Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Receiving Invitations to Interview Lately

jorgensons
Community Guru
Signe J Member Since: Jan 29, 2016
1 of 14

Has anyone else had a dramatic slow in their invitations to interview lately? I usually get at least 4-5 invitations each week for legit jobs that I'm at least semi-qualified for, but in the last 7-10 days I've had...none. (Just 2 spam offers.) I haven't changed my profile or skills, nor have I received any negative client feedback that might be scaring people off. Is it just a slow time at Upwork? Am I not being recommended to clients as they set up their jobs? Any thoughts?

I'm starting to get really nervous...especially in combination with the snafu of wasting a connects on jobs that had deceptive data on the job post page. (I caught two last night that claimed to have a low number of applicants and 0 interviews, but after I submitted my proposals, I found that many others had applied and several people were being interviewed. Aargh!)

Before I panic completely, I'd like to know if others are having similar experiences. If this is just a slow time because people are on Spring Break, celebrating Easter, or whatever, then I'll calm down. But if things are rolling along as normal for everyone else and it's just me...well...*gulp.*

miroslav84
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
2 of 14

Back on elance I used to receive invites regularly. Once I moved to Upwork I quickly received one or two invitations, but there was none in several months afterwards. Just last month or so I have started getting invites anew but often nowhere close to my skills. Interestingly, I started receiving invites once my JSS fell below 90%. Doubt its related but still looks odd.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 14

THey come in waves, and Upwork has said that they rotate people, so it's normal.

slivaniou
Community Leader
Stella L Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
4 of 14

Hi Signe,

I have noticed that in various time periods. Maybe it's rotation as Jenniffer says, or the Easter holidays, or a combination of factors. Let's hope that the next wave comes soon!

tgstudio
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
5 of 14

Upwork rotates their recommendations to give everyone a fair chance at the job (even though who they recommend may be completely wrong for the position). Some months I get tons of invites and other months I barely receive one.

I wouldn't worry. This may be a slow month for you. Next month will probably be a completely different story. That is a life of a freelancer, feast or famine.

lisawerk
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
6 of 14

Yeah, I've noticed a definite downtick in invites. I used to get several a week, even many a day before I had a JSS. I got my first JSS and had Rising Talent for a week...I got a bunch that week. Now I'm Top Rated and I haven't really gotten any since I got that badge.

Although I did just get one that really fit my skills...but the proposal number and interview discrepancies were so widely different that it didn't seem worth it to bother applying.

kulkarni_ashish
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
7 of 14

@Lisa W wrote:

Yeah, I've noticed a definite downtick in invites. I used to get several a week, even many a day before I had a JSS. I got my first JSS and had Rising Talent for a week...I got a bunch that week. Now I'm Top Rated and I haven't really gotten any since I got that badge.

Although I did just get one that really fit my skills...but the proposal number and interview discrepancies were so widely different that it didn't seem worth it to bother applying.

Got my first good invite today after a week since I got my top rated badge. He invited 2 people, I responded quick and got hired. So 1 perfect fit among 7 invites so far.

russtice
Community Leader
Russell T Member Since: Jul 25, 2015
8 of 14
I agree with the down tick as well it's also reflected in my profile views. I'm not sure if it's the regular flux of incoming client work or some odd algorithm that Upwork utilizes to focus on certain freelancers. It's certainly not my js score. Any insights would be nice.
battershall-ramo
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
9 of 14

I get about five a day, not one of them remotely related to my profile.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
10 of 14

I have received 11 invitations since yesterday morning... and only 2 of those jobs were relevant (funnily enough, Signe, you were also invited to one of them).

I get plenty of invites, but rarely any decent ones.

**Edited to add: Just got my 12th invite - to write about "adultery and infidelity". Just great.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS