wait again for 5 days for security. I hope i can help you.

Best regards

Elmer

Elmer A wrote:

Juraj,

If it's fixed price make sure your client have a funded in escrow,  if your already submit make your you click the payment request, in if your client is unresponsive wait until 14 days. It's automatically you were paid. in wait again for 5 days for security. I hope i can help you.

Best regards

Elmer

Elmer, in this case there isn't any money in escrow, because the client didn't hire him. Therefore, Upwork won't be able to help.

Juraj, I would recommend that you start at this link and read everything about how to work here. Then you can avoid making any more mistakes.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us?flash_digest=9cb426e753bc6e87e53c4b21da63bf0d5a9f7029

Christine A wrote:

Elmer A wrote:

Juraj,

Best regards

Elmer

Elmer, in this case there isn't any money in escrow, because the client didn't hire him. Therefore, Upwork won't be able to help.

Juraj, I would recommend that you start at this link and read everything about how to work here. Then you can avoid making any more mistakes.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us?flash_digest=9cb426e753bc6e87e53c4b21da63bf0d5a9f7029

What a novel idea - learning how things work beforehand, not after. Something many people don't seem to bother with.

Oh I'm sorry to heard that, so juraj won't get paid.  Before you start working make sure juraj you have a contract.

dedicj
Community Member

Thanks for explaining.
I know I've made a mistake. But common, these mechanics should be explained to the freelancers at the start. Right after registration the freelancers are pushed to create their CV set up profile etc.. But ultimately the freelancers just want their money and that is forgotten a bit.

Juraj:

You made a mistake.

Don't worry about it!

Lots of freelancers make a similar mistake.

Now you have learned to not work without an official contract in place first.

Don't look back. Don't try to get money for that project. Look forward and earn.

mtngigi
Community Member

Juraj D wrote:
Thanks for explaining.
I know I've made a mistake. But common, these mechanics should be explained to the freelancers at the start. Right after registration the freelancers are pushed to create their CV set up profile etc.. But ultimately the freelancers just want their money and that is forgotten a bit.

Juraj,

Everything is explained to freelancers, but only if they choose to check out all the many help topics available to them - pinned at the top of forums and under the ? icon on their account page. Quick forum searches bring up scores of posts that will help you learn.

That so many new freelancers do not bother to understand how things work is not on Upwork, it's on the freelancers. Contracts are a part of freelancing, both here and in the real world. It is common knowledge that for the most part, and especially when working online with complete strangers, it is not wise to work without a contract.

Upwork cannot realistically take the hand of each and every freelancer to teach them how the site works. You are an independant business owner, the responsibility is on you to learn how to work safe and get paid. Preston is correct, learn from this mistake and move on.

kinector
Community Member

I think many starting freelancers are under the illusion that some system available online for free makes them freelancers.

The reality is opposite.

You run your own business. You are the business.

You can utilize some of these platforms for building your business.

Also, it would be strategically unwise to depend on one source of clients, i.e. having multiple sales channels gives you the best chance of staying in business for a longer time.

No platform is responsible for teaching you how to freelance. That's not how it works.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths