Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not available for new work

lisawerk
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
1 of 15

I had a job invitation this morning that needed a fairly quick turnaround. While, overall, I have some time available for new projects, I didn't have the time to complete this one in the time it required, so I declined and clicked 'too busy on other projects.' Now all of a sudden my availability has reverted to 'not available for new work.'

Is it standard for my availability to reset because I click 'too busy' for one specific job?

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
2 of 15

I have seen other reports of the great and powerful Oz automatically changing your status when you say "too busy" to an invite. But, I have not had this happen yet. I find this odd because I often say "too busy" because I am too lazy to fill in the information required when choosing "other."

lisawerk
Community Guru
3 of 15

@Tonya P wrote:

I have seen other reports of the great and powerful Oz automatically changing your status when you say "too busy" to an invite. But, I have not had this happen yet. I find this odd because I often say "too busy" because I am too lazy to fill in the information required when choosing "other."

I've done that before too - 'too busy' can mean so many things, as in, "I'm too busy right now to take the time needed to think about/apply/interview for this job." I used to click 'too busy' and I don't think I remember it ever automatically changing my availability, but it happened right away this time.

lisawerk
Community Guru
4 of 15

I contact chat support and the rep wasn't sure if this is a glitch or a feature. He went off to talk to the engineers for a while but came back still unable to tell me if it's supposed to work this way or not. He said he's creating a ticket and will get back to me within an hour, so I guess it's just wait and see time.

kfarnell
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
5 of 15

That's a long hour.

It's happened to me more than once. It's easy enough to reset your availability, but shouldn't be necessary. Just because I'm too busy to do something today, doesn't mean UW should arbitrarily decided I'm too busy fora lengthy time.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 15

I made this mistake too when I first got here. I used to choose that option all the time on Elance and didn't think about the implications.

Never ever choose that option. lol  As a matter of fact, I always choose "other" so my declines aren't factored into any algorithm.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 15

Hi Lisa and others,

Did you decline that invitation on mobile by chance? I am following up with the team and they are investigating your and other reports of this issue. By design, your availability status shouldn't change even if you decline an invite with a reason "Too busy."

~ Valeria
Upwork
lisawerk
Community Guru
8 of 15

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Lisa and others,

Did you decline that invitation on mobile by chance? I am following up with the team and they are investigating your and other reports of this issue. By design, your availability status shouldn't change even if you decline an invite with a reason "Too busy."

Hi Valeria,

I don't recall how I declined, but I believe it was on my laptop.

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
9 of 15

Same thing has happened to me before.  I have long since started using the "other" reason for rejecting

kfarnell
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
10 of 15

I don't use my mobile for Upwork, so there's no chance I declined other than on my computer.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS