🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Not getting hired last month
Page options
toshimself
Community Member

Not getting hired last month

Hi there guys!

Since the update of the new connects system I got total zero hires for last ~20-30 days.

My profile is top rated 100% job success

I spend 1-2 proposals a day average, and got zero hires for the last month!

For sure, since every connect is now payable I do apply job very selective!! Now I do not apply if client's payment not verified or low hire rate percentage. And I see that I'm not alone here, there wasn't such a situation like this never before on UPWORK/ELANCE: Many jobs got "less than 5 proposals"! 

I think this is a really sad situation for ALL

Ok, now I do understand that I need to apply more jobs to get a chance.

I suppose I need to apply 5 times a day at least.

5jobs * 4 connects = 20 connects a day

30 * 20 = 600 connects a month! That's about a hundred bucks a month AND even no guarantee that you'll be hired!

My belief in Upwork is getting lower now, let's just imagine, 3 months - no hires and that's will cost me ~300$, okay, lets add more positive - for the 3rd month I got hired for 300$ job, so great, ZERO earnings for 3 months. Sounds really pessimistic but is this even legal? In the meaning of humanity prerogative of course.

There must be changes!

My current mood is to search for some other fireplace.

And just curious will Upwork not lose great people/clients?

12 REPLIES 12
frederick_steve
Community Member

I'm not impressed or happy with Upwork.  Got one job so far. Woo hoo! In the last couple of days, I sent out 30 bids and got one response, not hired. It's really tough to get your first jobs. I'm not a novice. I have great samples, but nothing. I even bid $10 on one job, and still didn't get it. Plus, Upwork doesn't give credit for flat rate jobs. It still tells people I have NO experience on Upwork. 

Upwork's system encourages employers to take advantage of freelancers. These clowns know we need ratings, so they say, "If you write me a 5,000-word piece for $5, I'll give you a good rating. They ought to kick these people off the site. 

Steve F wrote:

I'm not impressed or happy with Upwork.  Got one job so far. Woo hoo! In the last couple of days, I sent out 30 bids and got one response, not hired. It's really tough to get your first jobs. I'm not a novice. I have great samples, but nothing. I even bid $10 on one job, and still didn't get it. Plus, Upwork doesn't give credit for flat rate jobs. It still tells people I have NO experience on Upwork. 

Upwork's system encourages employers to take advantage of freelancers. These clowns know we need ratings, so they say, "If you write me a 5,000-word piece for $5, I'll give you a good rating. They ought to kick these people off the site. 

It does sound like it is time to pack it up and move on. 

I have also not been able to land a new project since April.  I did finally just get one last week.

hamid147
Community Member

I have a very Good profile with 100% success Rate and completed 350 jobs on Upwork. But I am not getting response from client when submitting proposal from Last 2 months.

I have submitted over 100 proposal in last 30 days but about 90 of them are still open and client hasn't selected even a single person for the Job. I have spent around $25 to buy Connects but it's useless so far. I have used various cover letters to submit proposals but it's not working at all.

luce_illustrates
Community Member

I'm new to Upwork and to be honest, I'm not impressed with this site at all so far! I've submitted so many proposals even when I don't have much time to do it because I should be working on my portfolio, and only three are 'interviewing' me for the last month. And I've been waiting for these people who have interviewed me to let me know if they want me to do the job for them or not for weeks now. I find it frustrating and a bit of a waste of time.

It seems that the clients that come on here are so unreliable?? Because they won't make a hire, so it is wasting a lot of freelancers' time writing up different cover letters and answering questions and applying proposals to get no work? And we have to spend money to get more connects? Where am I going to get the money to pay for more connects if I'm not getting any paying work yet?

And soooo many jobs on here are asking for freelancers to work for little money, and their projects are usually going to last for months. I think the clients need to be educated on how much their projects might cost them if they want an experienced freelancer.

Should I really stay on here or just leave and find work elsewhere?

Same here. I canceled my freelancer plus account yesterday before I waste another penny. I have found better options for my line of work outside of the freelancing sites. And that is unfortunate because everything was going great for me here before everything just stopped. 

There are many jobs posted, for US Only, Payment verified jobs in the IT & Networking, and Data Science & Analytics categories. But no hires. That seems very odd. 

And the daily count of new jobs in these two categories seems low. I don't see how that is sustainable for a company the size of Upwork. 

Are Clients are even seeing the bids? 

I agree with all of you. I have submitted many proposals in the last 2 months and have not been hired by any new clients. I get some jobs from returning customes, but that is about it. 

Something strange is going on here. I am not asking anyone to hire just me, would be good if the clients hired any freelancer who sends proposal - they seem to leave the site and they do not even check it again. They waste not only their time, but first of all freelancer's time.

Can Upwork do something about those unreliable clients, please?

I have also seen a big slowdown in new jobs over the past six weeks.

Maybe it's just a blip, a random drop, but it's the slowest I've seen in the past three or four years on Elance and now on Upwork.

Time will tell.

Yes, it is the biggest slowdown I have ever seen here. Hopefully it will get better after Christmas. I guess you are right, all we can do is wait and hope for better times. 

sivavranagaro
Community Member

I've spent about 200 connects so far for nothing.

I had uglier portfolio earlier and was getting more jobs. 

Don't pay for these connects. Rather order a pizza.

My situation is that I mostly get jobs from repeat clients. I've been thinking of canceling my freelancer plus account for quite a few months: I've got tons of connects, and once in a while I bid for jobs. However, I rarely get a job. I'm thinking it's not worth keeping so many connects as they don't seem to be worth using.

frederick_steve
Community Member

Just saw this, but I wanted to add my thoughts. Just today, I saw someone who wanted twenty 1500-word articles and wanted to pay $5 each. (And of course, Upwork takes 20%)  Really!! There are more and more jobs like this. People have gotten the message that they can be sub-minimum wage on Upwork. Who can live on this? Seems to me that Upwork should work for everyone, including freelancers. Upwork needs to do something to stop this exploitation or there will be mass desertions of freelancers. 

Steve F wrote:

Just saw this, but I wanted to add my thoughts. Just today, I saw someone who wanted twenty 1500-word articles and wanted to pay $5 each. (And of course, Upwork takes 20%)  Really!! There are more and more jobs like this. People have gotten the message that they can be sub-minimum wage on Upwork. Who can live on this? Seems to me that Upwork should work for everyone, including freelancers. Upwork needs to do something to stop this exploitation or there will be mass desertions of freelancers. 

I can only agree you. Upwork does not rise my motivation to work here. That's why I apply for a job here only if I am interested on that project itself and not to make money. And everybody can guess it. I never did a job here. I took jobs from other sites or even they found my by looking for someone and saw my posts helping other people. I think it is really good idea to introduce minimium low price.

Yesterday I saw a job post. It was "exprienced / senior developer" job at it starts with $16/hr. Really?

Also I see many times they add skills which is not needed. Example I am looking sometimes for jobs with Unity Engine. They add Unity Engine even if they are looking for other developer like Unreal Engine Developer or native android developer. Don't get why. It is wasting my time.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths