🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Not getting paid because "Boss is angry"
Page options
alek-website
Community Member

Not getting paid because "Boss is angry"

Hello. I am a new freelancer on Upwork and I accept literally all jobs just to collect good ratings. I had a job where I had to transfer the whole website for 50 USD to Wordpress(For non-techy people that is a few days of work). Yes, I know, that's dirt cheap, but I needed that job.

The first day(out of four)

I spent the whole day setting up the host, website, plugins, making performance tests, just checking everything to know what I can do to make the website faster. I add all pages needed for the website and then my client sends me the request to redesign the whole homepage. This would not be a problem for 200-300 USD but hey, I need this job. So I start working on that and at 7 PM client tells me that he needs the website today even though the timeline had 3 days more. I stay up till 3 AM and in the morning he cancels the contract because his boss is not happy with the progress.

I am afraid of a negative rating and/or not getting paid.

I need a support agent to help me.

EDIT: 

The contract was pulled because "My boss asked me to cancel the contract if the work is done is not as per the requirement given by us"

But the timeline was not per contract too...(three days!)

Is there a way to block the client or directly connect with the agent?

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Alek J wrote:

Hello. I am a new freelancer on Upwork and I accept literally all jobs just to collect good ratings

Very bad idea. That's a surefire way to actually wreck your profile

Presumably the client asked for the escrow funds back? You have to decide if you want to dispute or agree.

The feedback is already left, so that ship has sailed.

I know that that is a bad idea now heh...

So I sent a dispute and the money is in the escrow but I never been in this situation. Also, I have three five star ratings only, what if he leaves now a one-star rating, can Upwork support remove that rating? I lost my job and started working here so this is very very important to me.

Alek J wrote:

I know that that is a bad idea now heh...

So I sent a dispute and the money is in the escrow but I never been in this situation. Also, I have three five star ratings only, what if he leaves now a one-star rating, can Upwork support remove that rating? I lost my job and started working here so this is very very important to me.

The option to remove a (public) rating is available for top rated freelancers. 

But if they see that my client is in the wrong and I did everything that i needed, and exceeded, and if the client leaves the negative rating, can they remove it?

Alek J wrote:

But if they see that my client is in the wrong and I did everything that i needed, and exceeded, and if the client leaves the negative rating, can they remove it?

No. Upwork doesn't go into deciding if feedback is fair or not.

If you get paid, the feedback will be visible.

If you don't get paid, the feedback won't be visible, but affect your JSS when you get one. Because your other jobs were so small, this one will weigh heavily. Your Rising Talent status will likely also go.

What's the client's history like? What feedback did they leave to other freelancers?

You absolutely MUST get yourself out of the lowest-of-the-low-cost mud you have decided to put yourself in. The clients in that sector don't value freelancers. Up your hourly rate (significantly) and your prices. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members