cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting any jobs because of job success score!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Diana S Member Since: Jan 27, 2015
1 of 37

I am honestly feeling so discouraged right now, I have no idea what to do. I just started here a few months ago and have been doing really well, or at least by any metric I can think of... I've been getting great feedback from all of my clients, everyone has told me how happy they are with my work, and my score is a 4.97!

But I haven't gotten any new jobs in the last two weeks because of this stupid Job Success score! It showed up at 79% and I just have no idea how that could have happened! The ONLY few negative experiences I've had with clients were not my fault at all, and oDesk is welcome to go peruse my messages to confirm this... two clients paid me and told me they were happy but forgot to leave any feedback (and didn't respond to my messages after). One client wasn't happy with the way the product was spaced, I offered to redo it for free, she declined and I gave her a refund. The last client THOUGHT he had told me he would get a refund if he didn't like my paid audition sample (weird, I know)... by the time he realized he hadn't never said that to me, he'd already requested the refund and oDesk help told me I had to make it go through. oDesk Help suggested he open a second contract and pay me on that one, so I don't know if he left negative internal feedback twice? But again, none of this was my fault! (I even ASKED oDesk help about all of this to make sure I was doing it right!)

I'm an American with a degree from a top college, experience in my field, and a whole bunch of clients who have loved my work here and literally only 2 who have not, as I described above. I was getting lots of invitations two weeks ago and doing a great job on my contracts - now I'm not getting any invitatons and not getting accepted to any new jobs. And all this right before the new connect system comes out.

But seriously, what is a good freelancer supposed to do to succeed here? Is the future of oDesk just going to be that freelancers are penalized for any single thing that this crazy algorithm picks up on? I haven't done anything wrong here, so why am I being punished? 

oDesk's response has been almost laughable. They keep saying to do better work next time, but how can I do better if I don't get any new jobs? I have many clients I'm already working with and closed 3 contracts with 5* feedback... but the score hasn't even updated. How long is it supposed to take? Am I supposed to just sit around and not get any work in the meantime?

Aren't these refund and dispute systems supposed to protect freelancers? Why are they hurting us instead?

I put in a help request and still haven't heard back from anyone.

This whole thing feels like some kind of sick joke. I was so happy to have found this website, I even recommended other friends of mine to join. I feel so upset with how this has been handled and that I am being unfairly penalized. I'm wondering if I should just abandon this whole website. Surely there's got to be some freelancing site for a girl with top degrees and experience. Apparently it's not this place.... Anyone have any thoughts? (Or suggestions as to where I ought to take my work instead?)

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Heidi S Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
2 of 37

I am dealing with the same thing. I have 5 Star feedback and my Job Success Score is 72%! It is obsurd! I just started with oDesk in October and have completed many jobs successfully, many of which are repeat and long-term contracts. I have had a few clients not leave any feedback at all and I am being told this is part of the reason. I even received a warning email that if my job success does not improve my account will be suspended!

I am at a complete loss and frustrated by this change. I, too, have stopped receiving offers. It seems oDesk is focused on client satisfaction and completely ignoring the freelancers' needs.

Highlighted
Joseph Brummel B Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
3 of 37

Same goes to mine

oDesk is disrespectful to freelancers

im also doing great and my score are five stars..

but due to one client forgot to give me a feedback and closed the job..

the other 2 is an ongoing job..

they marked it as a negative Review

they didnt even bother to review the jobs since im earning on it

They hold my account for two weeks

and their representative are slow and arent very helpful

its very dissapointing and sad that i had to suffer though im doing great

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 37

Hi Diana,

I am sorry you feel discouraged. I have followed up with the Team and we will take another look into what might be affecting your Job Success score. Also, Job Success score updates at least every two weeks, so if you have recently completed jobs successfully it will soon be reflected on your profile.

I would also like to note that active contracts do not count Job Success score.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Blessing N Member Since: Nov 9, 2017
5 of 37
Hi Valeria,

It is quite disappointing that even in 2020, this is still a problem. I have not been active on Upwork for more than six months and I've gotten 5 star ratings from all my clients, I've also closed contracts immediately. I respond on time and thought I would get a good score, but I was given 79%. It is frustrating to do your best, impress clients, then find out it's not enough because some algorithm somewhere placed you at a job success that makes it difficult to get clients.
Highlighted
Alexander K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
6 of 37

1) Client open contract

2) Client hire 120 freelancers

3) Client close contract (no payments, no feedbacks)

And everyone lost they scores!!!

WHY?

We should every day ask our clients: Are you closing our contact today?

No logic in job success score calculation = No trust to oDesk...

Highlighted
Amandeep S Member Since: Apr 25, 2015
7 of 37
Spoiler
Working so hard from day to night we get this scores working at a price which is impossible and then also if a client leaves a negative personal feedback and a good public feedback what is the mistake of freelancer. It will ony comel freelancer to divert them to some more reliable and realsitic freelancing website then odesk. I am really frustrated about this. We dont know what is happening and what is certain anything can happen anytime.
Highlighted
Dipu Kumar B Member Since: Jul 2, 2015
8 of 37

Hello Diana

You are right!

I am also fetching this problem and not getting any job but my upwork profile is very strong and I have a lot of

previous good feedback.

We are not from USA so we can not handle this issue directly with upwork.

So I think it will be very good if you and some other freelancer face the upwork office directly and discuss about this

matter. If they get pressure from some good freelancer then they may review this bad system. We are all with you.

Have nice time.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 37

Hi Dipu Kumar,

You might want to consider closing your longstanding inactive contracts which are affecting your score. I also see you contacted our team directly by submitting a ticket.

Highlighted
Blessing N Member Since: Nov 9, 2017
10 of 37
It is quite disappointing that even in 2020, this is still a problem. I have not been active on Upwork for more than six months and I've gotten 5 star ratings from all my clients, I've also closed contracts immediately. I respond on time and thought I would get a good score, but I was given 79%. It is frustrating to do your best, impress clients, then find out it's not enough because some algorithm somewhere placed you at a job success that makes it difficult to get clients.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS