🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Not getting hired/interviewed any more
Page options
sadiamansab
Community Member

Not getting hired/interviewed any more

I know it sounds strange, but I'm not sure if my profile settings are still right.

I am not a fresh freelancer; I understand how to apply for jobs and how to make my proposal appealing to clients.

In the past, I was normally hired/interviewed within 6-10 proposal's submission.
However, I have not been hired in the last 3-4 days. So far, within these days, I've submitted nearly 30 proposals and have not recieved even a single interview.

It feels strange and something seems wrong.

Is there any Guru who could check my profile and please let me know if everything is fine with my profile/ID?

Many many thanks.

PS: Yes my id is public.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rafsun_ug
Community Member

Actually, it's not strange, it's actually very common here.

I don't think it depends on a fresh or expert Upworker, or the best cover letter or the best profile description. (Personally, I do not think, the first 2 lines of your profile are not necessarily needed.)

You are worried about not getting hired for 3 to 4 days only! My condition is worse than you. I haven't seen any new client's message for the last 10 or more days. I had applied for probably <>20 jobs this month and I got only 2 new clients this month and the month is about to end. Trust me, I know very well that if I start to worry, my worrying will not give me anything here. But yes, I have some old clients, sometimes they save me. 🙂
I think you should just forget the proposal you proposed and go forward with the new application. Otherwise, it will just give you pain.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
rafsun_ug
Community Member

Actually, it's not strange, it's actually very common here.

I don't think it depends on a fresh or expert Upworker, or the best cover letter or the best profile description. (Personally, I do not think, the first 2 lines of your profile are not necessarily needed.)

You are worried about not getting hired for 3 to 4 days only! My condition is worse than you. I haven't seen any new client's message for the last 10 or more days. I had applied for probably <>20 jobs this month and I got only 2 new clients this month and the month is about to end. Trust me, I know very well that if I start to worry, my worrying will not give me anything here. But yes, I have some old clients, sometimes they save me. 🙂
I think you should just forget the proposal you proposed and go forward with the new application. Otherwise, it will just give you pain.

Thank you so much for the advises.

I've got two basic questions for you and i hope you will answer me.

1. How you are at 100%? How?

2. You said "new application", What it means?

jaycrutcher
Community Member

It happens. I have a good amount of work currently, but I have some space I could fill and there isn't much out there fitting for me. If I finish everything and nothing new comes up I'll just work on personal projects that will also enhance my portfolio. Be patient, and be selective. Don't panic more work will come in time.

Thank you for the advise : )

c63ea194
Community Member

I don't know if it's a coincidence, but the time you mentioned (3-4 days ago) begins exactly from the time of that bad review of 2.4 stars.

My opinion is that YES, this bad review affects the potential clients that look at your profile. 

On the other side, 30 proposals it's not too many. It's statistically very possible to get 0 response from 30 proposals, especially if the number of job/proposals is 20-50 or 50+

I would suggest you  try to work on a couple of tiny/cheep projects so that this bad review will go down in your profile. Tiny/cheep projects are easier to get

There are good times and bad times, its a part of life.

With the passage of time, I'm becoming more and more puzzled by the fact that,

How does Upwork calculate and project the quality of services?

Is Upwork on the hand of the client or the freelancer, or simply acting as a filter between the two?
Is Upwork siding with one or the other or not at all?

Yes, one of my jobs received a 2.4 star rating.
But which one is more valuable in Upwork's eyes?

19 jobs with 5/5 star or one job with 2.4/5 star, or is it all laid out there for client to decided?
Are these calculations straight and simple or are these complicated or AI based?

I'm not accusing anybody here; I'm just curious.

Because there is something here which is strange or i should say not known by me,  and i don't know, what it is.

Let me try to explain what I'm talking about. ,

You said "30 proposals it's not too many",

Well my dear, they are too many to me. Here on Upwork, there is another sowrd hanging on a freelancer neck, which is "account suspension due to an excessive number of proposals".

I've come to notice that it's an avarage of 250 connects, that if you throw 250 connects to get a job and don't get a single one in exchange, your account will be suspended.

So, I've learned how to get clients' attention, but even that "procedural formula" isn't working.

Yes you are right when a client get 50 proposal,then he got so much to choose from and it is not going to be me. Yes I understand this point. On other hand I've come to experience that cheep projects are nota good choice at all. Cheap project are given by those client's which are not valuing the effort a freelancer put in their project to gain 5 stars. Sorry to say but cheap projects are given by cheap clients.

Sadia M wrote:

Yes, one of my jobs received a 2.4 star rating.
But which one is more valuable in Upwork's eyes?

It has nothing to do with what Upwork think (do be prepared for your JSS to suffer though) - It may be what is stopping some clients from inviting you/hiring you from your proposals. In other words, they see it and go with another freelancer. Once it moves down the page, it'll stop having much of an effect.

Sadia M wrote:

Here on Upwork, there is another sowrd hanging on a freelancer neck, which is "account suspension due to an excessive number of proposals".

No, there isn't. Upwork USED to suspend people who sent lots of proposals and were never (or almost never) hired, but stopped that around the time connects were introduced. You are being hired, so even back then that wasn't anything to worry about.

And 30 proposals is probably just one of those dry spells. Sometimes you get 3 out of 5 you apply for, then none for a while. It averages out.

Sadia M wrote:

I've come to notice that it's an avarage of 250 connects, that if you throw 250 connects to get a job and don't get a single one in exchange, your account will be suspended.

First of all that is nonsense, and secondly, if someone can't win a job with 250 connects, they actually SHOULD be (but aren't) suspended for their own or everyone else's protection. It either means they are not what clients want and are wasting their time and money buying connects, or it means that they are cheatrs who take the work outside the platform.

Sadia M wrote:

On other hand I've come to experience that cheep projects are nota good choice at all. Cheap project are given by those client's which are not valuing the effort a freelancer put in their project

This is absolutely true. The really horrid clients are almost exclusively in the cheap sector.

sadiamansab
Community Member

I wish I could have selected all three of your responses as a solution.
Because it's fascinating that each of you Gurus taught me a different approach to overcome this issue, and even more interestingly, each of you is right.

My final thought is that the more effort you put into it, the higher you will climb.
It's all set out for you; all you have to do now is make the right decisions as time goes by and keep learning and understand this, it's a never ending battle.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members