Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting hired

hussain_sarah
Sarah H Member Since: Apr 11, 2016
1 of 12

Hi,

I am new here on upwork.
Although my profile shows charges of $45 per hour, but that is because I really have experience in writing during my academic career.
I have applied for about 30 jobs, but I have not been hired for a single one since 2 weeks. And 3 proposals got rejected.

I even bid low, after not getting response.
What should i do ?
I really need jobs.

ramzan33
Community Leader
Md.Ramzanul H Member Since: Dec 21, 2013
2 of 12

Hi,

I hope you will get job ASAP.  At this moment the job is going to be very difficult to get . keep it up ! I am also trying to get new job but i didn't get the job yet . 

I think it's the problem of Upwork algorithm . I have seen that all sometimes site issue problem here . But i sure that you will get job ASAP .

Thanks 

Ramzanul
tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
3 of 12

It takes time to build your reputation in a new market. I would recommend that you focus your overview on your specific areas of expertise. There are jobs posted that call for your field of knowledge. 

Make the first two sentences of your overview tell the client why you are the best hire for their job.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 12

I would cut the creative writing part of your profile. You have a PharmD, so you're playing in a more snooty, formal area. Creative writing kinda kills that look.

Bank on your PharmD background. If you indeed have it, you will blow the 95% of unqualified applicants away.

Where you will struggle is that your English is not that great, so all things being equal, you will likely lose out to someone with the same qualifications but stronger English.

hussain_sarah
5 of 12

Hi Jennifer,
Although im answering late, I actually did not recieve notification of replies here.
I tried to nail down the overview specifically to Pharmacy.
And uploaded the issued transcript to portfolio, does it look ok ?

Plus, Im confused. I am finally hired by a client who offered me another job instead on the one posted. Although his payment method is verified, Im unable to shake the feeling that something's fishy.

I sent him an article as an overview of my writing. Now he asked for a free test article regarding foods, saying that he wants to make sure before hiring on long term.

1st: he hired a job demanding a sample research article. He required a total of 50. 50 freelancers applied and all would have sent him articles for job. So, inshort he got his task done cleverly in a free way.

I want to ask, should i send my work to client via upwork message ? or is there some other forum here where we finally send our work to client ensuring that we are paid?

lysis10
Community Guru
6 of 12

@sarah H wrote:

Hi Jennifer,
Although im answering late, I actually did not recieve notification of replies here.
I tried to nail down the overview specifically to Pharmacy.
And uploaded the issued transcript to portfolio, does it look ok ?

Plus, Im confused. I am finally hired by a client who offered me another job instead on the one posted. Although his payment method is verified, Im unable to shake the feeling that something's fishy.

I sent him an article as an overview of my writing. Now he asked for a free test article regarding foods, saying that he wants to make sure before hiring on long term.

1st: he hired a job demanding a sample research article. He required a total of 50. 50 freelancers applied and all would have sent him articles for job. So, inshort he got his task done cleverly in a free way.

I want to ask, should i send my work to client via upwork message ? or is there some other forum here where we finally send our work to client ensuring that we are paid?

Yeah, I saw your other post. You got scammed out of free work. He's taking advantage cuz you're new. Tell him that you're happy to start as soon as he funds escrow. He'll probably disappear. Report the job too because he's probably done this to several noobs.

I only send through the messenger when the client hasn't officially requested changes through the milestone. I submit to the milestone first, then if the client comes back and asks for changes without stopping the clock on escrow release, I then submit to the messenger. Otherwise, always submit to the funded milestone. You will see it in your My Jobs page. 

hussain_sarah
7 of 12

Should i send test article in an interview ?

lysis10
Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
8 of 12

@sarah H wrote:

Should i send test article in an interview ?

No. This is what you say "No problem. I'll get started as soon as funds are escrowed."

No test articles. That's a scam. Don't be a noob. Be smart. Your time is money and they need to pony up the dough or get bent. 

View solution in original post

j_muiruri
Community Leader
Joseph G Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
9 of 12

Upwork did something we as freelancers are unable to understand up-to-date! I worked for more than 36 jobs in upwork but the first 30 was when this was oDesk. That time there was more advantages than the current platform.

1, New freelancers were getting their first Job ASAP.

2, There were ample job application Quators

3, There were Less people

4, There were nowhere you could see "upgrade your account"

5, Job interviews was a usual thing

6, I could wake up in the morning and see the first thing "you have (3) pending offers please accept to start working

7, Direct hires was also a usual things.

I cant complete the list........................it continues...................

COMPARED TO THIS UPWORK MANAGEMENT all the above are opposite and if you ask the support they ussualy say dont quit, complete your profile, do the tests and apply the jobs that matches your profile; Yes, its good but my question, Why was i, and some other freelancers were working full time at oDesk compared to Upwork where you cant even put hope on?  Sarah we are sailing in the same boat because i am just like you, applying all my connects but no any client responds!!! I both love and hate upwork sometimes and miss oDesk!

hussain_sarah
10 of 12

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your reply.
I want your help regarding another issue:

I am finally hired by a client who offered me another job instead on the one posted. Although his payment method is verified, Im unable to shake the feeling that something's fishy.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS