Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Not getting enough money?

Active Member
Isak E Member Since: Jun 15, 2018
1 of 18

So I recently completed a job for $10 and wanted to withdraw the money. I recieved the money after a couple of days but the amount i recieved is $6.3. This is alot less than the $10, and I am aware of the fees etc, but am I supposed for future jobs to request a payment amount so that I would recieve $10? Because a 40% decrease is a lot and the client having to pay 40% extra is unreasonable to me. What do you freelancers do? 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 18

@Isak E wrote:

So I recently completed a job for $10 and wanted to withdraw the money. I recieved the money after a couple of days but the amount i recieved is $6.3. This is alot less than the $10, and I am aware of the fees etc, but am I supposed for future jobs to request a payment amount so that I would recieve $10? Because a 40% decrease is a lot and the client having to pay 40% extra is unreasonable to me. What do you freelancers do? 


 Upwork takes a service fee. It is 20% on the first $ 500 with any one client, 10% on everything between $ 500 and $ 10000 earned from any one client, and 5% on everything over $ 10k

 

Then there is a withdrawal fee to your chosen withdrawal method, plus VAT on the service fee.

 

So you were paid $ 10 and Upwork took $ 2 for the service fee. This leaves you with $ 8.00. VAT in Sweden is 25% so 25% on $ 2.00 is $ 0.50 leaves you with $ 7.50

 

Then there is the withdrawal fee.

 

As a business you need to account for the costs of doing business by building them into your prices. I'd never withdraw $ 10.00 as it is simply not worth it. I usually withdraw in $ 500 + chunks.

 

You translated 800 words for $10 ????????????????

 

Good lord.

 

PS - how old are you?

 

 

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
3 of 18

@Petra R wrote:

@Isak E wrote:

So I recently completed a job for $10 and wanted to withdraw the money. I recieved the money after a couple of days but the amount i recieved is $6.3. This is alot less than the $10, and I am aware of the fees etc, but am I supposed for future jobs to request a payment amount so that I would recieve $10? Because a 40% decrease is a lot and the client having to pay 40% extra is unreasonable to me. What do you freelancers do? 


 Upwork takes a service fee. It is 20% on the first $ 500 with any one client, 10% on everything between $ 500 and $ 10000 earned from any one client, and 5% on everything over $ 10k

 

Then there is a withdrawal fee to your chosen withdrawal method, plus VAT on the service fee.

 

So you were paid $ 10 and Upwork took $ 2 for the service fee. This leaves you with $ 8.00. VAT in Sweden is 25% so 25% on $ 2.00 is $ 0.50 leaves you with $ 7.50

 

Then there is the withdrawal fee.

 

As a business you need to account for the costs of doing business by building them into your prices. I'd never withdraw $ 10.00 as it is simply not worth it. I usually withdraw in $ 500 + chunks.

 

You translated 800 words for $10 ????????????????

 

Good lord.

 

PS - how old are you?

 

The OP states on his profile that he is 18 years old. This explains many things.  


 

Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
4 of 18

"This explains many things."

 

No, it doesn't. Every day people come here asking about things or having problems or describing mistakes they have made. Most are well over 18, and some are several multiples of that number. Meanwhile I have worked with and read about some incredibly sharp cookies who are in their early 20s or late teens.

 

Let's not succumb to stereotyping based on age. It's not fun to be on the receiving end.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 18

@Charles K wrote:

"This explains many things."

 

No, it doesn't. Every day people come here asking about things or having problems or describing mistakes they have made. Most are well over 18, and some are several multiples of that number. Meanwhile I have worked with and read about some incredibly sharp cookies who are in their early 20s or late teens.

 

Let's not succumb to stereotyping based on age. It's not fun to be on the receiving end.


I believe that perhaps Reinier's statement is about having the experience and maturity to understand what running your own business means, and learing the ins and outs of the financial stuff that come with freelancing. That and nothing more. People signing up to be freelancer's at that age are, in my opionion, in need of real world experience before trying this freelancing stuff out - perhaps then they'll understand better how not to undervalue what they do and actually make decent money for their hard work.

Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
6 of 18

Well, the vast majority of people falling for scams, getting confused about basic site functions, not dealing with clients properly and making other mistakes are much older, and most have real world experience. So I don't tend to agree.

 

One could argue that experience is useful. One could also argue that younger people more easily learn and adapt than people who are used to doing things a certain way for many years. How often do we see people with full-time jobs start freelancing and expect X, Y or Z to be the same as when they had jobs?

 

This seems like it was a pretty simple misunderstanding of the fact that a fee would be charged for withdrawal, which we see all the time around here. Has nothing to do with age.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
7 of 18

Charles wrote; 

No, it doesn't. 

 

[Isak wrote:]

 

I'm 18, translating 800 words took less than an hour I thought $10 was ok for that considering it was my first job and I can work whenever and I want and wherever I am as long as I bring my laptop. I mean translating doesn't require any higher education so it can't be that valuable?

 

@Charles, see what I mean? In this case, there is a direct correlation between age, and a distinct lack of experience/knowledge of what it takes to perform professional translations. This is the message I conveyed in my originl comment.

 

Stereotyping does not enter into it at all- you simply misconstrued my comment, as Virginia pointed out.  

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 18

@Charles K wrote:

Let's not succumb to stereotyping based on age. It's not fun to be on the receiving end.


 My question was based on the fact that he is still at high school and may have been under 18.

 

@Isak E wrote:

translating 800 words took less than an hour

I mean translating doesn't require any higher education so it can't be that valuable?

 You are obviously not a translator.

 

Active Member
Isak E Member Since: Jun 15, 2018
9 of 18

I'm 18, translating 800 words took less than an hour I thought $10 was ok for that considering it was my first job and I can work whenever and I want and wherever I am as long as I bring my laptop. I mean translating doesn't require any higher education so it can't be that valuable?

Community Leader
Madison R Member Since: May 19, 2018
10 of 18

Isak,

 

As a fellow young person, the first mistake I made when I started out freelancing is charging too low. My original Upwork profile had a rate of $3/hr. Slowly, over a year or two, that has gone to $20/hr, which many think is still too low. But after fees, that leaves me $16/hr. Of course, I'm American so my payments go straight into my bank account without extra fees, so I don't need to factor that in. 

 

Advice: calculate how much you would like to earn per hour (or per however many words), add 40%, and that's what you should charge. 

 

I hope that helps, and good luck with freelancing!

 

PS: Feel free to send me a message if you ever need any advice. I know it's hard to get started in freelancing when you don't have a ton of "real-world" experience, but it's possible. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS