cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Not being protected by Hourly Work in Upwork

dzahoul2
Daniel Z Member Since: Aug 8, 2017
1 of 9

Hi all, I just wanted to share my issues I have now with one client that I was working with him by the hour.

I finished the work succesfuly and added my hours for that week, and then he made the payment. But after some days I got an email from Upwork that  the client got a refund for that money. I was like Why? No answers. I found out that he had some issues with his account on Upwork and that everythign was sorted out.

He asked me to upload my next set of hours and that that past payement refunded will go as a Bonus. And I got an email from Upwork saying problem solved, that the contract and client are not suspended anymore and that we can work again. So I did and added my hours for this past week. 

Then I found yesterday that again, the account and contact is Suspended and of course again Im not getting paid.

On the chat in Upwork they said they "Upwork does not compensate for any failed payments that Clients make for Hourly contracts." But I mean if they have his credit details, and told me start working again and that is fixed, why they allow that to clients? and freelancers?

So my question here is, If I go and ask a freelancer for a job, and say add your hours and you will get paid at the end of this week like upwork do, then I can do something on my account, empty the account, change the card or something and then NOT PAY the freelancer? And of course I will not have a problem or follow up? I mean really is this something we need to worry about?

I thought Upwork said they protect the Hourly Work with freelancers?

Please let me know your thoughts!

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
2 of 9

Upwork payment protection only works if you record your hours using the time tracker app AND add a note in the memo line indicating what you are doing. 

So you must have: Recorded work with screen shots + Memo 

The client may very well have known this and that is the reason he asked you to add hours without using the time tracker. If the client account was suspended, it probably means that something is wrong with the credit card (invalid, approval revoked, stolen...)

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
3 of 9

Upwork offers payment protection on hourly jobs if you use the time tracker, show adequate activity, and make appropriate entries regarding what you were working on in the work diary. 

Manual time is, for obvious reasons, not afforded the same protection.

It sounds like maybe you need to do a bit of reading about how Upwork contracts work and how you can protect yourself before moving forward. 

View solution in original post

dzahoul2
4 of 9

Hi Tiffany,

Thanks for the reply. But my main thing is why the client was suspended, and refunded, then active again, and then again suspended. I mean thats the thing I dont get it. Why sending an email that everything is sorted and continue working with the client to nextthing is canceled again.

But yes I will have a look on the link you sent about the manual hours as this was my first hourly work.

Have a great day!!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 9

If you had used the tracker and worked according to the terms of the protection you would have been paid.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 9

I've had a lot of jobs on Upwork. Over 120. Were no problems with most.

But a couple of times the client's credit card had problems. I don't know the details. But Upwork paid me for the time out of their own pockets. So I didn't lose time or money.

I very rarely work without using the time-traker, and my memos are quite detailed.

(You know what? I can type quickly and enter descriptive info in that little box. And its an HOURLY contract, so I'm getting paid for that time, too, right? Why some people don't enter memos, I'll never understand...)

dzahoul2
7 of 9

Thanks Preston.

It was my first time working by the hour and the client told me how to add them manually. My mistake for not read and do it like you guys say with Memo and Time-tracker.

Next time I will work it that way.

Thanks all for your responses.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 9

Daniel,

Sorry to hear your payment had to be reversed. Please, note that if there are issues with client's payment method, their account is suspended along with their contracts until they fix the issue. The hours logged by freelancers are evaluated next to the terms of Upwork Hourly Protection. If they meet the requirements, they are paid according to the Weekly Billing Cycle. If not, unfortunately, the payment has to be reversed. 

Once the client fixed the issue with their account, you can ask them to pay you a bonus.

~ Valeria
Upwork
dzahoul2
9 of 9

Thank you Valeria.

I will try that, but of course client is not answering my messages or emails. So I doubt I get paid on this project.

But lesson learned for future hourly works on how to update the working hours.

Thanks and have a great day!!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS