Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Not) Submitting a Proposal on a low budget for Experts

Highlighted
Alexandre R Member Since: Nov 19, 2015
1 of 9

Hi all,

Recently I've been seeing more and more projects posted asking for qualified experts in my working area (marketing/Adwords) offering incredibly low budgets as $25... Is Upwork transforming itself on something like Fiverr?

It's very disapointing seeing projects where Client wants specific professionals with skills, experience and know-how and then offer... $25 for a workload that will require at least 2/3 hours. But even more disapointing is seeing Freelancers oferring on those projects. In my prespective this sort of projects should be boycoted because no expert should work for $5-10/hr it's just not real! The sort of gains and input that you will give to the client will value much more. 

Let me know your thoughts either, I would like to know your opinions about this.

Thanks,
Alex

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 9

Easy issue to deal with: don't bid, move, forget. Everybody here is an expert in SEO, in Adwords and such. Those experts are experts in whatever you want as soon as you hire them. Their only marketable asset is their rock bottom rate, and there is a market of cheap clients for those experts in everything.

Clients who want real expertise don't hire those.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
3 of 9

Adding to Rene's sound suggestion ...

If the job appeals to you submit a proposal that includes what you can and will do for $X amount of money.  If you prefer, explain what the current budget will get the buyer and then what it would cost to do the job correctly.

All you need to do is insert a line at the end reading along the lines of "my quote, as it appears due to freelancer's  inability to change (if this is the case) the end value, is not valid and does not accurately reflect my bid."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 9

My favorites are the ones who claim to be Google certified in SEO and there is no such thing.

Upwork would kill of 90% of terrible people on this platform if they just banned people on here who call themselves an "SEO expert" or "white hat backlink builder." 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
5 of 9

$5/$10 per hour, seems pretty high to me. There's a minimum hourly rate of $3.00 per hour and most of the jobs listed are looking for the lowest conractor. Upwork sort of encourages that because of the levels that are presented to a client, one of which is "I'm looking for the lowest freelancer"  And there are tons of contractors applying for those jobs. It's good that at least there IS a minimum hourly rate otherewise, clients will post jobs with $1 or maybe even lower (if they can get away with it) And I'm pretty sure there would be contractors who are willing to work for those wages.

Boycotting is usless. For every one contractor who would boycott there are 20 contractors who are more then happy to work for those wages.

When it comes to Fixed rate jobs. that's a whole different story because there is NO minimum fixed rate. So, in reality, a client could post a job that requires 3 hours of work and have a 50 cent fixed rate budget. And I'll bet that there will be contractors submitting proposals for that.

Untill Upwork decidees to elevate their site to a more "upscale" site, which in turn would attract more skills, professional clients and contractors there will be a lot more posts complaining of lowballers for both clients and contractors.  I highly doubt they will do this as cheap jobs/contractors bring in more money in the long run.

The only thing you can do concerning this is to ignore those jobs and hope that you have the qualifications, skills and experience that a "diamond in the rough" client will come along and hire you. Those clients although they are on this site, are mostly already taken. Finding a "new" one is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 9

Hi Alexandre, Kathy and others,

Your feedback is very valuable to us as we are planning a number of initiatives to elevate the marketplace. We definitely encourage freelancers to bid with higher rates and clients to provide appropriate compensation for quality work.

Additionally, I would like to confirm that there is a $3/hour minimum hourly rate and $5 minimum fixed-price budget:

Screenshot_2.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
7 of 9

Valeria - I'm assuming that what you've shown above, is visible on the CLIENTS side. But that does NOT prevent a contractor putting in a bid less that the "$5 minimum. On other sites, if there is a minimum rate whether it's for hourly or fixed, if a contractor tries to put in an amount lower then the sites minimum, an "error" message will come up.

No where could I find, in the TOS when it concerns contractors bids does it mention any fixed rate minimums. I'm able to see in a few places where it specifies minimum houry rates that $3 IS mentioned. And just to test this out, I looked for a job with a fixed rate budget and I entered in $1.00. I did not submit this, stopping at the very last check box option.

So although this $5 minimum budget notice and it prevents CLEINTS from entering in budgest less then that. technicalyy on the contractors side, there is NO minimum fixed rate and they can enter in any amount their choose.

EDITED - I tried to enter an amount under $3.00 for an hourly job and I got a message, bolded in red saying that an amount that's lower can't be submitted.

So, until and unless such a message pops up on Fixed rate jobs that prevents any contractor from putting in a bid less then that $5 minimum as I stated above, there is NO minimum fixed rate.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
8 of 9
This widget could not be displayed.

A verified payment method for clients before placing their job offers and a paid membership for freelancers could help a lot to improve the quality of the platform.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 9

My thought is "to each his own". I personally have a floor below which I won't work unless there's a very good reason (it's a job that I really want to do for my own reasons, it's a charitable organization I believe in, etc.), but I understand that different people have different goals. 

If someone trying to break into a new field or who is hard up for cash or just sees a job he really feels like doing whether it's profitable or not, that's none of my business.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS