Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting enough money?

Community Leader
Marina R Member Since: Sep 30, 2016
11 of 18

Isak, I agree with Madison. 

Don't charge too low. When I help my clients hire, I immediately disregard people who charge too low because there is a mindset they won't do a good job.

My first job was at $4/per hour, but now I charge over $30. That happened in less than 6 months, and I learned quickly that no one would really hire me unless I charged more. 

And, I've done translating - it's a valuable skill to have. Translators charge a lot more than that, and they charge by the word/character, not by the hour. Look into it. 

Also, try not to withrdraw money unless you have quite a bit - it's expensive to withdraw if it's just a little bit. Especially with European banks. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
12 of 18

@Isak E wrote:

I'm 18, translating 800 words took less than an hour I thought $10 was ok (...) I mean translating doesn't require any higher education so it can't be that valuable?

You have no idea, have you?  Average rates charged for translations

Poor Isak... I was about to add poor client, but I guess they had what they paid for.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 18

@Rene K wrote:

I guess they had what they paid for.

That's the bottom line.

Isak E Member Since: Jun 15, 2018
14 of 18

"They had what they paid for"? The client wanted the text to be translated and so I translated it to Swedish and I don't see how any real professional translator would've done it differently. But I see your point for more difficult translations.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 18

@Isak E wrote:

"They had what they paid for"? The client wanted the text to be translated and so I translated it to Swedish and I don't see how any real professional translator would've done it differently. But I see your point for more difficult translations.

I daresay the client wasn't too fussy. And you were probably well capable of translating the piece into Swedish. However, given that you put such a low value on translation as a skill, I very much hope you do not attempt medical or legal translation. 

Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
16 of 18

Everyone here knows there's a huge range of client project quality here. There is lots of work for people doing translation for clients with small budgets and modest requirements, and there's nothing wrong with Isak working that end of the market as long as he doesn't misrepresent anything and pleases the client. I've seen profiles from translators filled with horrendous English mistakes who charged a lot more.

He got a 5 star review. Why is everyone jumping all over him, aside from the usual?

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
17 of 18

@Charles K wrote:

Everyone here knows there's a huge range of client project quality here. There is lots of work for people doing translation for clients with small budgets and modest requirements, and there's nothing wrong with Isak working that end of the market as long as he doesn't misrepresent anything and pleases the client. I've seen profiles from translators filled with horrendous English mistakes who charged a lot more.

He got a 5 star review. Why is everyone jumping all over him, aside from the usual?

I wasn't aware of jumping all over him, and I am sure, as I said, that he translated perfectly competently, nor did I say anything about working for too much or too little. However, I think it is somewhat foolhardy (apart from being rather insulting) when somebody with absolutely no experience states on a public forum that translation is of little value, especially when he is offering precisely that skill to clients who might think otherwise,   

Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
18 of 18

I meant the responses here collectively, not yours specifically.

There are people who want high-end translation and will pay for it, and there are people who want quick and cheap and will only pay for that. Chaque a son gout.

He could have perhaps expressed it differently but I think it's pretty clear what he was trying to say, which is that there is lots of translation work that goes for small amounts of money and doesn't require extensive training or experience. It won't be as good as that done by those who have training and experience, but this is the case in every field.

Maybe over time he'll learn that there's more to it and that he can improve his skills and what he charges. But there's a huge market for quick-and-dirty translation as we all know.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS