🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Not hearing from client consistently -- shoul...
Page options
keith-chirch-mer
Community Member

Not hearing from client consistently -- should I do something?

I was hired at the end of May for a project. I worked for a couple of weeks. I was paid for that time. Then almost two months passed -- the last date worked was June 5. August 8 the client reached out and asked to work with me on another project. I agreed. He cancelled the call after getting on the line because he said something came up, and that I could bill him for the hour. I haven't heard from him since. Is it hurting my account to have this as an "open" job? This is my first job on Upwork so I have no idea if there is something I should do.

Thank you!

Meredith

3 REPLIES 3
kat303
Community Member

You could message him and ask him politely and professionally to close the contract.

Hi XXX, I've enjoyed working with you. Since the requirements of the job have been met I would appreciate it if you could close the contract. In the future if you have more work, you can easily rehire me by just clicking on the Hire button on my profile. It was a pleasure working with you and I hope we can work together again in the future.

After that,don't keep messaging him. He knows where to find you if he wants to work with you again, or if he has work for you. As long as you've gotten paid, leaving the job open won't hurt you. After you've have completed a few jobs, you can then close this job (if the client didn't close it)

florydev
Community Member

Meredith K wrote:

I was hired at the end of May for a project. I worked for a couple of weeks. I was paid for that time. Then almost two months passed -- the last date worked was June 5. August 8 the client reached out and asked to work with me on another project. I agreed. He cancelled the call after getting on the line because he said something came up, and that I could bill him for the hour. I haven't heard from him since. Is it hurting my account to have this as an "open" job? This is my first job on Upwork so I have no idea if there is something I should do.

Thank you!

Meredith

I don't think it hurts because you were paid.  You probably do want it closed though so you can get some positive feedback on  your profile and start working your way to a Job Success Score.  You want the client to close the project so they are the ones required to leave feedback.

I think early on it is important to bank some reviews when you can.  

prestonhunter
Community Member

Remember:

A client may stop working with a freelancer at any time.

A freelancer may stop working with a client at any time.

This is completely permissible.

A client may hire a freelancer to do some work, and then once she gets the work done that she needs, she may not log into Upwork again.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members