Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not being invited to jobs?

amanda_mh
Amanda F Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
1 of 31

Hi all!

I am just curious as to know why I am not being invited to jobs here on oDesk...I regularly get invited to jobs on Elance, but not here.

Just wondering if maybe I am missing something, or if there is something that I can do (outside of applying to jobs and growing my hours and reputation on oDesk, of course).

Maybe my profile is "hidden" somehow?  Or am I just impatient and paranoid? lol

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 31

There are three possible interpretations of what you are saying. It is not clear to me from your post which of the following best describes your feelings or situation:

1. "I regularly apply to appropriate jobs on oDesk, using up my job quota. But these days I never receive an invitation to interview or discuss the job further."

or

2. "on Elance I routinely am invited to jobs based purely on the fact that my profile is there. I do not proactively apply to jobs there, but I receive profitable invitations. I am wondering why oDesk doesn't yield the same relatively easy results for me."

or

3. "On oDesk I apply to jobs and I think I have a good profile. But I neither receive invitations from out of the blue from clients searching for my skill set, nor do I receive any invitations to interview for jobs, and I'm wondering why. I feel like I have had success on Elance but on oDesk I feel like I am invisible."

joshgingras3991
Josh G Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
3 of 31

You're only one of the many looking for a job. There are hundreds and thousands of people applying on oDesk, and Clients must look at all of them to ensure they're making the best pick.

Take a break from putting in applications, and focus on other oDesk tasks: tests, filling out your profile, and reading through some of the topics here on this forum. Keep at it, practice some patience, and the fruits of your labor will come.

Hope this helps, Amanda.

amanda_mh
4 of 31

Thank you, Josh Smiley Happy

lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
5 of 31

Whether the issue involves 1) not receiving invitations from oDesk clients in response to applications submitted by the freelancer; or 2) not receiving invitations from oDesk clients resulting from client initiated searches for freelancers, in both cases "visibility" is an overriding factor.

In the case of not receiving invitations from oDesk clients in response to applications submitted, the freelancer's applications might be located below those of applicants with supposedly better qualifications or even placed in a "hidden" folder, all of which is controlled by the oDesk "mad robots" (algorithms).

In the case of not receiving invitations from oDesk clients as a result of their searches for freelancers, the freelancer's applications might be located below those of applicants with supposedly better qualifications. Again, controlled by the oDesk "mad robots" (algorithms).

There might be other things to consider as well; things outside freelancers' control. For instance, oDesk had been experimenting on the live core site by providing clients with lists of recommended (maybe "featured") freelancers for consideration. You guesed it...those "mad robots" again!

Becoming well-established on oDesk these days is a lot harder than it used to be. Staying that way is even harder.

Best of luck!

"Visibility" (or the lack thereof) is indeed an overriding factor. Read other Community posts about the oDesk "mad robots" (algorithms).

Ron aka LanWanMan
amanda_mh
6 of 31

Thank you for the response!

I will just keep on keeping on Smiley Wink

P.S. I am quite near Ocala myself...love that area!  So gorgeous with all the horse properties.

mayangggg
lynnette mae c Member Since: Jun 23, 2010
7 of 31

HI, I have almost 15K hours logged at Odesk and 4.64 starts. I have applied straight for 3 weeks (25 applications) and no response and no invitations when in fact I have recieved before at least. Why is this? I am also hidden? How can these be resolved. I have been here at Odesk since 2010 and it is only now that I have these problem.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 31

Hi Lynnette May,

Sorry to hear you haven't received many invitations from clients lately. As long as you apply to jobs within your skillset your applications shouldn't be hidden. I would also recommend you revisit your oDesk profile and make some improvements such is capitalizing your name properly and expanding your profile overview. It should definitely help you attract good clients.

Best of luck!

~ Valeria
Upwork
peppee
Petronila O Member Since: Feb 6, 2015
9 of 31

Hi Valeria,

i am also facing the same problem as Lynnette May. I have been in Odesk since 2013 and its only now that my applications seems to be hidden.

i have confirmed from the Odesk support that my account is not under review.

My profile clearly states am an Academic/Reume writer.

I used to appear in all the list of job applications untill 2 weeks ago when it all began. i apply for jobs within my skill set by my name is still missing from the list of applicants.

Kindly offer a solution.

Regards,

Pet

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 31
Lynnette, it sounds like the math finally caught up with you and now your account is under review.

The only way to verify this is to open a ticket with customer service and ask them:
"Is my account under review? What should I do?"

Do NOT say anything else. Do not explain your situation. A short question will be more likely to yield a quick, accurate response.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS