howdymedia

Not appearing in "Freelancer Search" Hourly project favoritism? Agency hating?

So now that I've worked a month on UpWork, I've completed a number of projects and even though about 2/3rds of my Elance projects made the transfer (Elance shows 437 projects, Upwork shows 293), I can not find myself on the browse listings:

https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/browse/

I tried filtering Web Development, United States, 90% of higher success rate, and $60 or higher an hour. I went though all of those listings (about 170) and was not listed.

The only way to find my profile was to enter my name.

I do not do hourly projects on UpWork and never did them on Elance, but it seems like the number of hours is supposed to be more important than the number of projects which isn't even shown in the list results.

Looking at the actual projects available, the majority in the Web Development are Fixed Price, not Hourly. Why this hatred of fixed priced providers?

Why am I not listed? Is it because my account is an agency account?

I received many project invites on Elance, next to none here on UpWork. What gives?

11 REPLIES 11
howdymedia

Also, none of my feedback with ratings or actual feedback from the clients are showing on the public profile, on either the agency or freelancer side.

Again, what gives?

Not a fan of hourly either, but I've done a lot more of them since being on Upwork. To make decent money, you'll have to give up the "no hourly" rule I think. Lots of people prefer it here. It's not so bad although I insist on manual hours. As long as you stick with people who have a good history, I think the loss (and I assume I will have loss from manual time) is small..... and it's a tax writeoff I think w00t! 😄

For invites, I think they happen as you build a better reputation and become active, win jobs, let the algorithms figure out where you belong and all that jazz.  I'd say invites started coming in much more frequently for me after a few months of consistent activity. Now, it's kinda cool because every Monday when it's time for me to fill my plate with work for the week, I get several really great invites. The invites are much more targeted here, so that's good.

I only do hourly projects for my clients outside of UpWork, and will never do hourly projects on UpWork because:

A. The unwarranted security hold on hourly projects is worsened on hourly projects since hourly projects are paid out on Mondays only (from what I've seen mentioned here).

B. I frequently answer emails and check on things for my clients. I can not accept the possibility that a time tracker screenshot captures sensitive information.

I know that I can report hours and use my own time tracker, but the already disruptive "security hold" delay is completely unacceptable when extended even father on hourly projects.

Hourly UpWork projects are not needed to make good money, and as I pointed out, there are more fixed rate projects. Yes, hourly makes up about 45% of the projects, but there are still lots of projects to bid on, and the fixed prices are weighted heavily toward the (*quasi-)middle budget bracket, where hourly are pretty even between low and middle brackets. With expert level project, fixed price wins again, where hourly favors the lower and middle brackets.

*Quasi because a client can claim they want an expert and put a laughable budget of $5 for the project.

fixed_price.png

hourly.png

fixed.png

@Steve B wrote:

Also, none of my feedback with ratings or actual feedback from the clients are showing on the public profile, on either the agency or freelancer side.

Again, what gives?

What do you mean?

I see lots of feedback and ratings on both profiles?

steve feedback.png

Try NOT to be the one who ends contracts as that means the client is not forced to leave feedback, better to let the client end contracts so you are guaranteed feedback.

You may have missed where I said "public profiles", which would mean public-facing profiles available when not logged in to UpWork.

The feedback and projects posted here are from December, and some are Elance projects. I've completed 10 UpWork projects in my first month on UpWork, although 5 were in the last week. Almost none of these are showing, even though "Newest First" is selected.

public_profile.png

petra_r

why DO you have an agency account?

the majority of clients much prefer an individual freelancer over an agency freelancer, and will not invite agency freelancers.

The ONLY reason to have an agency is if you want to run a team of freelancers under your agency, which you do not have. In any other context it works against you.

@Petra R wrote:

why DO you have an agency account?

the majority of clients much prefer an individual freelancer over an agency freelancer, and will not invite agency freelancers.

The ONLY reason to have an agency is if you want to run a team of freelancers under your agency, which you do not have. In any other context it works against you.

Why do you keep asking me this question?

I've already answered it. Please stop.

And I'd like to know your source for your claim of what the majority of clients prefer.

For what it is worth, my award rate is about 40 to 50%, meaning I bid on 10 projects, I am awarded 4 to 5. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Steve,

I was able to find your profile after applying certain filters. Please, see the screenshots below:

Screenshot_14.png

Also, it looks like feedback provided by clients on contracts where money was paid shows on your public profile.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

It seems that the filter is not precise. At $60 and hour, I should technically show when I select the range for "$60/hr and Above", as well as in the range "$30/hr to $60/hr".

The fault is that I tried to find my profile by searching "$60/hr and Above" which failed to show any accounts that charge exactly $60/hr.

Also,

One of the major points here is that the listing *does not* include the number of projects, which is giving favoritism toward hourly project providers. The listing should show *both* hourly and total projects.

When a prospective client sees "0 Hours", but can't see that the provider completed 500 projects, it appears that the provider has done *no work*.

Also, by there being a filter/preference that a client can set when creating a posting that specifies they prefer providers that have completed a certain number of hours, but there is no complimenting filter for the number of projects, it again demonstrates that UpWork favors hourly work, even though the majority of projects are routinely fixed price.

I recognize that this may be a small issue for the few that refuse to do hourly projects, but still, it isn't hard to add one additional bit of information to the provider lister.

howdymedia

Hey, something changed! I started receiving invites again - I received 5 or 9 today (4 are messages from potential clients, though I'm not sure if they are the ones listed in the invite emails.)

If someone at UpWork did some magic, I appreciate it!

Time to respond to each of these...